4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2014 7:08 AM by egearbox

Multi pass composition tutorial for AE?

egearbox Level 1

Is there a tutorial addressing compositing multi-pass rendering in AE?   I'm coming from a Lightwave 3D background so I know what multi pass rendering is, and I know how to use AE (more or less), so I'm looking for some very specific information.   Looking for things like layer order, blend settings, things like that.  

Anyone know of something like that for AE?   I checked the docs but didn't find much. 

• 1. Re: Multi pass composition tutorial for AE?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm suree you can find some out there, but frankly you should not get tied up on the specifics. Layer order and blending modes are not a fixed thing since different renderers use different operations to blend their shading components together as well. Beyond that it's also a matter of artistic expression - on bright scenes using Overlay or Multiply for a reflection pass may look better whereas on dark scenes naturalyl one may want to use Linear Light, addd or similar. There is no academically "correct" way to do this if that's what you are looking for....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Multi pass composition tutorial for AE?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you bring a .c4d file into After Effects and use the command in the Cineware effect to create a set of multipass layers, you can see what all of the blending modes are automatically set to. That's probably the most direct and instructive way to learn this.

• 3. Re: Multi pass composition tutorial for AE?
              egearbox Level 1

>>>  There is no academically "correct" way to do this if that's what you are looking for....

Ugh, unfortunately that's kind of exactly what I was looking for.   I know that in terms of art there's no "right answer" a lot of times, but there are certainly plenty of "wrong answers" (and I've found many of them the hard way.)  

I found an excellent tutorial for Maya on line:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy4XG0yJ7Xc

That's as close as I've been able to come so far.   Unfortunately the layer rendering in Lightwave is completely different, but many of the "rules of thumb" seem the same.  

Thanks for your response!   Hope we can chat again.

• 4. Re: Multi pass composition tutorial for AE?
                egearbox Level 1

Thanks, Todd, that's an excellent suggestion.   I'm working my way through that process now!