4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2014 7:54 AM by A.T. Romano

Question about putting video clips together

monkmara

I am trying to put clips together in Premier Elements 12 using Windows 7 Professional. I keep getting an error message: "This thype of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed."

I admit that the clips are mostly jpeg and Flip video. I have installed the Flipshare software on the computer. What can I do to put these clips together? I saw an answer that mentioned exporting the BBB.prel Timeline to an appropriate file saved to  the computer hard drive and then import that file into AAA.prel, using  AAA.prel's Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets from where you drag  the import to the Expert workspace Timeline to join the AAA.prel  content already there.

But I don't know how to export, and what is an "appropriate file"?

Thanks.

Message was edited by: monkmara

• 1. Re: Question about putting video clips together
          A.T. Romano Level 7

monkmara

We need more information in order to resolve your issue.

Are you saying that you cannot import even .jpeg photos into your Premiere Elements 12 Windows project...and your Flip video as well?

a. Were these jpeg processed in Photoshop? Do you know if they have the CMYK color profile? What are their pixel dimensions (width and height in pixels)?

b. What is the brand/model/settings of the camera producing the Flip video?

With the above information we can get at the media and program compatibility issue(s) that might be triggering the message "This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed."

You say that you have installed "Flipshare software" to your computer. What do you intend to do with it? If you are thinking to use it to convert the problem files into another format that Premiere Elements will accept, we still need to know the properties of what you are working with and set Premiere Elements accordingly.

The concept of using content from one Premiere Elements project file into another Premiere Elements project file does not apply to the situation that you describe for your issue.

You need to describe what you have for media and then we can proceed from there.

The brand/model/settings for the camera that produced the Flip video is a good start.

MediaInfo and gspot are programs to get at the properties of your video. But the brand/model/settings information may be all that we need.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Question about putting video clips together
            monkmara Level 1

Hi ATR,

Sorry to be so long getting back but am new to forum and didn't see your answer until just now. I don't think I was clear describing my problem.

I have made clips which are files in Premier Elements 12 on Windows 7 Professional. They are mostly jpegs and some video I imported from my Flip Mino HD. The video clips all seem to work well and I have transitions, titles and audio tracks. These files are .prel files.

So next I thought I could put several of these .prel clips together to form one longer clip which I could then burn onto a dvd to show at an upcoming celebration. But that is not working and I'm trying to figure out how to get this done - somehow. When I try and drag or cut and paste one file to another I get the error message I mention above.

I installed Flip Share on the computer because I read somewhere that perhaps the missing codec was in Flip Share and installing on the computer might solve my problem. Not yet.

Thank you,

Monk

• 3. Re: Question about putting video clips together
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The PREL (Project) files cannot be directly combined.

One has a couple of choices for such combinations:

Output the Timeline from each Project to an AV file (called a DI, or Digital Intermediate), and then Import those into a new "master" Project.

Install and use a Clipboard Extender, like ClipMate, to Copy/Paste the material from one Project, into another.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Question about putting video clips together
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Monk

Thank you for the clarification for the question that you asked and the details that you gave. In reply to what was original written, I wrote

The concept of using content from one Premiere Elements project file into another Premiere Elements project file does not apply to the situation that you describe for your issue.

Based on your recent clarification, that concept does indeed apply.

As you probably have found out, you cannot import one Premiere Elements project (project.prel file) into another. But, you can get the contents of one project (project.prel) to another in either of two ways:

a. In the first project, export the Timeline to a file whose properties are going to be consistent with the project settings of the second project. If SD projects involved, the export choice to use for the first project might be DV AVI standard or widescreen. If HD projects involved, the export choice might be one of the .m2t or .mp4 exports (That type of information can be fine tuned with specifics from you.)

b. You can do a copy/paste insert between two projects when you use ClipMate (Windows Only 3rd party product) in conjunction with Premiere Elements. I have given the how to for that in great detail.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-clipmate-copypaste-between-pe.html

Please review and consider. Please do not hesitate to ask questions or to ask for clarification.

Thanks.

ATR