11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2014 8:36 PM by csuebele RSS

How do you update the location of linked smart objects?

macopp Community Member

The new linked smart object feature was a low-key feature but it's fundamentally changing our workflow for the better!

Quick question, is there a way to update the paths to linked smart objects or will Photoshop work it out? I can't see a links panel under WIndow or file so am not sure how you do it sorry.

I'm about to edit these files at home and want to make sure Photoshop can find the links - as well as find everything when I copy it all back to the server and work.

Cheers

ben

• 1. Re: How do you update the location of linked smart objects?
          csuebele ACP/MVPs

If a linked SO is moved from its location, when you open the file that contains the linked SO, you will get a dialog box asking to located the missing file.

• 2. Re: How do you update the location of linked smart objects?
            macopp Community Member

This all worked well when at home (Photoshop just seem to find the linked file using relative paths) but now that I'm back at work, Photoshop keeps asking me to re-link the same file over and over again?

After selecting the correct file, Photoshop asks me to find it again - I'm assuming this is a bug?

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Cheers

Ben

• 3. Re: How do you update the location of linked smart objects?
              macopp Community Member

Hmmm, I trashed my servers and now none of the linked SO have red question marks.

I'll work locally then copy everything back to the server and see what happens.

• 4. Re: How do you update the location of linked smart objects?
                csuebele ACP/MVPs

I only have CC on my home computer, as where I work is very slow about upgrading.  So I don't know about a bug with the server.

• 5. Re: How do you update the location of linked smart objects?
                  macopp Community Member

Yes, I think there's something wrong - even files created at home where all the links have been imported from the drive, ask me to relink (and show a path to the server) when back at work.

Maybe there's a base file location set somewhere in the file and if Photohop sees that the server is mounted tries to link to the server.

It just seems weird becase all the files were placed into the PSD from home - so Photoshop shouldn't be asking for files linked to the server at all.

As soon as I trash the server the link window goes away and Photoshop sees all the files on the external drive - weird.

• 6. Re: How do you update the location of linked smart objects?
                    Doug Katz Community Member

Forgive me, I'm still using CS5. But I certainly recall the introduction of smart objects, then smart filters, and so on.

In those earlier days, a smart object wasn't "linked" the way an image or graphic is linked in Illustrator or Indesign. Smart objects weren't in-file representations of external files. They were housed within the Photoshop file in which they appeared.

Has something changed since CS5? Thanks.

• 7. Re: How do you update the location of linked smart objects?
                      macopp Community Member

There's a new feature under the file menu called "Place linked..." which creates a linked smart object - it's kind of like nested compositions in After Effects.

We're finding it very useful.

• 8. Re: How do you update the location of linked smart objects?

Ah, thanks. But does this mean that raster and vector smart objects can EITHER be located within the Photoshop file (as they have been since their advent) OR linked to an external file?

And if so,

1. Can this linked file be either raster or vector?

2. Do edits to it automatically update the Photoshop file?

3. Is ther any longer any advantage to having the smart object data stored within the Photoshop file when it can be linked?

Thanks again.

• 9. Re: How do you update the location of linked smart objects?
                          csuebele ACP/MVPs

Yes, the linked smart object can be either raster or vector, but they will be placed as raster images, just as the embedded SO are.  SO can be embedded or linked to an outside file.  Edits to the original will not update in the original until you select "Update modified content from the menu" when you reopen the file that has the place SO in it.  otherwise it will update when you save the linked file.  Yes, there still is an advantage to having an embedded SO.  You may not want to maintain the links - send a file off and forget to include the linked files.  You may want to alter the SO, but not the original file.

Ah, thanks. But does this mean that raster and vector smart objects can EITHER be located within the Photoshop file (as they have been since their advent) OR linked to an external file?

And if so,

1. Can this linked file be either raster or vector?

2. Do edits to it automatically update the Photoshop file?

3. Is ther any longer any advantage to having the smart object data stored within the Photoshop file when it can be linked?

• 10. Re: How do you update the location of linked smart objects?

Kind of you to answer. I remember when smart objects first appeared the confusion over where the "sourc file" resided. You could double click the smart object layer to open a "temporary file" for editing. Once saved, the edited file vanished, leading many on this forum to wonder about its (external) whereabouts.

Now there really CAN be an external, linked file as in most illustration and page layout programs. Progress. Maybe time to upgrade.

• 11. Re: How do you update the location of linked smart objects?
                              csuebele ACP/MVPs

Yes, it's just like IA has been able to do for years; however, I've had my issues with that, as folks would send me the IA files, but not the linked ones.  I foresee the same issues here.  It is a cool feature though.  Using the linked SO really cuts down on file size!!!