9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2016 9:47 AM by BobLevine

How can I install the Amazon Kindle plugin for InDesign in InDesign CC?

daniel923

How can I install the Amazon Kindle plugin for InDesign in InDesign CC? I have it installed in InDesign CS6 and it works fine.

• 1. Re: How can I install the Amazon Kindle plugin for InDesign in InDesign CC?
          Ellis home Level 4

Amazon has not updated the Kindle plugin for Indesign CC.

• 2. Re: How can I install the Amazon Kindle plugin for InDesign in InDesign CC?
            Baylink

This answer is now 2 years old.

Yo, Adobe!

Is this still the case?

When do you propose to fix it?

(Yes: it's broken: when the most popular page layout program can't talk to the most popular ebookstore, that's a Product Line Manager level FAIL. :-)

Note that this opinion still holds even if the plugin was supplied by Amazon, as appears to be the case.  They don't come to you, you go to them.

• 3. Re: How can I install the Amazon Kindle plugin for InDesign in InDesign CC?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'm afraid that's not how it works. Amazon has elected to have a proprietary format for its devices.

Talk to them about it.

• 4. Re: How can I install the Amazon Kindle plugin for InDesign in InDesign CC?
                Derek Cross Level 6

The workflow that most recommend is to create your ePub 3 in InDesign CC2015.4, if necessary fine-tune the CSS, then use the Kindle Previewer Kindle Previewer  to convert to mobi and test on Kindles before uploading.

By the way, this is a user-to-user support forum.

• 5. Re: How can I install the Amazon Kindle plugin for InDesign in InDesign CC?
                  Baylink Level 1

That's a coder answer, Bob.  Not a Product Line Manager answer.

The job of the PLM is to maximize the value of the product in the market to the customers.  A page layout program suitable for books -- which InDesign clearly is -- does not have its maximum value in an environment where the end-reader base is transitioning to ebooks unless that program makes it easy to *produce* such ebooks.

QED, it falls within the scope of responsibility for the InD PLM at Adobe to have the PLM for Kindle at Amazon on his Speed Dial, and take him to lunch at least once a month.

*Those* are the people to whom I'm addressing my comments.  Hopefully someone percolates them upstairs to those worthies.

(I'm not talking out my hat; this is how I've made a living for 3 decades.)

• 6. Re: How can I install the Amazon Kindle plugin for InDesign in InDesign CC?
                    Baylink Level 1

That's effectively what I did, Derek, and the Kindle files that were produced by Previewer were useless on 7 different end-platforms, including the Mac and Android Readers, and a couple pieces of real hardware.

Clearly there are some guidelines which it's necessary to follow to produce a file which can be used in that way, but I haven't been ablt to locate a set yet.

• 7. Re: How can I install the Amazon Kindle plugin for InDesign in InDesign CC?

You are making some serious assumptions. Among them:

Adobe is legally able to write a plugin for a proprietary format

Amazon is willing to give them the information they need

Users will hold Adobe harmless for poor output and changes that Amazon may make (this may be the biggest dealbreaker)

In short, find me any proprietary format that Adobe outputs to that it doesn’t own. It is quite obvious that Amazon sees no need for this and if it was that much of an in demand feature we’d see a lot more yelling and screaming.

To be clear, I’m not saying I don’t see a need or am I in any way invalidating your requirements. But I’ve been around here for a long, long time and I’m just trying to control expectations and trying to point you to the best party to get things done.

• 8. Re: How can I install the Amazon Kindle plugin for InDesign in InDesign CC?
                        Baylink Level 1

BobLevine writes:

> Adobe is legally able to write a plugin for a proprietary format

Note that I wasn't actually saying (or more properly, I corrected myself not to be saying) that *Adobe* should write it.

I gather Amazon actually wrote it, and simply hasn't updated it to CC, to many people's ire.

> Amazon is willing to give them the information they need

Other way around here, but if Adobe is denying Amazon the necessary information, then someone's an idiot.

> Users will hold Adobe harmless for poor output and changes that Amazon may make (this may be the biggest dealbreaker)

This stuff is always an issue.  But that's why I suggest that it's a "vice president" level issue; you get one of each in a room, and they generally carry enough water to make sure the relevant technical issues get deal with.

> In short, find me any proprietary format that Adobe outputs to that it doesn’t own. It is quite obvious that Amazon sees no need for this and if it was that much of an in demand feature we’d see a lot more yelling and screaming.

Hmmm.  Well, PDF, but they do own that.  And of course ePub, but that's not really proprietary this late in the game.

None of those things, of course, as you note, really make it an undesirable solution.

And remember: the number of people still complaining aloud is *much* lower than the number of people who've just given up, and are duplicating their work because they feel they have no other choice.

I'm going to pursue it with the Amazon side of the fence, as has been suggested; we'll see whom I can shake coconuts onto the heads of.  :-)

• 9. Re: How can I install the Amazon Kindle plugin for InDesign in InDesign CC?

PDF is not owned by Adobe. It’s is an open format.

EPUB is also an open format.

Do let us know how you get along with Amazon.