2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2014 11:30 AM by Twirlip of the Mists

Cannot install Digital Editions 3.0 on Win XP Professional

Twirlip of the Mists

I have already installed Adobe Digital Editions 3.0 on my Acer Aspire One netbook (with Windows XP Home), and used it to read an e-book. But when I ran the same installer program on my desktop computer (with Windows XP Professional), although it appeared to complete the installation, every time I try to run the program, all that happens is that I get a message saying that it "has encountered a problem and needs to close", and then some error data gets set to Microsoft.

This is the first time that any program has failed to install correctly on this system (except for one that I tried to install into the same location where it was already installed under Windows 98SE - it wasn't too surprising that that installation failed).

This computer, although old (I built it in 2003), has more RAM (768MB) and a faster CPU (AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 1.47GHz) than the netbook ... oh, hang on, I've just checked, and found that the netbook has 1GB RAM (I could have sworn it was only half that), and a faster processor, too (Intel Atom processor N270, 1.60GHz).

So, is that likely to be the problem - lack of hardware resources? (More likely lack of RAM than a too slow CPU.) I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but I just foolishly took it for granted that anything that would run easily on my tiny little netbook would also run on this hulking great desktop machine!

• 1. Re: Cannot install Digital Editions 3.0 on Win XP Professional
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

System requirements

Windows

• Intel® Pentium® 4 processor or later
          • Windows® XP SP 3 or Windows® 7 (32 or 64 bit running in 32-bit mode)
          • 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
          • 40MB of available hard-disk space

• 2. Re: Cannot install Digital Editions 3.0 on Win XP Professional
            Twirlip of the Mists Level 1

Thank you for that information.

It would seem that the program ought to run OK. (I do have SP3 installed, along with all high priority updates. Also, there's more than 20GB still free on the NTFS partition in which WinXP is running, and in which ADE 3.0 was installed.)

I happened to try running the program again, in the limited (non-admin) account in which I normally work. I didn't expect it to work at all, but it actually got as far as authorising the program on this computer to work with e-books associated with my Adobe ID.

However, when I tried to add my (one and only!) e-book to the library on this machine (or rather, the library belonging to that particular XP user account), it 'blew up' again, in the same way as before.

Still flummoxed, I failed to note any technical details.

I immediately switched into the admin account, and ran the program again. It 'blew up' almost immediately, just like before.

Perhaps that's because it already has a book in the library associated with this XP admin account, viz. the introductory guide to ADE 3.0?

This time, I noted some details from the Microsoft error report:

EventType: clr20r3

P1: digitaleditions.exe

P2: 3.0.0.0

P3: 52b0ff73

P4: presentationcore

P5: 3.0.0.0

P6: 5176212e

P7: 1710

P8: dd

P9: system.argumentoutofrange

I hope that means something to somebody! (The last part of it seems particularly suggestive, but of what exactly, I cannot say.)

I searched to see if Adobe have a system for reporting bugs, but the drop-down menu in the Web form I found didn't have an entry for Adobe Digital Editions (3.0, or any other version), so I gave up.