4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2014 2:52 AM by Rick Gerard

Radial Audio Spectrum

Yellowships

Hai there everyone!

Just a little question, pretty new to after effects.

You see, I have a circle with a transparent gardient in it. Picture related.

Bulle2.jpg

But I want to have a Radial outer glow to react to an audio track

Thanks in advance friends!

• 1. Re: Radial Audio Spectrum
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not sure what you are asking. You know, Audio Spectrum can use a mask as a path already... The rest is just understanding some basic compositing principles like creating glows with blurreed duplicates of layers and using mattes to cut away unwanted parts.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Radial Audio Spectrum
            AlpineEdits

The way I do it is to make a solid and place Audio Spectrum effect on it.  Be sure the beginning is all the way to the left and the end is all the way to the right, this isn't set by default! and set Side Option to Side B.  Make the Audio layer set as the song.

Then make a seperate composition, drag the one with the Audio Bars in it and place the effect Polar Coordinates.  You would want to change the Type of Conversion to Rect to Polar, then max the Interpolation to 100%.

Should look like this afterwards:

Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 3.13.42 AM.png

You may need to rescale and reposition afterwards!

• 3. Re: Radial Audio Spectrum
              AlpineEdits Level 1

Or (as Mylenium said) you can create a Path for the Audio Spectrum.  You just go to the Ellipse Tool and (while the Audio Spectrum Layer is selected) Click and drag (while holding shift) to create a circle.  This is called a mask path and it will cut your image, set the Mask type to None.  You then go to the effect controls of the Audio Spectrum and change the Path to Mask 1

You audio bars should look like this:

Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 3.26.10 AM.png

This looks a little better in my opinion because there is no warping of the image.

• 4. Re: Radial Audio Spectrum
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would use Keyframe assistant Audio To Keyframes then use an expression to drive something like color phase in glow.

Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 2.51.51 AM.png