7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2014 12:38 PM by Ken Nielsen

Need Key command to zoom in while using type tool

Ken Nielsen Level 1

I'm trying every key combination on earth, but there must be one I'm missing. I know that the option key is the entrance to certain other commands that would be available while the cursor is the selection arrow: Space gives the hand and space + command brings up the zoom in cursor. I need to be enlightened as to what is available when using the type cursor, in the middle of editing it would be so nice to be able to zoom in or out without having to go out and select the arrow cursor.

Can someone help guide me to how to get the zoom in and out while using the type tool?

TIA,

Ken

• 1. Re: Need Key command to zoom in while using type tool
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's a little tricky but you can do it:

When you have text selected, you can't use the Space Bar to get the hand tool or you'll insert a space. So instead, press Option then add the Space Bar and you can scroll around with the Hand tool.

Once you have the Hand tool, with those two modifiers still selected, also hold down the Cmd key and you can zoom in with the Zoom In cursor. At this point you can let go of the Option key. If you want to zoom out, press the Option key again and you'll get the Zoom Out cursor.

• 2. Re: Need Key command to zoom in while using type tool
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Zoom in = Cmd +

Zoom out = Cmd -

• 3. Re: Need Key command to zoom in while using type tool
              Ken Nielsen Level 1

Interesting that both the option and command with space bar and the + and - used with command will allow zoom.

The drawbacks to each method:

(1.) option and command with space bar:

While you are working, there is one combination while you are fiddling to get in and out zoom (option - command - spacebar) that throws you completely out of InDesign and into a search function at the desktop level. very bad, very annoying and interruptive to the work being done in InDesign. Otherwise, maybe there is a way to disable that function while within InDesign, I have not checked into that but for sure this is one that I would want to disable.

(2.) command + or -:

While this works dependably it is pretty much like zoom in and zoom out in Photoshop and just goes in and out without regard to what area of the work space you really want to zoom in on. Great for just goin in or out, but I would prefer using a more precise way of zooming in on just what area I am working on.

Great answers guys and I appreciate that now I am knowing more about zooming in and out while working on text.

Thank You Both,

Ken

• 4. Re: Need Key command to zoom in while using type tool

Hmmm...on my system, (ID CS6, Windows 7), Ctrl+ centers on an active insertion point or selection. I just tested it by putting a text frame at each end of a spread. Whichever one has an active cursor or selection gets centered in the viewport as the zoom increases with Ctrl+++.

• 5. Re: Need Key command to zoom in while using type tool
                  Mary Posner Level 3

I'm on CS5.5, Mac OS 10.6.8. Even if I scroll the page so the selection isn't currently visible, when I hit Command-plus, the view immediately jumps to showing the selection centered in the window.

• 6. Re: Need Key command to zoom in while using type tool

Right...thanks for confirming, Mary.

• 7. Re: Need Key command to zoom in while using type tool
                      Ken Nielsen Level 1

Yes, if the cursor is active, then + and - zoom in on the cursor. Thanks for that information. It's the times that working with the cursor tool, and maybe not in the area I want to be in yet and want to get closer before a place the type tool down in place to make the cursor active. Zooming in first and then placing the type tool is the one that needs the (in this order) option then add space bar then add command in order to get the zoom out tool then lift up only the option key to get the zoom in tool. The zoom in tool is the one I really was after when I first posed this question, so I am going back to that and now considering if there is some unused key combination that can be assigned to the zoom in tool. Zoom out - I usually just do command zero.

Also, while on the subject, it might be quicker, I'm not sure yet but now have the better understanding that might make use of this: If the cursor is placed in text and active then the escape key will get you back to the arrow key which makes it easy to manipulate zoom if you want to navigate other than where the text cursor was blinking. If you have the text tool selected but have not yet placed the cursor in text then the 'V' key gets you back to the arrow cursor which again is easiest to use for specific zooming. Having a ready command of all of these avenues is crucial to navigating InDesign on the fly. Exactly what I want to have available in my own InDesign work.

I am looking at altering keyboard shortcuts and see that for zoom there is assigned command + and -, which is fine as is, there is no alteration of the careful fingerdance needed to apply the zoom tool while the type cursor is active, so that is also in place and I think would only be alterable thrugh the use of a keyboard macro generator program that allows the finger motions necessary to be applied and in the proper order over time as needed.

I think we've got the keyboard zoom tool subject corralled here and nothing else needs to be covered unless someone has an idea that has not been brought up yet. I do thank everyone for the input that has answered my question.

Ken