12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2014 4:28 PM by Bill Gehrke

A quick question on laptop specs...

at0605

First of all, I've seen a lot of conflicting viewpoints in regards to laptop/desktop specifications, so I'd like to lay out some simple specs to see if they're acceptable.

As far as me - I'm a young, beginner editor/filmaker. I'm looking primarily for a system that won't be to slow to practice relatively simple video editing - a layer of video, audio, and some transitions. I know a lot of you guys are complete pros but I'm not ready for a lot of the systems you guys seem to recommend based on experience and price.

As far as the specs:

HP Envy 15t - j100 Quad - Customized

• Windows 8.1 64
    • 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® 840M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory
    • 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1920x1080) Touchscreen
    • 16GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • 1TB 5400 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive
    •  

Will this even allow me to open premiere? Will it be too slow for what I'm looking for (beginner, practice, few layers)?

• 1. Re: A quick question on laptop specs...
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Much BETTER would be a 128-or-256gig SSD for Windows and all software, and a 7200rpm drive for projects and video files

A single 5400rpm hard drive will work... S.L.O.W.L.Y

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: A quick question on laptop specs...
            at0605 Level 1

Okay, I suppose I should have mentioned I have an external drive that I could use for videos and projects.

I'm having trouble finding a laptop with all the specs at my price range which is around 800-1000. The 7200 rpm drive seems to be the issue. So would this be a decent option with a 7200 ext hd?

Any further recommendations for a beginner as far as laptops go?

• 3. Re: A quick question on laptop specs...
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If that external is USB3 or eSata your data files would at least have a "specification" drive

External eSata or USB3 are both fast enough for video editing... http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1117813 - http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page/84-disk-setup

ONE possibility is this $47 USB3 dock with fan http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SuperSpeed-Docking-Station-Cooling/dp/B0055PL2YI

• 4. Re: A quick question on laptop specs...
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want a basic building block laptop that has room for easy expansion as you improve your capabilities look at this Asus G750JW refurbished unit   It has a easy access second empty drive bay and two slots for memory upgrade.  I am writing this on one of these right now.  I have cloned the OS to a 128 GB SSD drive and remove the lousy 5400 rpm drive and installed a larger second SSD drive in its place.  I have upgraded the RAM memory to 24 GB.  Currently on our PPBM7 site it is the fastest laptop tested so far.  As received it would be usable with Premiere but slow, now it is great.  Remember video editing on a laptop has to be with the AC brick plugged in to an outlet all laptops slow down immensely to save battery power.

• 5. Re: A quick question on laptop specs...
                  at0605 Level 1

Thanks!

Any opinions on this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317011 plus a usb3 7200 RPM external drive?

• 6. Re: A quick question on laptop specs...
                    1. Lousy 1 TB 5400 rpm (almost useless) single disk drive.in Lenovo, not known if it readily accessible, where the ASUS has two easy access bays so cloning to an SSD is very easy.  With the suggested Samsung 840 Pro SSD's cloning software is included.
                    2. Lenovo less CUDA capability than the ASUS, probably Lenovo = 384 cores and ASUS = 768 cores, it might also have only DDR3 video RAM where the ASUS is the faster DDR5
                    3. CPU's essentially identical
                    4. Lenovo less expandability than ASUS (no option for second internal disk)
                    5. Lenovo less weight than ASUS
                    6. Lenovo has 16 GB RAM initially and most likely may not be expandable where ASUS has one screw trapdoor on back for very simple addition of 16 additional GB for a total of 24 GB
                    • 7. Re: A quick question on laptop specs...
                      at0605 Level 1

Cool.

So, would you rate a 128gb SSD over an external 7200 RPM HD? Beyond that could you explain what you mean by CUDA? I've heard the term and I've looked into it but I'm not entirely sure what it means.

Beyond that, how hard is it to install the internal SSD and how hard is it to install the additional RAM?

Sorry, I'm not the most technically profeccient person in the world.

Also, does it matter that the ASUS is 3rd gen i7, not 4th gen?

Oh, and the link you've provided states that the ASUS is a ddr3, not ddr5. Does that make that much difference?

What about this one (also ASUS) in terms of upgradeability? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231320

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to make the right purchase.

• 8. Re: A quick question on laptop specs...

at0605 wrote:

Cool.

1.So, would you rate a 128gb SSD over an external 7200 RPM HD?

2. Beyond that could you explain what you mean by CUDA? I've heard the term and I've looked into it but I'm not entirely sure what it means.

3. Beyond that, how hard is it to install the internal SSD and how hard is it to install the additional RAM?

Sorry, I'm not the most technically profeccient person in the world.

4. Also, does it matter that the ASUS is 3rd gen i7, not 4th gen?

5. Oh, and the link you've provided states that the ASUS is a ddr3, not ddr5. Does that make that much difference?

6. What about this one (also ASUS) in terms of upgradeability? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231320

1. For an external drive generally you want this for larger multiple files and here a 7200 rpm hard drive for a given price is preferred.  I have discovered a new way on my laptop to have another very effective storage device.  I have acquired a brand new very high speed USB3 Flash Drive which has a 190 MB/second read rate which I have verified and I am using on this laptop as the Media Drive in an edit I currently am doing
                        2. "CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture) is a parallel computing platform and programming model created by NVIDIA and implemented by the graphics engine that makes using a GPU (graphics card) for general purpose computing simple and elegant."  It is used by Adobe for hardware acceleration for their MPE (Mercury Playback Engine) effects and features.  In short if you have the proper graphics card it can make realtime playback better and also speed up the final output encoding (exporting)
                        3. it is one fairly simple task for both processes, it does require agility with a good quality very small Phillips screwdriver.  Disengaging one screw (it is a captive screw that does not get completely removed) and then popping the plastic cover loose is all that is required.   Look at this Youtube video.  After he gets it open I do not like his disk swap out procedure
                        4. The generation description is wrong, according to Intel an i7-4700HQ is 4th generation.
                        5. Yes that is correct the regular RAM in the laptop is DDR3 memory,  The only place that GDDR5 memory is used is in the GPU and it indeed has the faster video memory on that G750JW.
                        6. Do not know anything about that unit since it is only a 15.6-inch screen, my old eyes need a larger screen but I can tell from the picture and the physical size of the unit, that I doubt it would have space for a second disk drive.
                        • 9. Re: A quick question on laptop specs...

I forgot to add that my consultant rate of $100/hour applies.

Also I just found that the Sandisk Extreme was one of Tom's favorites in a test of 31 different USB3 Flash Drives.  I will be ordering one soon.

• 10. Re: A quick question on laptop specs...
                            at0605 Level 1

Thanks! I will get a check signed and delivered right away!

One final question, do you trust refurbished units? I was always told to question them.

• 11. Re: A quick question on laptop specs...
                              at0605 Level 1

Hey Bill, I've got another question, I was hoping you could answer it.

Is there much advantage to getting a SSD (like yours) rather than having a 7200 RPM drive?

I ask because I found this laptop:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1030984&gclid=CNfP1_qiz70CFe87Mgodx 0wAZQ&is=REG&Q=&A=details

It is the same you recommended earlier, but with 12gb ram (instead of 8gb) and a 7200 RPM (instead of a 5400).

Would this be a better deal? Would you recommend the SSD over the 7200 RPM?

Thanks.

• 12. Re: A quick question on laptop specs...

Well in my case with a SSD boot drive there is a great difference in boot up time, if that is not of interest that is fine.  It still leaves a slot open for a larger SSD for your project disk.  Not having an SSD OS/Applications drive will not affect Premiere performance, but adding a Samsung 840 Pro drive as the second drive is a high priority.

As far as for the memory goes I tried to find out the configuration supplied but no one seems to list how they got 12 GB but it problably is three 4 GB modules.  If they just added another 4 GB module that means either you have to throw away the 4 GB  module to upgrade to 24 GB  or add a single 4 GB module and live with 16 GB  or take a gamble the adding an 8 GB module will work with the existing 12 GB installed.  I installed two 8 GB modules and it worked fine with the installed 2 each 4 GB modules.  For general purpose video editing with Premiere 16 GB should work well.