3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2014 2:33 AM by Peter Spier

Setting inside margins

BobMa x

I am unable to reset the inside margins on an existing document.  Editing "Document Preset" for inside margin has no effect on the document - I can change the numbers to any value with no effect on the document.  Changing gutter has no effect.  I have tried setting margins in the master pages, also no effect.  I can change margins by right click on an existing text frame (text frame options), but this only allows setting left or right frame margins for the whole document.

• 1. Re: Setting inside margins
          Migintosh Level 4

Since I'm not looking at your file, I can only guess what's going on, but here's something to consider. Sometimes people don't realize which master pages are assigned to their document pages, so when they edit a master, nothing happens on the document pages. If you're sure you are editing the correct master page and not getting any results, try trashing your preferences.

• 2. Re: Setting inside margins
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Document settings have no influence on the layout. YOu have to adjust your master pages for the margins. For the column gutter also your object styles.

• 3. Re: Setting inside margins
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Let me amplify Willi's comment...

After the initial creation of the file, Document setup can be used to change the page size and bleed/slug settings, but that's all. There should be no access at all in an exisiting file to margins or columns from anywhere but the Layout menu. Depending on what page is active, changing the margins will affect only an active document page or group of selected pages inthe pages panel, or a selected master page and any masters based on it if you have a master page active. Changing the master page will only update margins on the documetn page if you have not previously adjusted them directly.