25 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2014 9:20 PM by A.T. Romano

Narration in Premiere Elements 12

DonatHome Level 1

Hi, I am Don and new to Premiere Elements 12, and new to forum.

I imported fifteen Powerpoint slides into my timeline, and added some music for the background. Then I added some narration to my first 4 slides and everything was fine. Got tired, saved project. When I came back I tried to narrate my other slides but the sound of my narration was not the same volume or clarity. The more I tried to fix this the worse things got.

How can I get all 15 narrations to have same volume and clarity?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Domn

• 1. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Wrong forum, you need http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements?view=discussions not Premiere PRO

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

-has links to the FAQ/TIPS pages

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
            Jim_Simon Level 8

[Moved to Premiere Elements forum.]

• 3. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

DonatHome

As a first pass at correcting what you have, let us try the following

1. Open the Audio Mixer (Tools Menu/Audio Mixer).

2. As you play back the Timeline content, adjust the narration volume with the slider for the Audio Mixer Narration Track.

Have you tried that out?

Are you changing the Microphone Sensitivity in the Narration Dialog?

You could look at right clicking the narration file, selecting Audio Gain, and hit Normalize.

But, I think Audio Mixer is the likely candidate for the adjustments that you seek.

Moving forward, please review for techniques for recording the narration, distance from the microphone, et al. You could try recording the narration in the free audio editor named Audacity.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

But I do not feel that you need it. Premiere Elements narration should work fine. But , we can go into details on that later.

We will be looking forward to your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                nealeh Level 5

Although rare, for many versions of PRE use of the narration and soundtrack audio tracks can occasionally trigger a variety of problems in a PRE project.

That may have nothing to do with your current problem but, as general advice, I recommend the use of regular audio tracks. There's no benefit to using the 'dedicated' audio tracks, but a definite risk.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

DonatlHome

I could go into the problem history of narration and Premiere Elements, but right now I do not feel that such is relevant to the issue that you present.

Example, for Premiere Elements 12, there are more and more scattered reports of addition of narration killing other audio in the project. I cannot reproduce the problem. One user who reported the problem thinks that she found her answer, but it goes unconfirmed to date. But, that is not what you are reporting/asking at this time.

I have worked with many versions of Premiere Elements and have found that, if I create narration with the program's Narration Tool, the narration is placed on the Narration Track automatically by the program. No way to change that. So, when it is suggested to you "use of regular audio tracks" that means, with Premiere Elements Narration Tool, create the narration which goes to the Narration track automatically and then, with the mouse cursor, move that narration to Audio 1, Audio 2, etc.

As general advice and based on some unexplained current known narration issues, I would focus on your present issue of narrations with comparable volume and clarity and reserve such preemptive measure for another time another troubleshooting situation.

You could always create your narration in Audacity and then import that into the Premiere Elements project, placing it on whatever audio track you want. But, why go to 3rd party involvement prematurely, except as a troubleshooting tool for volume and clarity consistency?

ATR

• 6. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

DonatHome

I just noticed that you appear to have a duplicate thread on this same subject

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1438153?tstart=0

Steve Grisetti seems to have posted a reply in that other thread. Have you seen it?

I suspect that your thread got duplicated with the going between forums movements.

But, best to avoid duplicate threads if possible since they cause confusion for the person asking the question(s) as well as those trying to reply to the question(s).

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                      DonatHome Level 1

Thanks John, I have gone to the link you gave and hope when I sign in again I get in the right forum.

• 8. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                        DonatHome Level 1

Thanks Jim. As per my note to John, I hope I get to the right forum when I return.

• 9. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                          DonatHome Level 1

Hi A.T.

#1 Done

#2 I did that with the slider and I think that is whwere I ran into trouble. I am not good at remembering all the things I did, but I think Imoved the slider but when I tried to narrate, the slider moved back by itself.      

I don't believe I messed with the senitivity of the microphone as the first 4 slides narration came out great.             

I did try the audio gain, and that seemed to help a little, I am not sure I clicked on normalize every slide, but didn't seem to matter when I did click on it.

I have thought about audacity, and might give that a try, if i cannot correct it with the help of the forum.  Very new to all this (Computers, Internet, Adobe, etc.)  If I try Audacity  will Pre 12 accept it in the add media section, and would I add it to the Narration Track as one whole audio clip or must I do a separate Audacity clip for each slide?Thanks for your help.

• 10. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                            DonatHome Level 1

Hi nealeh,

I may try Audacity if all else fails, and that I will add to a separate track. Thanks.

• 11. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

DonatHome

If you create the Narration with Audacity, you can export your narration as .mp3 or .wav. For starters, I would suggest .wav.

Then it is just Premiere Elements Add Media Files and Folders Project Assets from where you can drag the .wav to the Timeline

(Audio track, narration track, even soundtrack).

Whenever you are adding files to an existing Timeline, there is an opportunity for the addition to disturb the existing Timeline (even breaking audio in the Timeline), To avoid that, as you hold down the Alt of the computer main keyboard, add you file to the existing Timeline.

Some prefer to use the Ctrl key for this purpose. I prefer the Alt key. See what works for you.

We look forward to your results.

But, I think that with a little practice, you should be able to get narration with a reproducably acceptable volume with Premiere Elements without Audacity.

But let us see what works for you.

Thanks for the follow ups.

More later.

ATR

• 12. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

DonatHome

Just asking how you are progressing?

I found some just in case documents,

On Premiere Elements Narration

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSED45334D-D309-445e-AF34-2AB3E3CCAA8D. html

If you find it easier to adjust the volume for each narration, then you might consider selecting/highlighting a particular narration and then going to Adjust Tab (right top of Expert workspace)/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded and lower or increase the volume so that each of the narrations appears around the same level.

We are eager for you to succeed so please let us know if you need supplemental information to accomplish your task.

We are looking forward to learning of your progress when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                                  DonatHome Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks so much to everyone for all the help. Everyone got me a little closer to getting a victory over this. I don't know how I missed "Adjust" in all my tutorials. That did what I was trying to do all along someplace, but as soon as I tried to narrate, the slider would go down.

I don't know if I need to start another post, but somehow in these last slides the volume and my voicder sounds like it should, i am getting a little cracking and a sound like a im spitting into the mike. Sorry for the volgarity.  I do have a sock shiels over the microphone as I did in the earlier slides that were great. Could i have by accident moved the microphone closer to my mouth?

I have copied this post, so if i need to go and do a new thred  or look in FAQ, please let me know..

Also, I am still not sure which forum I should be in, Both forums seem to be great with plenty of knowledgble members ready to help.

Pease advise, and thank you all so mucvh.

Don

• 14. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

DonatHome

You are doing just fine where you are in this thread. So, let us continue here for now.

This is my current impression of the situation....

You are holding the microphone too close to your mouth. And, check the Mic Sensitivity in the Narration dialog, and lower

the Sensitivity if it is set too high.

Steve Grisetti mentioned in your other thread here the Audio Meters.

You find the Audio Meters under Expert workspace Window Menu/Audio Meters.

Narration is in Stereo (2 channel), so the Audio Meters will display two vertical bars which show up and down activity. When the volume is too high, you will see a red spot at the top of each bar (that is called clipping, otherwise known as sound distortion). You do not want that. So lower the volume. See Applied Tab as mentioned. Or, redo the narration as indicated.

Thing to remember about sound representation...0 dB does not mean no sound. Rather it is the level of sound as it was originally recorded. + dB to max 6 increases the volume, and - bB to infinity lowers to mutes the volume.

I am remember a tutorial on tips for recording narration. Let me see if I can find it.

Please review the above and let us know if any of it improved your narration issues.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                                      DonatHome Level 1

Hi ATR and all that are here,

I had to take a break as my mind was wondering. I followed your advice and finished the video, but did not produce until I went through it. I have in this video, two video clips in the beginning as an intro to what is to follow..

Then I have 16 slides that I imported from Powerpoint 2007  I added narration, then added music in the background.  Up to slide 11 everything was going perfect, just as I wanted it.  I think I took a break, as my ole eyes were getting blurry.  When I came back I think I must have put the headset on different then before as slides 12-16 the narration changed. It seemed lower, and my voice seemd a little different. I tried the audio gain, and got a little help.

I tried the sudio meters but did not quite understand what help they would give as I didn't see  a way to adjust them.  I have so many windows open from adobe, and viewed many tutorials, but could not master this.

I gave thought to audacity, but did not have success with that. Keep in mind I am an old "newbie: to computers and Internet and especially to Adobe Premeire 12.  I only got this far because of your help. I only wish I would have found the forum a month ago.

I don't want to start anew as I have fogotten a lot that I did in the beginning.

I could keep my intro videos and delete everything else and re-import everything but not sure how to do that.

I could try to master Audacity, but I would rather not.

Any suggestions would be much  appreciated

Don

• 16. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

DonatHome

I thought and thought about how to sort this all out. From what you describe I suspect that there is a problem standardizing your narration sessions from clip to clip and from time of day to time of day.

a. One thought might be to fix the microphone at a given distance from your voice, assure the narration recording settings remain the same, and pick a time when your voice is at peak quality. How many of these narration clips do you need to complete the project? Have you considered devoting a day to doing them all at one time, starting perhaps in the morning? A marathon of narration.

b. If you want to salvage the existing narration after that 11th one, you could try to set the dB level according to what you hear rather than going directly to say a fixed 1 dB, 2 dB or 3 dB or higher level. There are circumstances when the higher the volume there is more of a chance of distorting the sound. That distortion can be referred to a clipping. If you were to play the narration with the Audio Meter open and you had this clipping, you would see red dots at the top of the Audio Meter vertical bars.

c. You could take each of your not so good narrations into Audacity and apply the Amplify effect as needed to them.

But, I am sort of favoring doing all your narration in one marathon session with standardized microphone and narration procedures.

Please think about the above and then let us know what is working or not working for you. We will think about this some more.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 17. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                                          DonatHome Level 1

Hi ATR,

I am back. I looked at all your suggestions and you were right on. When I did the narration in two sessions my headphone mic was not in the same position.  The one marathon narration session was what I ended up with, and did run into a little problem with my voice wearing down a little, but not enough to be noticable.I so appreicate you donotaing so  much of your time to help me. I hope someday I will be good at this and help someone work out a problem.

I want to produce the video in an mp4 format to put on the cloud for some viewers, and also want to produce it as DVD or CD. I went to produce, and didn't see an option for mp4 and was snot sure which option to use and which to do first, so I can have an mp4 and a CD/DVD. Thank you for any suggestions.

Thank you and everyone for your help.

Don

Don

• 18. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

Good to learn of your progress. Sounds great.

We talked so much about narration. I do not recall seeing much information on your video. So, we are going to need information on the project settings that you are using. If you are not sure, please check the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and tell us the readings if Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if those fields look grayed out).

Here is an example...if you have 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, you could use for export...

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30

You cannot burn to CD in Premiere Elements, only DVD or Blu-ray disc. If you wanted to produce a DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc (playable on a DVD player), then

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

disc with presets = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

We can fine tune the above once you confirm the details of what you have on the Timeline.

What is the Timeline duration?

More later.

ATR

• 19. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                                              DonatHome Level 1

Hi ATR,

When I first looked at your response it was like looking at somwething written in a foreign language.

Editing Mode               (Grayed Out) DSLR

Timebase                    (Grayed Out) 29.97 frames/second

Frame Size                                       1920  horizontal

1080  vertical 

Pixel Aspect Ratio      (Grayed Out)                                              

• 20. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                                                DonatHome Level 1

Hi ATR,

I must have hit the wrong button and signed out.

Hi ATR,

When I first looked at your response it was like looking at somwething written in a foreign language.

Editing Mode               (Grayed Out) DSLR

Timebase                    (Grayed Out) 29.97 frames/second

Frame Size                                       1920  horizontal

1080  vertical 

Pixel Aspect Ratio      (Grayed Out)  Square Pixels 1.0  

Don

• 21. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

Thanks for the follow up. You did great supplying the project information that we needed confirmation on.

1. If you have your Timeline content displaying in the Edit area monitor without black borders, then you should be ready for export via the Publish+Share area. (Black borders are used by some for effect, but, if you do not want them, that is another matter.)

For upload to YouTube, we have two ways to go

a. Premiere Elements 12 Publish+Share/Social Websites/YouTube with Presets = High Definition for YouTube - 1920 x 1080. Then hit the "Next" button at the bottom of the YouTube area and follow the instructions.

b. Export your Timeline to a AVCHD.mp4 file saved to the computer hard drive from where you upload that file to YouTube at the YouTube website. To create the file

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

You may get forced into using "b" depending on the size of your Timeline content. YouTube feature within Premiere Elements has limitations 2 GB/15 minutes. If your Timeline content is greater than those limits, you can apply for extended limits from YouTube at the YouTube web site using "b".

Please review and consider. I will clarify wherever you want clarification. Do you hesitate to let me know where I need to fine tune the information.

Looking forward to your results.

Best wishes

ATR

• 22. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                                                    DonatHome Level 1

Hello ATR,

I have been 24/7 in the ministry and finally got a little break.

Although I need the information for YouTube, that is coming later.

Right now I want to publish to mp4 (I think) so I put it up in the cloud in either
                                                    "Box" or "iCloud." I want to have a few people in my church proof it and see it it is what is wanted.

Then I want to get it on CD or DVD which ever is best and  allowed.

Then get a face for the CD/DVD and a cover.

Then get a dozen CD/DVDs to distribute  to some churches for their use.

My timeline ends just before  00.19.09.06

Lastly, possible market it on  the Internet, and at that time Youtube.

Thank you for you expert advice and kindness in helping me.

Don

• 23. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

DonatHome

I have never used Box or iCloud for sharing video or other files.

There is no opportunity to burn to CD with Premiere Elements. Your burn to disc opportunities include:

DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc

AVCHD format on DVD disc

Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc

The last two offer HD video on a disc but the player is a Blu-ray Player; whereas, the DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc should be accepted by the DVD player. You need to gauge what player your viewer is mostly likely to have...computer player or DVD player or Blu-ray player.or one of those super multi media players.

Although it is possible to make multiple copies in the burn to process, typically the best results for copies of the first burn to comes from using the "Exact Copy" feature of the burn software that came with the burner. And, there is a technique (applicable to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc and AVCHD on DVD where you burn to folder. Then you use 3rd party software like ImgBurn to take the saved VIDEO_TS Folder or BDMV Folder and take each to DVD-VIDEO and AVCHD on DVD disc respectively.

On anything that you plan to setl, always double check your source files for copyright.

Please review and then let me know if you want more detail on any of the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 24. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                                                        DonatHome Level 1

Hello ATR,

I am getting deeper and deeper into areas I have never even heard about.

My first desire would be to get this in mp4 format. I can put that in the cloud give some people a password and they can view it.

My next step would be to put it somehow on a disk that people could play on their computer. That would get me started.

Then, if all is well, I would  have someone I know make about a dozen CD/DVDs for me to play on computer. (CD/DVD meaning I don't know the difference. Whatever works for most of the population)

That is about as far as I should be trying to achieve, as I am so new to all of this.

My only hope is you will be able to help me accomplish this.

Thanks,

Don

• 25. Re: Narration in Premiere Elements 12
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

Let us put some of your plan into action.

If you are pleased with your Premiere Elements Timeline, that is, it looks and sounds good in the Edit area monitor at playback, then let us export that Timeline to the .mp4 file.

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

Name the file before you hit Save which will start the export process. Designate the save location for the export.

When the export is complete, try to play back the video from its hard drive save location with one of your computer players, like Windows Media Player for starters. How does is look and sound.

We will watch for those results and then decide what next.

Best wishes

ATR