10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2014 11:04 AM by Kittiwake30

Editable Vectors In Indesign?

Kittiwake30

I am having issues importing vector graphic in AI into my InDesign template.

I have tried placing the file in .ai or .eps, copying and pasting it, etc. and it always appears as a single uneditable file, and the ungroup object option is not available, no is edit original option or anything of the sort.

To clarify, I have already adjusted the preference in Adobe Illustrator and Indesign further to preference recommendatiosn I have seen here.

• 1. Re: Editable Vectors In Indesign?
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

In Illustrator, preferences>file handling and clipboard >copy as> turn on: AICB and preserve path, then copy from Ai and paste in indesign

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Editable Vectors In Indesign?
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You will never get a complicated graphic to come into InDesign as editable unless you want to break it down into smaller parts.

What is the purpose of this exercise?

• 3. Re: Editable Vectors In Indesign?
              Kittiwake30 Level 1

Bob, I am producing an annual report for my company. In previous years, I pieced it together page by page but this year I tried InDesign. I started two days ago with a deadline of Tuesday. Not the wisest.

I am using the illustrator file handling preferences recommended already. Does not work.

I do not want to do complex vector editing in Indesign. I have a few small, simple vectors (a piggybank, etc.) in illustrator I want to paste into inDesign so I can add some very basic infographic-style callouts to the report. Where I cannot edit the vector in indesign, I cannot recolor it to match the scheme I am using across the report. I just can't understand why it won't let me ungroup the vector after I've imported it.

I also have a problem where InDesign and AI will not run concurrently (one or the other will crash if I try and open both) which makes this very cumbersome, but expect this is more a computer performance issue.

• 4. Re: Editable Vectors In Indesign?

Quite simply, what you are attempting to do is not something I would expect to work. What you consider a simple drawing is not necessarily simple enough to copy/paste from Illy.

Complex graphics are pasted in as embedded graphics and that’s it.

If you need to edit do it in Illustrator and place the resulting file as AI or PDF.

• 5. Re: Editable Vectors In Indesign?
                  Kittiwake30 Level 1

I am not sure why the vector elements cannot be ungrouped, recolored, etc. This happens when I import as AI and place as well.

I have read of other suituations indicating there is a way to ungroup imported graphics from AI in indesign. I can't do that. So if I'm hearing everyone correctly, there is no way to ungroup AI vectors in imported into ID?

If so, that would really limit the software's functionality for me.

• 6. Re: Editable Vectors In Indesign?

That’s like saying a saw has limited use because it can’t act as a wrench.

• 7. Re: Editable Vectors In Indesign?
                      SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why not recolor the graphics in Illustrator, and then Place them into your InDesign document?

• 8. Re: Editable Vectors In Indesign?
                        Kittiwake30 Level 1

Yes, I am going to do that.

Still entirely unsure as to why an AI file imported into ID cannot be ungrouped.

In my fruitless search for answers, I swear I've seen vector objects being ungrouped in ID in tutorials. There's an ungroup option, it's just not available to me.

I guess I have to arrive on the fact that vector objects imported into ID cannot be adjusted any further, in other words, I can only insert the original, end of.

• 9. Re: Editable Vectors In Indesign?

Placed graphics are uneditable in ID.

SIMPLE pasted graphics can be edited.

COMPLEX pasted graphics cannot be edited.

• 10. Re: Editable Vectors In Indesign?
                            Kittiwake30 Level 1

Thanks, Bob. Appreciate your time in helping out someone on the low end of the learning curve.