9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2014 8:37 PM by A.T. Romano

PE 10 YouTube Upload file sizes

Andrew Hall NZ Level 1

PE10 gives estimates for file sizes under the various Share options. I notice for YouTube presets that in selecting between PAL Widescreen, 1440 x 1080 and 1920 x 1080 to my considerable surprize the last one is the smallest estimated files size by a big margin (50%!). Is this actually right, so that to limit upload transfers the highest setting actually gives the smallest upload? I usually use the 1920 setting but recently I have been uploading video which was shot at 1440 and I have tried uploading this with both the other settings and it takes for ever, so perhaps it is the case that the 1920 setting actually is a much smaller files size - seems unlikely however.

Andrew

• 1. Re: PE 10 YouTube Upload file sizes
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

Something is not right.

If I take a 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 file  (file size 270 MB, duration 1 minute and 43 seconds) and use Premiere Elements 10 Share/Online/YouTube, the following is the file size estimate that I get for the H.264 flv that will present at the YouTube web site.

PAL High Definition for YouTube 1920 x 1080.......................File Size 102.19 MB and still with duration 1 minute and 43 seconds

(here the frame rate is 25 frames per second)

PAL High Definition for YouTube 1440 x 1080......................File Size 76.24 MB and still with duration 1 minute and 43 seconds

(here the frame rate is 25 frames per second)

High Defintion for YouTube 1920 x 1080.............................File Size 102.19 MB and still with duration 1 minute and 43 seconds

(here the frame rate is 29.97 frames per second)

High Definition for YouTube 1440 x 1080............................File Size 76.24 MB and still with duration 1 minute and 43 seconds

(here the frame rate is 24 frames per second)

I am not sure what YouTube does with the 1440 x 1080. I suspect that it converts it to either 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080 for its .flv.

The export of 1440 x 1080 4:3 with the 16:9 flag is typically discouraged because it depends upon player recognition of the 16:9 flag to stretch the 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding, and some players have trouble with that. The 1920 x 1080 requires no stretch. It is what it is. 16:9.

And, if I throw into the mix, the Premiere Elements 10 Online/YouTube file size estimate for this Timeline footage

PAL Flash Video for YouTube Widescreen

(here the frame size is 25 frames per second)..................File Size 38.52 MB and still with the duration 1 minute and 43 seconds

Please review and consider and let us see if we can sort out the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE 10 YouTube Upload file sizes
            Andrew Hall NZ Level 1

OK let me get this right this time. I am looking at a 3m 48s clip m2ts shot at 1440 x 1080, 25 fps, 1.333 aspect.

With YouTube PAL settings I see:

PAL flash, and also Flash PAL widescreen: 85.3Mb

PAL High Definition video for YouTube 1440 x 1080: 169Mb

PAL High Definition video for YouTube 1920 x 1080: 39Mb

The upload times seem to support these file size figures - much faster when I opt for 1920 x 1080.

Strange

Andrew

(using fully up to date XP).

• 3. Re: PE 10 YouTube Upload file sizes
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

Thanks for the additional data.

I am just not seeing that kind of estimate with my model files.

I am getting the exact same results to the numbers whether I do this testing with the same file for any of the YouTube presets mentioned in Premiere Element 12 as well as 10.

From what you described you are taking the same file and then looking at the YouTube estimates for file size. Is that correct? If so, I cannot confirm the trend that you report.

Any chance you could post a link to a DropBox sample of the file so that I could repeat my tests with the same file that you are using?

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE 10 YouTube Upload file sizes
                Andrew Hall NZ Level 1

I have a set of screen shots and an associated test video here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2B1UUTwZqYaU0ZjV1NyemNEY0U&usp=sharing

I am confident it has nothing to do with the video itself as this has ben the case for me with all files regardless of the camera source.

Cheers

Andrew

• 5. Re: PE 10 YouTube Upload file sizes
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

Thanks for the sample file for me to check out in my Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit.

I am not seeing the trend that you are seeing with regard to the YouTube estimate for file size for the uploads from within Premiere Elements 10 Share/Online/YouTube

For the sample that you sent

1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frame per second (H.264.m2ts)

File Size 43 MB, Duration 36.00 seconds

YouTube Preset and its File Size Estimate

PAL - Flash Video For YouTube (Widescreen).....................13.46 MB

PAL - High Definition Video For YouTube 1440 x 1080.........26.64 MB

PAL - High Definition Video For YouTube 1920 x 1080.........35.71 MB

Flash Video For YouTube (Widescreen)..............................13.46 MB

High Definition Video For YouTube (1440 x 1080)................26.64 MB

High Definition Video For YouTube (1920 x 1080)................35.71 MB

Please let me know how close you came to the above file sizes when you tested that same sample file in your computer environment.

Let us try this.

Take the file that you sent as a sample here, and import that into a Premiere Elements 10 project (PAL AVCHD HD1080i25)

Go to Share/Computer/AVCHD and Presets.

Set the Preset first to

M2T - H264 1440 x 1080i25

What do you see as the estimated file size? I am seeing 181.32 MB.

Set the Preset next to

M2t - H264 1920 x 1080i25

What do you see as the estimated file size? I am seeing 226.22 MB.

The duration of the file (36.00 seconds) stayed the same throughout.

Depending on your answers, we can decide whether an uninstall reinstall of QuickTime and/or Premiere Elements 10 would be in order.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE 10 YouTube Upload file sizes
                    Andrew Hall NZ Level 1

Hi there,

Yes I get exactly the same results for AVCHD as you do but for the YouTube presets I get the results in the jpg screen captures I put in the same folder as the test m2TS file ie

PAL - Flash Video For YouTube (Widescreen).....................13.46 MB

PAL - High Definition Video For YouTube 1440 x 1080.........26.64 MB

PAL - High Definition Video For YouTube 1920 x 1080.........6.27 MB

Flash Video For YouTube (Widescreen)..............................13.46 MB

High Definition Video For YouTube (1440 x 1080)................26.64 MB

High Definition Video For YouTube (1920 x 1080)................6.27 MB

As I noted above the 1920 x 1080 uploads much faster consitent with this pattern of file sizes and YouTube does recognise it as HD. You can see a file I uploaded using the 1920 x 1080. I may try uploading two of these tests to YouTube so we can look at resulting quality, I am not sure at this stage I want to fix this problem if it results in much slower uploads on my very slow ADSL connection :-). Will get back probably tomorrow with the uploaded examples.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks

Andrew

• 7. Re: PE 10 YouTube Upload file sizes
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

That High Definition Video For YouTube (1920 x 1080) estimate is strange.

Do you have any way to record 1920 x 1080 instead of 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 with your camera.

It would be interesting to see how those YouTube file size estimates would handle an actual 1920 x 1080 file.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

Add On...How long have you been observing these YouTube file size estimate trends? Is this a new happening or has this situation always existed?

• 8. Re: PE 10 YouTube Upload file sizes
                        Andrew Hall NZ Level 1

I can easily do that as I have a camera that shoots 1920 x 1080 and it is much the same:

For YouTube Presets

Flash Video Widescreen 7.1Mb

PAL 1440 x 1080: 14.1Mb

PAL 1920 x 1080: 3.3 Mb

Cheers, A

• 9. Re: PE 10 YouTube Upload file sizes
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

Referencing your post 8, are those the results from using a 1920 x 1080 source (instead of 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9) and looking at the YouTube estimate for the file size that was about to be processed by Share/Online/YouTube?

If so, let us try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file....

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the folders path cited above. If that does not work, then delete the whole 10.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

I am not sure if an uninstall reinstall is worthwhile. Need to think about that some more - depending on your results with the deletion of the settings file.

More later.

Thanks again for the follow ups.

ATR