5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2014 8:44 AM by JJMack

3D render settings doesn't exist?

owanomono

Hi,

the 3D function in PS is insanely clunky. Where in the world do you set things like anti-aliasing quality and mesh density? My Earth sphere looks like it has bumps in it. The documentation doesn't give you a clue since it's for the earlier PS release. Great work, Adobe!

I found this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1075991

But the answer is given in Dutch for some reason and the thread is hijacked for another topic. Please help. :-)

Regards

Johan

• 1. Re: 3D render settings doesn't exist?
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will find some of the settings in the preferences. However, I do not think there is anyway to apply smoothing to the polygons. If the quality of the mesh looks horrible, it could be the document is set to low for pixel dimentions.

• 2. Re: 3D render settings doesn't exist?
            owanomono Level 1

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. So there is no possibilty to set an anti aliasing level? That would pretty much render (doh!) the whole 3D function in PS useless. Or which preferences are you talking about. The 3D controls are pretty much scattered over the whole application so it's hard to know which one you are referencing.

So the mesh quality is dependent on how high the dpi is set for the actual document? A really weird solution if this is so. What is the recommended resolution to obtain smooth rounded objects? 300dpi? 600?

Since there seems to be no documentation covering this I have to no choice but to use a real 3D program. Pity, it would have been cool to be able to create 3D in PS.

I'm on PS CS6 btw.

Regards

Johan

• 3. Re: 3D render settings doesn't exist?
              Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For now it looks like the only type of blur is depth of field, which really isn't what you need.

As for modeling objects, the general rule is always use pixel dimentions and never use physical dimentions and ppi. The higher the pixel dimentions the better the quality. Most 3d apps (not all) don't even have a way to set physical dimentions or the ppi. Its kind of backwards thinking if you come from an illustrator background, but I think most modelers design for the screen rather than print, which may be where that came from. But with the 3d printers on the market, I am sure thats changing.

If you have any real work for 3d I recommend using a true 3d app anyway, you won't get over how much faster the rendering will be. Right now photoshop is in dead last for speed. With lacking features, its not much of a thought to include a better renderer and modeler.

Try Blender its free.

• 4. Re: 3D render settings doesn't exist?
                owanomono Level 1

Hi,

thanks for your input. I hoped that PS would have matured so you at least could make an Earth sphere. But I guess I have to wait a little more. I jumped over to modo instead and fixed it.

Regards

Johan

• 5. Re: 3D render settings doesn't exist?
                  JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Does not the Earth have mountains and valleys.  It you extracted its core with Photoshop 3D its skin would still be pot marked. and wobble all over the place!

[ JJMack ]