7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2014 6:16 PM by A.T. Romano

I moved my source videos and now I need to locate every single file...

farmerdwightks

Is there an easier way to just change the directory for example to where all my videos clips are now located?

Or do I really have to point to the exact file for each and every one?

• 1. Re: I moved my source videos and now I need to locate every single file...
          nealeh Level 5

After pointing it at the first one it should find the remainder automatically (if you moved them all to the same place).

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 2. Re: I moved my source videos and now I need to locate every single file...
            farmerdwightks Level 1

I wish it was that easy.  I have a single main folder for my entire project.  I had moved that folder from the desktop on my laptop to a harddrive on my main computer.

Within the single main folder are numerous subfolders that contain several videos in each.

My project now prompts me for the location of every single clip.

• 3. Re: I moved my source videos and now I need to locate every single file...
              A.T. Romano Level 7

farmerdwightks

Let us back up to gather some basic information that might hopefully resolve the issue....

a. Given a project with everything in one folder. What kind of folder? The usual Windows folder OR the Copied or Trimmed Folder from the Premiere Elements' Project Archiver (Archiver or Copy option)? Let us assume if now the answer is a Windows folder.

b. Do you still have this All In One Folder on the desktop of your laptop computer? If so, what is stopping you from opening the project file there and archiving the project, Project Archiver Copy Option, transferring the Copied Folder to USB Flash Drive, and then taking that USB Flash Drive to main computer with Premiere Elements. On main computer, you can open the Copied Folder with project and its assets, right click the project.prel file and select Open with, followed by the name of your Premiere Elements version? Is same version of Premiere Elements on laptop and this main computer?

Let us rule in or out the above and then we can consider what next.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: I moved my source videos and now I need to locate every single file...
                farmerdwightks Level 1

The folders I speak of are basic Windows folders.

I wasn't aware of this Project Archiving feature which I assume will adjust the file locations to move along with the project.  So I can defintely give that a shot.

What if I didn't have access to my laptop though?  Is there a way to tell Adobe that my project has moved to a new location and to just look around in the folder till it finds all the video clips it needs?  Seems like a real basic function.

• 5. Re: I moved my source videos and now I need to locate every single file...
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

farmerdwightks

The major thought is that, when you import media into a project, what you have in the project are just copies of the originals that were saved to the computer hard drive. In order for the project to work, it must trace back to its source media at the hard drive save location where they were imported from. If not, the horror stories of Media Offline.

Everything would be very easy for you if you can get your project from the laptop in a Copied Folder generated by the laptop's Premiere Elements File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy option. That Copied folder will contain the project file (project.prel) plus copies of the source media that were imported into the project (whether just into Projects Assets or actually used on the Timeline).

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

Matters can be complicated if the above does not exist. It can come to "Where is the file....?" for reconnecting links between project and source media at its new location on the main computer. In this scenario you just have to get lucky and hope that the program will reconnect more than one missing piece as you labor through one of these messages at a time. You could click Skip All on the first to get into the project. But then you still have to do the reconnects.

The Replace Footage is an interesting alternative to the "Where is the file....?" messages. But, best take your chances with the latter before testing out Replace Footage

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-replace-footage.html

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: I moved my source videos and now I need to locate every single file...
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, the locations of the media files in a Premiere Project is best set up, before one Imports the files. If they are Moved after Import, things can be as easy, as Neale describes, of difficult with a lot of manual linking, as you have found out.

While others work with you on locating and relinking with this Project, you might want to look at a workflow and arrangement, similar to what is listed in this article, for the next Project: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/919388

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: I moved my source videos and now I need to locate every single file...
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

farmerdwightks

Although structuring your computer files and folder structure to your organizational needs is a good idea, that is not the focus here.

You stated concern is

I had moved that folder from the desktop on my laptop to a harddrive on my main computer.

The focus is keeping your source media connected to the project.prel when an unplanned for transfer of a project from laptop to main computer is required.

If there is any planning ahead to avoid the situation you are in, I believe the answer is the program's Project Archiver. If it is too late for that, then lots of patience for media project reconnects are in order.

ATR