3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 8:23 AM by donindallas

Can No Export InDesign Snippets

TheOaksMan

I am using InDesign CS6 8.0.2 (updated today, 4/28/2014) on Mac OSX 10.9.2, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I am attempting to export snippets to my desktop via File-Export-Format InDesign Snippet.

Everything appears to operate correctly, but I can not find the idms file on my desktop.

Is there a setting I need to change?

Thanks for any time and help offered.

• 1. Re: Can No Export InDesign Snippets
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@TheOaksMan – there are two options to export IDMS files (snippet file format) out of InDesign.

Select one or some objects on the page and:

1. Export to IDMS with the menu command File / Export… / InDesign-Snippet

or:

2. dragging the selected objects out of the page to the file system (Finder)

No need to drag it to the Desktop folder, every folder you have write permission will fit.

Does option 2 work for you?

Uwe

• 2. Re: Can No Export InDesign Snippets
            TheOaksMan Level 1

Thank you for answering, Laubender.

Neither option works for me. That's why I was wondering if there is a plugin, extension or option selection that is not set correctly.

Thanks again, for answering.

• 3. Re: Can No Export InDesign Snippets
              donindallas

I am using ID CS6 on Windows 7.  I was having trouble with the File>Export as the InDesign Snippet option was not provided.

This post was helpful to me, to use the drag and drop to Explorer to create a snippet. That at least proved that snippets worked and I was otherwise doing something wrong. However, I have since realized that I was trying to save ONLY a table as a snippet, which I surmise is not a viable object. If I selected the text frame that contained the table then File>Export provided the Snippet option.

I guess that is ok. It's just more than I wanted since my pages are one text frame for the whole page. All this to get around the fact that ID does not save column/row sizes as part of the Table or Cell styles. Perhaps someday.