20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2006 9:06 AM by Newsgroup_User

how to fill selection

Level 7
      I want to make a figure like the bottom half of a capital H with the left 'leg'
      a bit askew. To achieve this I used the L-shape auto shape in FW 8, and drew
      the third leg using the line tool.

The auto-shape nicely filled with the red I want, but how do I fill the third
      leg? I tried selecting the form, but it won't fill.

I am sure there is a much easier way of making this form, but if someone could
      just tell me how to fill the selection, I would be very grateful.

I've put a shot of my canvas online, in case my story about legs is not clear
      enough: http://www.xs4all.nl/~hogen/voorbeeld/

--
      Regards,
      Adriana.
      [ put out the rubbish if you need to reach me by e-mail ]
      www.spinsister.nl

• 1. Re: how to fill selection
          Level 7
          > To achieve this I used the L-shape auto shape in FW 8, and drew the third leg
          > using the line tool.

Solved by using two L-shapes, pulling one askew.

I would still like to know how to fill a selection like in my original
          question, though. Thanks.

--
          Regards,
          Adriana.
          www.spinsister.nl

• 2. Re: how to fill selection
            Level 7
            I would use the pen tool fotr the whole thing.

Peter
            leg
            | > using the line tool.
            |
            | Solved by using two L-shapes, pulling one askew.
            |
            | I would still like to know how to fill a selection like in my original
            | question, though. Thanks.
            |
            | --
            | Regards,
            | Adriana.
            | [ put out the rubbish if you need to reach me by e-mail ]
            | www.spinsister.nl
            |
            |

• 3. Re: how to fill selection
              Level 7
              http://www.fasterthanu.com/Adriana.html

"A.Translator" <transRUBlatoria@yaBISHhoo.com> wrote in message
              news:mn.1b777d67dcd0c89f.33167@yaBISHhoo.com...
              |> To achieve this I used the L-shape auto shape in FW 8, and drew the third
              leg
              | > using the line tool.
              |
              | Solved by using two L-shapes, pulling one askew.
              |
              | I would still like to know how to fill a selection like in my original
              | question, though. Thanks.
              |
              | --
              | Regards,
              | Adriana.
              | www.spinsister.nl
              |
              |

• 4. Re: how to fill selection
                Level 7
                > http://www.fasterthanu.com/Adriana.html

Well, thank you! All with the pen tool? I'll have to practice more...

--
                Regards,
                Adriana.
                www.spinsister.nl

• 5. Re: how to fill selection
                  Level 7
                  You're welcome :-) This kind of shape (all straight lines) is very easy with
                  the pen tool. Just use the shift key to keep the lines straight. You can
                  adjust the points afterwards with the arrow keys if you need to.

Peter

news:mn.1bc17d67b7873c5d.33167@yaBISHhoo.com...
                  |> http://www.fasterthanu.com/Adriana.html
                  |
                  | Well, thank you! All with the pen tool? I'll have to practice more...
                  |
                  | --
                  | Regards,
                  | Adriana.
                  | www.spinsister.nl
                  |
                  |

• 6. Re: how to fill selection
                    Level 7
                    > Just use the shift key to keep the lines straight. You can
                    > adjust the points afterwards with the arrow keys if you need to.

Thanks, I knew about the shift key for straight lines but couldn't get the
                    shape filled (sorry for using the wrong word, before - when I said 'form' I
                    meant shape.)

--
                    Regards,
                    Adriana.
                    www.spinsister.nl

• 7. Re: how to fill selection
                      Level 7

news:mn.1bcc7d678a3920c6.33167@yaBISHhoo.com...
                      |> Just use the shift key to keep the lines straight. You can
                      | > adjust the points afterwards with the arrow keys if you need to.
                      |
                      | Thanks, I knew about the shift key for straight lines but couldn't get the
                      | shape filled (sorry for using the wrong word, before - when I said 'form'
                      I
                      | meant shape.)

I don't understand why you couldn't fill your shape/ form. Can you fill the
                      one I made ok?

• 8. Re: how to fill selection
                        Level 7
                        > I don't understand why you couldn't fill your shape/ form. Can you fill the
                        > one I made ok?

Yours came already filled! I guess I have to hook up beginning point and end
                        point?

--
                        Regards,
                        Adriana.
                        www.spinsister.nl

• 9. Re: how to fill selection
                          Level 7
                          Yes you have to complete the shape/form.

news:mn.1bd67d670af94de1.33167@yaBISHhoo.com...
                          |> I don't understand why you couldn't fill your shape/ form. Can you fill
                          the
                          | > one I made ok?
                          |
                          | Yours came already filled! I guess I have to hook up beginning point and
                          end
                          | point?
                          |
                          | --
                          | Regards,
                          | Adriana.
                          | www.spinsister.nl
                          |
                          |

• 10. Re: how to fill selection
                            Level 7
                            > Yes you have to complete the shape/form.

Thanks, tried again and presto! Thanks for your patience.

--
                            Regards,
                            Adriana.
                            www.spinsister.nl

• 11. Re: how to fill selection
                              Level 7
                              A.Translator wrote:
                              >> To achieve this I used the L-shape auto shape in FW 8, and drew the
                              >> third leg using the line tool.
                              >
                              > Solved by using two L-shapes, pulling one askew.
                              >
                              > I would still like to know how to fill a selection like in my original
                              > question, though. Thanks.

Don't use the Paint bucket tool. Just click in the fill color box to
                              open a swatches pop up and select the color you want. As long as your
                              object is a closed path, it will fill automatically.

--
                              Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
                              --------------------------------------------------------------
                              http://www.projectseven.com
                              Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                              CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                              Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
                              • 12. Re: how to fill selection
                                Level 7
                                > Don't use the Paint bucket tool. Just click in the fill color box to open a
                                > swatches pop up and select the color you want. As long as your object is a
                                > closed path, it will fill automatically.

Thank you, Linda. I had been using all the wrong tools: the line tool in stead
                                of the pen tool and the paint bucket in stead of just using the fill color.

Can one make a closed path with the line tool or only with the pen tool?

--
                                Regards,
                                Adriana.
                                www.spinsister.nl

• 13. Re: how to fill selection
                                  Level 7
                                  A.Translator wrote:

> Thank you, Linda. I had been using all the wrong tools: the line tool in
                                  > stead of the pen tool and the paint bucket in stead of just using the
                                  > fill color.
                                  >
                                  > Can one make a closed path with the line tool or only with the pen tool?

Not with the Line tool. If you don't want to use the Pen tool, why not
                                  just draw a vector square and then reshape it with the Skew or Distort
                                  tool?

--
                                  Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
                                  http://www.projectseven.com
                                  Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                                  CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                                  Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
                                  • 14. Re: how to fill selection
                                    Level 7
                                    > Not with the Line tool.

That was where I went wrong, then.

> If you don't want to use the Pen tool, why not just
                                    > draw a vector square and then reshape it with the Skew or Distort tool?

I don't know what I hate most, the pen tool or the skew thingy ;-)
                                    Thanks, I know now where I went wrong.

--
                                    Regards,
                                    Adriana.
                                    www.spinsister.nl

• 15. Re: how to fill selection
                                      Level 7
                                      A.Translator wrote:
                                      >> If you don't want to use the Pen tool, why not just draw a vector
                                      >> square and then reshape it with the Skew or Distort tool?
                                      >
                                      > I don't know what I hate most, the pen tool or the skew thingy ;-)
                                      > Thanks, I know now where I went wrong.

For what you want to accomplish you don't have to use either as there is
                                      an easier and better way. You just need to stop thinking in Photoshop
                                      terms and embrace Fireworks' vector mindset :-)

You had the right idea with the L-Shape AutoShape. The explanations
                                      below may seem long but the process is really simple.

If you have Fireworks 8, go to the Windows menu and click "AutoShape
                                      Properties" to bring up that panel. It will help you size your L-Shape
                                      precisely. In the bottom of that panel go to the Insert New AutoShape
                                      drop down and select L-Shape. An L-Shape AutoShape will be inserted on
                                      your canvas with default dimensions and will remain selected. The
                                      settings in the panel should be pretty self explanatory so set your
                                      basic shape settings as you like. You can also change its color as Linda
                                      explained. Make sure Roundness remains at 0.

Once your basic L is as you want it then go to Modify>Ungroup (bottom
                                      menu item). You'll notice that your shape appearance changed and is now
                                      outlined in blue with blue squares at every corner (these are vector
                                      points (or anchors or nodes). Click on the canvas outside any object to
                                      deselect everything then switch to the white arrow tool. Click and drag
                                      on the canvas to select only the bottom two "points" of your shape. They
                                      should be filled with blue while all others should be hollow. Then,
                                      using your left arrow key, press a number of times to move only those
                                      two "points" to the left. Press and hold the Shift key at the same time
                                      to move them 10 pixels at a time (instead of 1).

Next, select the point at the inside corner where your L shape "segment
                                      is now probably too thick by click-dragging around it as well and moving
                                      it left the same way you did the two others. Move it about a third of
                                      the distance you moved the two others and it should look right.

That's it!

HTH!

--
                                      St�phane Bergeron
                                      reach : connect : communicate
                                      http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                                      blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                                      http://www.pixelyzed.com
                                      • 16. Re: how to fill selection
                                        Level 7
                                        Personally, I actually find it quicker just to use the pen for simple shapes
                                        like this, don't you?

Peter
                                        | >> If you don't want to use the Pen tool, why not just draw a vector
                                        | >> square and then reshape it with the Skew or Distort tool?
                                        | >
                                        | > I don't know what I hate most, the pen tool or the skew thingy ;-)
                                        | > Thanks, I know now where I went wrong.
                                        |
                                        | For what you want to accomplish you don't have to use either as there is
                                        | an easier and better way. You just need to stop thinking in Photoshop
                                        | terms and embrace Fireworks' vector mindset :-)
                                        |
                                        | You had the right idea with the L-Shape AutoShape. The explanations
                                        | below may seem long but the process is really simple.
                                        |
                                        | If you have Fireworks 8, go to the Windows menu and click "AutoShape
                                        | Properties" to bring up that panel. It will help you size your L-Shape
                                        | precisely. In the bottom of that panel go to the Insert New AutoShape
                                        | drop down and select L-Shape. An L-Shape AutoShape will be inserted on
                                        | your canvas with default dimensions and will remain selected. The
                                        | settings in the panel should be pretty self explanatory so set your
                                        | basic shape settings as you like. You can also change its color as Linda
                                        | explained. Make sure Roundness remains at 0.
                                        |
                                        | Once your basic L is as you want it then go to Modify>Ungroup (bottom
                                        | menu item). You'll notice that your shape appearance changed and is now
                                        | outlined in blue with blue squares at every corner (these are vector
                                        | points (or anchors or nodes). Click on the canvas outside any object to
                                        | deselect everything then switch to the white arrow tool. Click and drag
                                        | on the canvas to select only the bottom two "points" of your shape. They
                                        | should be filled with blue while all others should be hollow. Then,
                                        | using your left arrow key, press a number of times to move only those
                                        | two "points" to the left. Press and hold the Shift key at the same time
                                        | to move them 10 pixels at a time (instead of 1).
                                        |
                                        | Next, select the point at the inside corner where your L shape "segment
                                        | is now probably too thick by click-dragging around it as well and moving
                                        | it left the same way you did the two others. Move it about a third of
                                        | the distance you moved the two others and it should look right.
                                        |
                                        | That's it!
                                        |
                                        | HTH!
                                        |
                                        | --
                                        | St�phane Bergeron
                                        | reach : connect : communicate
                                        | http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                                        | blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                                        | http://www.pixelyzed.com

• 17. Re: how to fill selection
                                          Level 7
                                          I encourage you to get to know your Pen Tool. It will soon become your
                                          best friend. :)

A.Translator wrote:

>
                                          > I don't know what I hate most, the pen tool or the skew thingy ;-)
                                          > Thanks, I know now where I went wrong.
                                          >
                                          • 18. Re: how to fill selection
                                            Level 7
                                            > I encourage you to get to know your Pen Tool. It will soon become your best
                                            > friend.

Thanks for that, I needed a bit of a push as I tend to shy away from anything
                                            vectorlike.

--
                                            Regards,
                                            Adriana.
                                            www.spinsister.nl

• 19. Re: how to fill selection
                                              Level 7
                                              > For what you want to accomplish you don't have to use either as there is an
                                              > easier and better way. You just need to stop thinking in Photoshop terms and
                                              > embrace Fireworks' vector mindset

Thanks for taking the time to explain at such length. I will do as you suggest,
                                              if only to force myself to train with the right tools.

--
                                              Regards,
                                              Adriana.
                                              www.spinsister.nl

• 20. Re: how to fill selection
                                                Level 7
                                                PJR wrote:
                                                > Personally, I actually find it quicker just to use the pen for simple shapes
                                                > like this, don't you?

It depends for what, but not for this particular case because it would
                                                be much harder to give the shape "segments" the same thickness with the
                                                Pen tool. The AutoShape takes care of that automatically without any
                                                guesswork. What took two paragraphs to describe takes me less than 15
                                                seconds to perform within Fireworks itself (for real). I use
                                                Ctrl-Shift-G to ungroup instead of going to the menu and Shift-Arrow to
                                                move the anchors.

Building complex shapes if often much quicker and more precise for me by
                                                combining simpler easily drawn shapes than by using the Pen tool but the
                                                Pen is also often the only way to achieve certain results. It really
                                                depends on the end result. In this case I really thing that using an
                                                existing shape and modifying it is quicker and yields more precise and
                                                repeatable results.

--
                                                St�phane Bergeron
                                                reach : connect : communicate
                                                http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                                                blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                                                http://www.pixelyzed.com