6 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2007 1:35 PM by creativehulk

Autorun is too slow

creativehulk
      I have an autorun on my CD project and it takes too long to open.

I have created a stub projector with Shockwave compression, Xtras removed and placed in an Xtras folder on the same directory level as the projector, and have included the application resource files.

Even when I use a barebones test moviethat links from the stub projector, there is no speed increase. On some machines it can take twenty seconds to launch, on others a minute and a half. The stub is 420K, the test test movie is 185K.

This is my INF file code:
      [autorun]
      OPEN=CLICKME.exe
      icon=Source\logo.ico

Is there any way I can speed up the autorun process? Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Autorun is too slow
          Level 7
          Is it that slow when you run the program from your hard drive or only
          from CD? If it is only when running from CD, then the problem is likely
          that you have a slow CD Drive and there is nothing you can do to speed
          that up apart from getting a new one. If it runs slowly off the hard
          drive as well, then there is something else going on in your program...

This won't help speed it up, but it will make it seem to be faster...
          you can make a splash screen easily. Make a bitmap file in the same
          folder as your stub projector and give it the same name.

If you have a file called "stub.exe", then make your splash screen named
          "stub.bmp". <On a Mac, I think it should be a PICT file, named "stub.pct">

That bmp image will load very quickly and make it look like the prgram
          is opening faster because at least the user gets a little feedback
          saying something is happening.
          • 2. Re: Autorun is too slow
            creativehulk Level 1
            Running from the hard drive is very responsive -- around 10 seconds wait. Testing on three new CD/DVD drives (Windows XP) clock at about 55 seconds. Windows XP on a ThinkPad clocked at 40 sec. An older Dell clocked the best at 30 sec running Windows 2000.

I'm not following how you would make the bitmap display. Autorun it? What would it open in? Would it still be open after you exited the main program?
            • 3. Re: Autorun is too slow
              Level 7
              If you include a bmp file with the same name as your projector (CLICKME.bmp
              in your case) Director will display the image nearly immediately. I've used
              this techniques before. It does not make the projector load any quicker.

What I've always done is used a screen capture of my application, overlaying
              a 'Loading, please wait message'. If nothing else, the user gets some
              indication that the program is working.

"creativehulk" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:f3kcn2$hnp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Running from the hard drive is very responsive -- around 10 seconds wait.
              > Testing on three new CD/DVD drives (Windows XP) clock at about 55 seconds.
              > Windows XP on a ThinkPad clocked at 40 sec. An older Dell clocked the best
              > at
              > 30 sec running Windows 2000.
              >
              > I'm not following how you would make the bitmap display. Autorun it? What
              > would it open in? Would it still be open after you exited the main
              > program?
              >

• 4. Re: Autorun is too slow
                Level 7
                Try it. You'll see what I mean.

It just opens the image as a splash screen. You know how when you open
                Director itself, before the interface shows up, there is a splash screen
                saying the name of the program and the logo? That. But you can make the
                image look however you want it to look. The splash screen disappears as
                soon as your actual program loads.
                • 5. Re: Autorun is too slow
                  Level 7
                  ...and no, it does not stay open. The image goes away when the projector
                  finishes loading.

• 6. Re: Autorun is too slow
                    creativehulk Level 1
                    Wow, it does work! How the heck you would know to do that is beyond me. I never even saw a Director start up screen before. The worst case scenario it takes 15-20 sec to load the BMP from the CD, then 30 sec to start the stub projector.

In a separate test I found that removing the autorun saves 15-20 sec to the reading process. I wonder if the newer Windows operating systems are causing more of a delay since it opens faster on Window 2000?

Thanks guys!!!