6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2014 4:59 AM by MurraySummers RSS

what is the correct or best way to manage your site files in accordance to your site folder?

Edward T Wilkins

I apologise if this seems like a silly question but i'm still struggling to get my head around the management of files when using dreamweaver. I know i am meant to create a root file which i have created on my desktop. Do all my websites that i there in create in dreamweaver go into sub files within this main file or am i supposed to have more than one root file?

Ive assumed that i create only one up to this point. However i have further issues.. for example when creating a fluid grid website i go through the steps of first creating my sub folder for that new site in my main root file for dreamweaver, I save my css file in it when asked, and then i save the main html file there under 'save as' as well... however it then, as you know, creates two seperate files, 'boilerplate' and 'respond' but instead of placing them into my sub folder for that site it places them in the root file instead of in the sub folder which is in the root file (if that makes sense). If i then move them manually into the sub folder to keep things tidy will this mess my files up? will dreamweaver know to look for them in the sub folder as opposed to the root file where it automatically keeps putting them?

Or have i got the complete wrong end of the stick in uderstanding how file management works all together?

Any help greatly appreciated

Ed

• 1. Re: what is the correct or best way to manage your site files in accordance to your site folder?
          MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

1. Create your local (and remote if it exists) site definition by browsing to and selecting the folder (not file) that will contain all of your site's files

2. Each site would have a different root folder (until you really understand DW you should not make the root folder of one site nest within the root of another site)

It's as simple as that. Your sites files go in the root folder, at ANY folder level. As long as you link to them correctly everything will be hunky dory.

Example:

c:/documents/websites/siteA

c:/documents/websites/siteB

c:/documents/websites/siteC

c:/documents/websites/siteD

Four different sites, each within separate root folders, each containing files unique to that site.

• 2. Re: what is the correct or best way to manage your site files in accordance to your site folder?
            Nancy O. MVP

I keep each site in it's own folder.  Since I mainly work with PHP sites,  I use a local testing server (wamp) and that's where my various site folders are located.

C:\wamp\www\SiteName1\

C:\wamp\www\SiteName2\

etc...

Nancy O.

• 3. Re: what is the correct or best way to manage your site files in accordance to your site folder?
              Edward T Wilkins Community Member

ok so just to clarify. Each site actually does have it's own root folder and simply for organisations sake you place all of your root folders for each site in a bigger folder which in your case is titled 'websites'.

My only confusion still is that dreamweaver seems to have any new site i create automatically trying to go to a root folder i created for a site a while back. This is why i assumed you only have one root folder and all your different sites exist within it. You see the process i follow is as follows:

- I create a new folder outside of dreamweaver on my desktop first which shall house all that sites documents. I have been creating each new folder in what i thought was the main single root folder for dreamweaver which was on my desktop up to this point.

- i then open up dreamweaver and go create a new fluid grid layout site

- it asks me to save my css file somwhere... i save it in my new site folder (i now know this to be called my sites root folder as each new site has its own root folder)

- when it all opens i go to 'file' and the 'save as' so that i can place the HTML document into my root folder as well. (remember this root folder is sitting in another folder which i have been calling 'root folder' but you i presume are just calling 'websites' in that example.

- when i do this the html saves into the site root folder as i expect.

- however, dreamweaver also asks my permission to create two new documents as mentioned (boilerlate and respond). Despite me trying to click on the sites root folder and it saving the documents within it like the rest, it instead saves them in what would be your 'websites' folder in that example.... next to the sites root folder which i would have expected it should be in (not next to... correct me if i'm wrong)

why do you think this is happening? or is it supposed to? i would have thought not myself.

as i side question whilst im here.. when i see that my css or js documents have been saved in the wrong place like i assume they have been in the example above... how do i change the location of them within dreamweaver so that dreamweaver is aware of where they have been moved to? I know how to do this for the main HTML document because its easily done using 'save as' under the file menu, but im unsure of how to do it for the other documents that dreamweaver creates for something like a fluid grid layout.

Sorry... im sure this is tedious for those who know how.. but i'd love to get my head around this basic stuff

Thanks again

Ed

• 4. Re: what is the correct or best way to manage your site files in accordance to your site folder?
                MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

ok so just to clarify. Each site actually does have it's own root folder and simply for organisations sake you place all of your root folders for each site in a bigger folder which in your case is titled 'websites'.

Exactly that.

My only confusion still is that dreamweaver seems to have any new site i create automatically trying to go to a root folder i created for a site a while back. This is why i assumed you only have one root folder and all your different sites exist within it.

Ignore that. I sometimes see this happen as well. But since you browse to find the new site's root folder anyhow, it's imminently ignorable!

- I create a new folder outside of dreamweaver on my desktop first which shall house all that sites documents. I have been creating each new folder in what i thought was the main single root folder for dreamweaver which was on my desktop up to this point.

*** There is no 'single root folder for dreamweaver'. As you have surmised, each site has its own root folder and each root folder contains *all* of the files that constitute that particular site. ***

- i then open up dreamweaver and go create a new fluid grid layout site

- it asks me to save my css file somwhere... i save it in my new site folder (i now know this to be called my sites root folder as each new site has its own root folder)

*** All of my sites have a "_css" folder in the root. I prefix such folders with an underscore so that this and any others like it (for example "_img", "_scripts", etc.) will sort together and at the top of the file list. This _css folder within the root of that site is where I would save the stylesheet you just mentioned. ***

- when it all opens i go to 'file' and the 'save as' so that i can place the HTML document into my root folder as well. (remember this root folder is sitting in another folder which i have been calling 'root folder' but you i presume are just calling 'websites' in that example.

*** Just so. *** 

- when i do this the html saves into the site root folder as i expect.

- however, dreamweaver also asks my permission to create two new documents as mentioned (boilerlate and respond). Despite me trying to click on the sites root folder and it saving the documents within it like the rest, it instead saves them in what would be your 'websites' folder in that example.... next to the sites root folder which i would have expected it should be in (not next to... correct me if i'm wrong)

*** Well, this suggests that you have not defined the root folder properly. Those two files should be saved within the site's root. If that location is not what you are referring to as the site's root, then something is wrong.

why do you think this is happening? or is it supposed to? i would have thought not myself.

as i side question whilst im here.. when i see that my css or js documents have been saved in the wrong place like i assume they have been in the example above... how do i change the location of them within dreamweaver so that dreamweaver is aware of where they have been moved to? I know how to do this for the main HTML document because its easily done using 'save as' under the file menu, but im unsure of how to do it for the other documents that dreamweaver creates for something like a fluid grid layout.

Sorry... im sure this is tedious for those who know how.. but i'd love to get my head around this basic stuff

*** The best way to change the location of any files being used in a DW site is to use DW's Files panel to drag and drop these files in the desired location. DW's link management will kick in when you do that and adjust any existing links to those files to accommodate your move. ***

Here's a set of images that show the process I follow for creating a new site -

INITIATE THE NEW SITE PROCESS

DreamweaverScreenSnapz014.jpg

NAME THE SITE, AND THEN BROWSE TO THE NEW LOCATION FOR THE ROOT (this image shows the starting state before either of those have been done)

DreamweaverScreenSnapz015.jpg

BROWSE TO THE FOLDER WITHIN WHICH YOUR NEW SITE'S ROOT WILL BE CREATED

DreamweaverScreenSnapz016.jpg

BY CLICKING ON THE NEW FOLDER OPTION, YOU CREATE THE NEW SITE'S ROOT FOLDER, AND THEN CHOOSE IT

DreamweaverScreenSnapz017.jpg

I HAVE CREATED TWO NEW FOLDERS WITHIN THAT ROOT FOLDER WHICH WILL HOUSE MY CSS AND IMAGES RESPECTIVELY

DreamweaverScreenSnapz018.jpg

AFTER SELECTING THE NEW SITE'S ROOT FOLDER AND CLICKING "Choose", I SEE THE STARTING DIALOG AGAIN WITH THE PROPER PATH TO THAT ROOT FOLDER IN THE LOCAL SITE FOLDER FIELD

DreamweaverScreenSnapz019.jpg

I hope that helps!

• 5. Re: what is the correct or best way to manage your site files in accordance to your site folder?
                  Edward T Wilkins Community Member

wow... this is very thorough. Thank you so much for taking the time to do all that. that's cleared everything up and i'm all set.

really appreciate that

enjoy the rest of the weekend

thanks again

Ed

• 6. Re: what is the correct or best way to manage your site files in accordance to your site folder?
                    MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

Good luck, Ed. One of the most important things you can do in DW is to understand fully how site management works.