15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2014 1:11 PM by A.T. Romano

PC locking up during data capture.

cwoody

Been using PE on different PCs for years and just started having this issue,  I have a win7 pc just upgraded to pe12 (was having the same issue with pe9) and every time I try and add media doing a capture from a Canon DV tape my entire system locks/freezes up.  I can get about 10 seconds into the video before this happens.  Have to hold in the power button just to get things moving.

I recently changed my video card to a Geforce GT 620.  I have updated several current device drivers but no help.

Just looking for my possible next steps?

Thanks CW

• 1. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

cwoody

There is a Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce driver issue. Please refer to Announcement at the top of this forum. That issue has affected

many Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA users, but, in all this time, has not involved others with versions other than 10. In the case of the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce users, the only answer was the roll back of the driver versions, in many cases, going back to around May 2013.

In spite of the fact that your program is Premiere Elements 12, you might want to check the video card driver aspects of what is happening.

If you say that you have been doing Premiere Elements DV Data Capture firewire for years successfully, then I will not post any link to how tos. However, if you have had issues with Premiere Elements 9 and 12, what versions of Premiere Elements did work for you?

Please review, consider, and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is more aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/cant-capture-dv-hdv-video.html

-and Windows http://forums.adobe.com/message/4708997

Also, some other programs to try

I have NOT used either, but many say to try these for SD capture http://windv.mourek.cz/ or http://www.exsate.com/products/dvcapture/

I have NOT used it, but many say to try this for HDV capture -archived at http://www.videohelp.com/tools/HDVSplit

• 3. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
              cwoody Level 1

Thanks  ATR

Announcement at top.....if it had been a snake......!

I just installed the NVIDIA so this must be the issue.  I went from PE9 to PE12 thinking it would resolve..did not.

I will try rolling back the NVIDIA driver and see if this resolves.

CW

• 4. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

CW

Your results should be very interesting if this NVIDIA GeForce driver roll back works for you,

If a driver roll back works to resolve your Premiere Elements 12 issue, please include in your response

driver version and date going from and to.

Looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
                  cwoody Level 1

I Rolled back from 335.23 to 327.23 then to 314.22  without success.  Will continue looking into some of the other reported NVDIA/ADOBE issues on the forum.

Looks like the folks w APE10 had success with this process with 320.  I thing I will roll back to my APE09 version and try again.

Getting ready to build a new video editing machine.  Any graphics cards have a better working record with ABOBE. 

CW

• 6. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since Premiere Elements does not use the CUDA functions in nVidia, many people use AMD cards

Of course, ALL vendors sometimes have driver problems, so saying "buy this" may work for one person, with his/her exact hardware, but not so much for another person with a different mix

• 7. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
                      nealeh Level 5

I've run PRE 7,9,10,11 & 12 on nvidia 8800GT successfully. The only driver issue I ever encountered was one that first brought me to this forum in 2009 and nvidia fixed that quite quickly. The 8800GT did fail earlier this year and I've since been running PRE 11 & 12 with the newer, but less powerful, GT630 without issue.

The only realistic alternative are the AMD cards.

However, as you are building a new machine specifically for video editing, in its current state PRE makes no advanced use of graphics card capabilities so Intel OnBoard HD graphics probably do the job just as well.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 8. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

CW

Thanks for giving the NVIDIA aspect of your issue a look even though you have Premiere Elements 12 instead of 10 (in which the known specific Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA exists). Way out possibility, but in view of your mention of Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1....have you tried to delete the BadDrivers.txt file...

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. Once you open a Premiere Elements project, a new BadDrivers.txt file should be generated, but hopefully now the problem will be gone. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden, Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path. Remember you want the BadDrivers.txt  file in the Premiere Elements Folder and not in one of the folders in the Premiere Elements Folder. In the screenshot below, you can see the BadDrivers.txt file for 12 standing out among all those folders in the Premiere Elements Folder.

BadDrivers.JPG

If none of the above impacts the issue, we might consider the following exploratory approach

a. make a copy of the problematic project

b. using the copy as the working project, delete all the media from the project, do not close the project, instead

c. import new media (preferably same files as before)

d. does the problem of black monitor exist?

For comparison, try that with a completely new project.

We will be watching for further developments. It still continues to bother me that the problem targets this

one project.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
                          VDOSurfer Level 3

If you can capture the videos to your Hard drive outside of PrE, I do not think you will have issues editing the resulting footages. it seems to be the capture process that had caused the problem earlier as well and not the files in the camera. So I guess the solution would be to use an external (Movie Maker - free) software, get themfiles and then continue editing with PrE. This will break your workflow, but at least the issues localized to the software can be bypassed.

• 10. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
                            cwoody Level 1

Hey ATR,

Thanks for all the recomendations.

I saw the BadDriver sugestion and tried it...no luck.

I am trying to capture data when creating a new project when this happens.  The system seems to  lockup once I bring up the add media screen, choose the DV tape option and Adobe recognizes my camera. Sometimes I can use adobe to play for about 10 sec befor locking up.

I do get a waning message: "Your current camera setting is different than you project".   I have ignored this in the past and did not have this issue.

Next step is to try another capture software as VDO sugessted or install another AMD type PCI graphics card.

I am also going to visit a friend who built  a system like mine an load Adobe on it and see wht happens.

cw

• 11. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

CW

This may avoid you have to detour into another software.

I do not know if we have been down this road before, but, just in case, I will mention this since you wrote

I do get a waning message: "Your current camera setting is different than you project".   I have ignored this in the past and did not have this issue.

You say that you are doing DV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements 12.

But, are you doing DV data 4:3 or DV data 16:9?

If you are doing DV data 4:3, then....

a. Open a new Premiere Elements 12 project to its Expert workspace

b. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

c. In the Change Settings dialog, set for NTSC DV Standard

d. Before closing out of that area, in the last dialog (new project dialog), make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

e. Back in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert Workspace, go to Add Media/DV Camcorder.

Does the warning message appear and is the capture now successfully.

If the above is not successful, then I will assume that your DV data capture firewire is 16:9, not 4:3.

Then, same as above but select the project preset = NTSC DV Widescreen.

We will be looking forward to the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
                                cwoody Level 1

ATR

Got rid of the setting message ....but did not correct the lock up issue 

cw

• 13. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

CW

Glad for the good news, not so glad for the not so good news.

But, let us see what we can do with that capture lock ups.

Recap

a. Have all these lock ups been with the same camera tape?

b. Did we determine that you can or cannot get the capture firewire done successfully with a program such as

Windows Live Media Player?

c. If you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, where do you have Captured Video and Captured Audio pointed to and how much free hard drive space is at that location? In contrast, what is the Save In: for the Premiere Elements Capture Window? Can I assume that your computer has been defragmented lately?

More later.

Thanks again for the follow ups and checking out the suggestions.

ATR

• 14. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
                                    cwoody Level 1

ATR

Camera is a Cannon GL2, I have 2 of them and I have tried capture on both with Adobe

I downloaded and I am at this moment capturing the video from the GL2 using Movie Maker...no issues so far.

I have a designated 1.5TB hard drive I use to store  all my captures...lots of space available.

I just need to get this editing project going.

I will import the Moviemaker file into Adobe and go from there.

Wont be able to get by my local computer store (MicroCenter) til tomorrow, but I plan to pick up a different graphics card.

Will let you know how thing work out

• 15. Re: PC locking up during data capture.
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

CW

Thanks for the update.

Looking forward to your results. In the meanwhile I will think about this some more.

ATR