20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 4:27 PM by A.T. Romano

Error compiling MPG movie

skybird70

Error states I do not have permission to crete or delete the output file. How do I fix?

• 1. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•Have you viewed the tutorial links at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 page to learn the program?

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 9 with the 9.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

If you are on Windows, read Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 (Encore + "All" versions of Premiere)

• 2. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
            A.T. Romano Level 7

skybird70

I just got finished browsing your latest posts so that I could customize my response accordingly.

Looks like you are working on Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit. Your most recent post indicated

serious problems, troubleshooting was suggested, but there was no follow up with regard to the resolution of

those issues. The issue at the time was that you could not open a Premiere Elements 12 new project, and you were

unable to get through to Adobe Chat.

The last that we heard from you on that matter was March 14, 2014. Right now I am trying to determine if and how you resolved the March

14 th issue and if your present situation is really a continuation of the old versus a new problem.

If we assume that this is a new problem, then now we need to explore how you set up the new project

a. properties of source media that went into the project

b. what you or the program set as the project preset

c. what you export choice is - Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG, preset used and any customization that you

made to the export settings.

d. what are you setting as the Save In location for this MPEG movie that you want to produce?

Do you have the latest verison of QuickTIme installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12?

Are you running the program Run As Administrator and from a User Account with Administrative Priviledges?

What is the exact wording of the error message that you are getting - does the message include both

a. Error Compiling Movie

as well as

b. Do not have permission...

Please review the above and then we can decide what next for your specific situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
              skybird70 Level 1

ATR, yesterday I spent over an hour on the Adobe chat line with a person that fixed my opening up new project.  Cannot tell you what they did it looked more like magic to me. The program runs okay now except for the Publish error only for the MPEG output option. The other two Publish output options work and write their files to the location which I have directed.

The source video files came from my Sony video camera mp4 format.

Publish choice is set for MPEG.

Save location is the same folder as the source files on my data drive D:

Yes I have the latest version of QuickTime installed.

Yes I am running the program as Adminsistrtor from my Administrative account which has all rights.

Exact error message is the following: "Error Compiling movie - you do not have permission to create of delete the output file".

Many thanks, Jim Ross

• 4. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                A.T. Romano Level 7

skybird70

Thanks for the reply. All the information was very helpful.

We are going to go after compiling errors systematically,

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/error-error-compiling-movie-render.html

but first

1. When you are in Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG, change the Save In location to the computer desktop.

(also let us know how much free hard drive space you have on your Local Disc C as well as this D drive that you

were saving to).

You wrote: Save location is the same folder as the source files on my data drive D:

Just in case note....

Are you aware of all the export choices under Publish+Share/Computer/. Often a user thinks that there are only 3, but

there are more beyond Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, and AVCHD. There is a scroll bar to the right of the list for you to

scroll down to the others. Another way to get to them is to select Adobe Flash Video so that its panel is blue. The tap

on the down arrow key to move down through the list of export choices.

Depending on your results with changing the Save In location, then we will move into the project details to find the

problem.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                  skybird70 Level 1

ATR,

I tried to save to desktop but no change, still get the same error.

Thanks for the tip on how to find the other output formats. I tried avi and it works okay.

Regards, Jim Ross

• 6. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim Ross

If you have not already, please right click the desktop icon for Premiere Elements 12 and select Run As Administrator. See if that changes anything.

How much free hard drive space do you have on the Local Disk C and the D drive?

Let us go deeper in the Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG export to see if we can locate the source of the error.

What are you selecting for Presets? Are you leaving the default export settings or are you customizing them by clicking on the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab of what you have set in the Presets field?

If possible post a screenshot of the Export Settings customization area of your MPEG preset. For example...

If you select Presets = NTSC DVD Standard, then click on Advanced Tab/Video Tab. You should see

MPEG.JPG

Please ignore the Summary Source information in the screenshot since it relates only to what

I had on my Timeline.

We will be watching for further information in the morning.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 7. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                      skybird70 Level 1

ATR,

I have my program software on C: drive which has 75GB free space. My data drive D: has 343 GB of free space.

I am using the default export settings.

Regards,

Jim Ross

• 8. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                        skybird70 Level 1

John,

See below for my answers to your questions.

Many thanks,

Jim Ross

• 9. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim Ross

Thanks for the information.

Please double check and post what you see in the MPEG area (circled in red in the screenshot)

for Save In: and File Size and Duration...just before you hit Save.

MPEGDefault.JPG

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                            skybird70 Level 1

Attached is the screenshot that you requested.

This is just before I hit the save.

Regards.

Jim Ross

• 11. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim Ross

Thanks for the reply. The screenshot did not get posted. Could you try again?

If you have not already

a. generate the screenshot as a jpeg, typically with the longest side no greater than about 900 pixels.

b. sign in to Premiere Elements Forum from your computer browser

c. go to your thread and post a reply...while you are in the reply go to the camera icon above the reply

field and insert your jpeg photo into the reply after Browse and Insert.Image.

If that does not work, then let us focus on you just writing into the reply

Save In:

File Size:

Duration:

information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                                skybird70 Level 1

Here is my screen shot.

Premiere 12 Screen Shot 2.jpg

• 13. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                                  skybird70 Level 1

I posted the screenshot as requested on the thread.

Many thanks,

Jim Ross

• 14. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim Ross

Thanks for the screenshot.

Did you notice. Your MPEG area doesn not have the "Share WorkAreaBarOnly option. It should.

Close Premiere Elements and let us delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work to solve the problem, then we delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited. Also, be sure to stay on the folders path cited.

We may be getting into uninstalls reinstalls for QuickTime and Premiere Elements 12, but for now let us see the results of resetting the settings file.

Thanks for the follow up information which is very important.

ATR

• 15. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                                      skybird70 Level 1

ATR,

I do not have a Owner folder. In my case do you mean the Administrator folder?

All of the other steps were the same as you stated but the results were the same. I still got the same error.

Many thanks,

Jim Ross

• 16. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim Ross

Thanks. That owner folder can be named just owner or have a name that you give it.

But, am I correct that the error remained the same whether you deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file or the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists? If that is so and your drive capacities are as stated, then it is time for uninstall/reinstall.

Let us do this in stages...

Operation QuickTime.

a. Go to Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime and determine that you have all the Presets for QuickTime.

If not, stop and post that they are not there.

quicktime.jpg

If you have all QuickTime Presets, then uninstall QuickTime.

Then deactivate Premiere Elements 12.1 (Help Menu/Sign Out)

Uninstall Premiere Elements 12.1 the usual Control Panel route.

Do a ccleaner run through https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Back together

Then first reinstall QuickTime latest version.

Then reinstall Premiere Elements 12 and then 12.1 (with antivirus and firewalls off).

Is the MPEG error problem gone?

Please review and let us see if any of the above has had any impact on the MPEG error

matter.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...When you are at Publish+Share/Computer/AVI or QuickTime or Windows Media for example, do you see an option for

Share WorkAreaBar Only for each of them?

• 17. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                                          skybird70 Level 1

ATR,

I followed your steps and it worked. 

When I first tried to start Premiere it would not open a project. I remembered how the Adobe chat person changed the compatibility to Vista Service Pack 2 which made everything work.

Now all features seem to be working.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Jim Ross

• 18. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim Ross

Wonderful news.

Thank you for looking at the suggestions and getting them to work for you. Great job.

Could you please confirm that are running the program without any specific resetting in the Properties/Compatibility Mode? Are you still on Vista Service Pack 2? Please remind me what computer operating system your Premiere Elements 12 is running on. At this time, please leave everything where it is if all is working.

We are very pleased that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

Best wishes

ATR

• 19. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                                              skybird70 Level 1

ATR,

I have changed the Compatibility Mode to be "Windows 7" and it seem to run okay. Without this having a compatibility setting Premiere will not run for some reason.

My computer is running on Intel i7 processor installed on an Intel motherboard. The OS is Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

Many thanks,

Jim Ross

• 20. Re: Error compiling MPG movie
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim Ross

Sounding good.

You should have smooth Premiere Elements performance moving forward.

ATR