4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2014 6:10 AM by GSpeak

InDesign CS5 won't save rotated views as PDF

GSpeak Level 1

I'm using InDesign CS5 to create a calendar. I am using rotated view for the spreads. I have page 4-27 I want to send to my client for proofing. I only want the "smallest File" for screen viewing ioption. I've never had a problem creating PDFs. This is the first time using viewer spreads rotated. Wondering if this is creating the problem.

The background task panel has been stuck at 42% for over an hour. InD won't let me quit the save. It won't allow me to close the project window, or Force quit the program.

Assistance needed!!!

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 won't save rotated views as PDF
          tman69 Level 3

just in case you don't know--using 'rotated' view will NOT rotate the page when you export a PDF--it's a useful function for designing/aligning/positioning, etc-- so you don't have to try to position things upside down--if you want the pages to be actually rotated, you'll need to either physically rotate the content or open the exported PDF in Acrobat and rotate the pages there.

that said--as to why your PDF export is hanging is hard to determine--to troubleshoot--try exporting each page separately until you find the one that's hanging the app--that will narrow down the problem (which could be a corrupt image, a bad font, or similar)

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 won't save rotated views as PDF
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Faster than doing it one page at a time is to try one HALF of the pages at a time, then divide each failed half and try again, until you isolate a problem page, then continue the testing by moving half the objects to the pasteboard.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 won't save rotated views as PDF
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It's also worth trying the export as the first thing after a bootup and restarting ID, before you do any other tasks that would require memory.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 won't save rotated views as PDF
                GSpeak Level 1

Thank you for your reply. I did know about the rotated view not transating in the PDF. I was wondering though if it affected the speed of the PDF creating...undoing the rotation.

I was under a time crunch to send off a proof, so after finally force quitting ID, I saved each spread as a separate PDF and then compiled them into a multi-page PDF. It all went without a hiccup. Possibly if I had restarted my computer, opened ID and prepared the multi-pg PDF at that point, as suggested below, then it may have worked. I will be trying that at some point as I will have more comps to prepare as the project proceeds.

Thank you.