7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2014 9:56 AM by John T Smith

Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro?

ianimcd

Should I use Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro for simply editing together old VHS home movies?  Premiere Pro video used jargon like 'bezier keyframing' that turned off this novice !

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you want to spend less than $100 or about $800 for standalone programs... or pay a monthy fee "forever' for Premiere Pro Cloud?

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

-has links to the FAQ/TIPS pages

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

ianimcd

Premiere Elements is a worthy candidate for your VHS home movies processing and editing. Definitely go the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe before purchase to assure that the program meets your video editing needs and is compatible with your computer environment.

Bezier curves and interpolation methods for keyframing are not the sole property of Premiere Pro. You can find them in Premiere Elements as well to smooth your keyframing effects if you want to use them. "Jargon" can be inhibiting at times. That is why it is so important to ask for clarification on anything that you see written. Often the appropriate explanation can take away the mystic surrounding aspects of these programs that seem overwhelming.

It would be interesting for you to ask the same question in the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum and see what answers you get there.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/

ATR

Add On...Does your computer have a firewire port?

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro?
              ianimcd Level 1

actually I should have said I have both premiere lements and premiere pro .. just trying to decide which one would be more useful.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro?
                ianimcd Level 1

I should have explained I have both premiere elements and premiere pro and I'm trying to decide which would be more useful for me.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ianimcd

Do you have the analog to digital conversion details worked out? Do you have a firewire port for your computer?

Both Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro should be able to do the job for you, and you already have the programs. But let me ask, "What versions of the programs do you have?" Are these old program whose ancient features you are questioning?

Since you wrote

"Premiere Pro video used jargon like 'bezier keyframing' that turned off this novice !

do you mean you have the programs but never used them?

Depending on what versions of the programs that you have, I suspect that Premiere Elements vs Premiere Pro will depend on the extent of the editing that you want to do after you get the footage into the video editing workspace. Premiere Pro may have video editing feature(s) that Premiere Elements does not.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro?
                    Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Download the trial of Premiere Elements. If you like it, purchase it. You can always purchase or rent Premiere Pro if you "outgrow" Elements.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro?
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>have both premiere elements and premiere pro and I'm trying to decide which would be more useful for me

I don't think anyone here can tell you which program to use... since what you want to do is based on YOUR needs and comfort level