12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2014 11:21 AM by cneville2

Pagemaker line art loses quality when opened in ID

cneville2 Level 1

Hi,

I have a small booklet which I created some years ago in PageMaker 6.5.  Each page is 11 x 17 inches black and white.  I would like to redo some of the pages and create new ones in InDesign.  I have at this point no significant experinece working with In Design. 

Initially I was just hopeful to be able to print the old pages from InDesign since the computer with PageMaker is probably on limted time.  When I try to open the PageMaker file they do open, but the line art illustrations which were "fine line" art of boat profiles turn into very crude looking art.  They look like they were drawn with a crayon.  Is there something that is controlling the quality of these illustrations when opened or imported?  Is there any way to get back to at least the original quality that I see in PageMaker?  

I'd like to have the original pages to at least use as a starting pong.

Thanks,

chuck

• 1. Re: Pagemaker line art loses quality when opened in ID
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First thing is to change the image preview quality. View > Display Quality > High Quality Display.

But if the images were embedded (in which case yo should unembed before conversion), or if they were linked and the links are missing, you have only the previews, not your full-res lineart, and you're going to have problems. Converting from PM to ID is seldom straightforward, and the result can be anything from near perfect to usesless.

• 2. Re: Pagemaker line art loses quality when opened in ID
            SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try View>Display Performance>High Quality Display

The images in InDesign need to be linked to the original graphics files for those drawings, but I don't know how InDesign handles it if the images were embedded instead of linked in the Pagemaker file.

How do the illustrations show in the links panel? Do they have red or yellow icons beside them?

• 3. Re: Pagemaker line art loses quality when opened in ID
              cneville2 Level 1

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions. 

I guess I need to try and determine how the graphics on those files were done.  I don't know how old those files are.  I'm a boat designer who uses these tools occasionally (that's probably an overstatment). 

The original graphics were from AutoCad.  I remember that I couldn't create a usable jpg or tif file in AutoCad.  I think I ultimately ended up copying from AutoCad into Illustrator to make a vector file and then taking them through Photoshop to create a raster file and then into ID 

Any other help identifying the file type or  how to bind / convert / or whatever to make them suitable to ID 6 would be appreciated

thanks

c

• 4. Re: Pagemaker line art loses quality when opened in ID
                tman69 Level 3

Peter--with 49000+ posts, I am surprised that you said..."But if the images were embedded (in which case yo should unembed before conversion)" I mean--you remember Pagemaker don't you?

Pagemaker embedding--you go to your links pallette--select a link--check the 'unlink' box and it's embedded--and--it can't be unembedded!--however--if you can open your Pagemaker document (with embedded links) in Indesign--the embedded links can be seen and unembedded from the links pallette--I know this because I have had to do this in the prepress department where I work--it works flawlessly--cheers to Indesign

• 5. Re: Pagemaker line art loses quality when opened in ID
                  Migintosh Level 4

tman69 wrote:

--and--it can't be unembedded!

Not the way I remember. If you had an embedded image, you could establish a link to a graphic file and deselect the embed checkbox (or how ever it worked—I haven't touched PageMaker in many years), and you would have a linked image. Once saved in PageMaker, this type of file was much more reliable when opened in InDesign. I do remember very clearly that embedded images could be turned into linked images, if those images were available. And I seem to remember a way to extract embedded images and open them in Photoshop, where you would save the image and then relink it in PageMaker. It might have involved a round trip through PDF and Illustrator, but I don't remember. If I had my old G3 I could probably work it out, but it's long gone too.

• 6. Re: Pagemaker line art loses quality when opened in ID
                    tman69 Level 3

when we received a Pagemaker doc with embedded images, we never got the links--the workaround was--select the link on the page--then export it to photoshop--but what you got was the 'screen' preview (72dpi)--which was acceptable for 'insty print' quality but not for high end printing--Indesign can actually 'extract' the original embedded file data at full resoulution.

...ahh the good old days of Pagemaker G3's and G4's

• 7. Re: Pagemaker line art loses quality when opened in ID
                      cneville2 Level 1

Hi all

Thanks for the information.  In PageMaker I found two Link references in the element pull down menu.  One is Link Info (which is greyed out).  The other is Link Options which is set to put the graphic in the drawing.  I believe that is telling me that these are not linked images.  I believe that is telling me it is not a Linked item.

When I double click on the image I get a pop up that says "Cannot Use OLE Object". "PageMaker cannot start the server application.  Make sure there is enough memory and the server is installed properly."  As I said I don't remember how I originally assembeled these.  Is there any way to get them to come into InDesign with at least the original quality or do I need to bite the bullet and start from scratch.  Attached is a copy of the bad InDesign version.  I tried showing the good pm 6.5 version but it didn't show  up well.

Again any thoughts would be helpful. I may need to just redo all 30 or 40 pages.

Thanks,

chuck boat.jpg

• 8. Re: Pagemaker line art loses quality when opened in ID
                        Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like you pasted them into Pagemaker. That means you need to recreate them.

• 9. Re: Pagemaker line art loses quality when opened in ID
                          Bo LeBeau Level 4

What shows up when you open the Links Manager in PageMaker? Cmd/Ctrl - Shift - D

If I remember correctly, small files under a certain size were automatically embedded (this may have been a preference)

Your boat image is too complex to have been embedded by accident.

Did this boat print correctly in PageMaker?

If it had been just pasted into PageMaker it never would have printed sharply.

• 10. Re: Pagemaker line art loses quality when opened in ID
                            cneville2 Level 1

When I open the Link Manager:

It shows Document Kind   NA

File AutoCAD drawing

Page 1

The drawing has printed fine in PageMaker for many many years.

I'm just trying to find a way for it to continue to do so.

c

• 11. Re: Pagemaker line art loses quality when opened in ID
                              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hmmmm. Did you happen to use a paste special with that and use OLE?

• 12. Re: Pagemaker line art loses quality when opened in ID
                                cneville2 Level 1

Hi

Thank you all for your help.  I thought I'd post a short response to what I've since found out and a link that was helpful in doing so.  As I said because of my lack of experience both with PageMaker and with InDesign I reslly didn't understand how the original PageMaker files were set up nor did I remember how I originally made them. 

Searching, I found this link called "Processing Adobe Pagemaker Files for Conversion to Adobe InDesign".  http://www.ideastraining.com/PDFs/ProcessingPgMkrFiles.pdf

It walked me through identifying what I had and how to correct it.  It turns out that the page had a number of embedded graphics that had links that were no capable of updating for various reasons. A number of the graphics were also in .gif format which apparently InDesign didn't accommodate. So in trying to open these pages, InDesign dumped the original graphics and only left a crude tiff image which is what I was seeing. 

I could try to salvage the sheets, but there are so many small problems that I think it's best to bite the bullet and just redo them.  Going through the excercise with the help of the link above,  however, 1) educated me in what I really had and 2) helped me to locate the original graphics which were on my computer but I didn't recognize. They were all clearly identified in the Links Manager. I simply didn't realize they had originally been linked.  That at least allows me to find the original art then message or convert it as necessary in Photoshop or Illustrator. 

I've made a template and now I'm just going to start one page at a time.

I just wanted to post the link above in the hopes it may help someone else. 

Again thanks for the quick response and thoughtful replies to my question.

chuck