34 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 10:38 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

John Georg Reimertz

How do I adjust audio volume on imported music to the soundtrack

• 1. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Georg Reimertz

You do not give the important information regard the version of Premiere Elements that you are using (what computer operating system).

With that detail, we can customize the answer(s) that you need.

Right now, I am going to take a guess that you are using Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

1. In the Expert workspace, select/highlight your soundtrack music on the Soundtrack, and then go to Applied Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded.

or

2. In the Expert workspace, select/highlight your soundtrack music on the Soundtrack, open the Audio Mixer (Tools Menu/Audio Mixer) and adjust the Soundtrack volume with the Soundtrack slider.

or

3. In the Expert workspace, at the Timeline level, drag up or down on the orange line (rubberband) that run horizontally inside the soundtrack music

Are you OK with information about opening the Soundtrack and setting the Audio Track Display Style?

Opening Soundtrack, see triangle to far left of the name Soundtrack.

Audio Track Display Style, toggle the speaker icon to the left of name Soundtrack.

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
            John Georg Reimertz Level 1

Dear friend,

Thanks for answering my question.  I’m sorry for not informing about my system. Have a Dell Inspiron computer using win 7- 64 bit. Just purchased Adobe premiere Elements 12.- downloaded latest update.

Tried your advice, and it works for me. Thanks a lot.  Has someone made an instruction book for “Elements 12” ?

Have a very nice day.

Best regards

John R.

• 3. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
              A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

Thanks for the good news of success.

Please check out

Premiere Elements 12 Help PDF

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

Elements Organizer 12 Help PDF

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

You can just read them, save them to your computer hard drive, or print them. However, lots and lots of pages to print.

These are free resources and good to check first before considering investing in purchases of resources.

Remember, we are always glad for the opportunity to answer questions or clarify whatever is written so that you can move forward

with your Premiere Elements projects.

Best wishes,

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

Dear Friend,

Thanks for email. I am uncertain on how to check out.

Best regards

John R.

• 5. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                  nealeh Level 5

ATR is using 'check out' colloquially as in 'take a look at these'.

Just click the links and they should open in your PDF reader application (most computers have one installed as standard, else they will open in the browser).

Alternatively you can right-click the links and save the file to your computer for offline reading.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 6. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

Thanks for the reply.

The Premiere Elements Help PDF is an excellent organized source of program information.

So in response to your question

Has someone made an instruction book for “Elements 12” ?

I wrote

Please check out

Premiere Elements 12 Help PDF

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

Elements Organizer 12 Help PDF

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

You can just read them, save them to your computer hard drive, or print them. However, lots and lots of pages to print.

These are free resources and good to check first before considering investing in purchases of resources.

"Check out" was my request for you to review and consider the content of the Help PDFs for Premiere Elements 12 and Elements Organizer 12. You can browse through the PDF to see what is there or just go to a topic of interest that Adobe is describing.

When you go to the second icon in at the top left of the page (icon named Show Document Outline) and click on it, you can see the PDF outline of topics as shown in the screenshot below.

PDF.JPG

Do you have the Adobe Reader installed on your computer

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

Please let me know if you are OK with the above information. If not, please let me know what supplemental information you would like me to include.

Thanks

ATR

• 7. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

Dear Romano,

Today I have another question. Wanted to add an audio file from a CD. Is that possible- if so how ?

Have tried, but with no luck.

Best regards

John R.

• 8. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

Typically the audio CD has a .cda file that needs to be ripped from the CD and converted to .mp3 or .wav file. That can be done easily in iTunes.

For your unprotected audio file on CD, you do the following

Open iTunes

Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and, in the General Section, click on the Import Settings button to bring up the Import Settings dialog.

In the Import Settings dialog, go to "Import Using:" and set that to either "MP3 Encoder" or "WAV Encoder". Let us say we select "MP3 Encoder". Close out of that area.

Insert you CD in the burner tray with iTunes opened. The program should go to the "Audio CD" workspace (see top left of workspace). You should see you file listed there. Right click the file, and select Create MP3 Version.

Go to the top left of the workspace and change from "Audio CD" to "Music".

iTunes.jpg

You should see your file in "Music". It should now be .mp3. Right click the file, select copy, and then paste the file to the computer desktop (if you want). From there it can be imported into Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets - to one of the audio tracks.

Please let us know if that worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

Dear Friends,

Thanks for answering. Very impressed with the fast answering. After having downloaded  I-Tunes-, converted the

music file on the CD to MP-3 as you told me- imported the file to my video and it works great. Your help is much appreciated.

The task that I’am currently trying to achive is to make video from old “analog” video. These analog videos has been converted to digital video by a professional video shop. But—the audio has a disturbing noise added. It sounds like a hum from equipment not grounded properly. The level is quite high- sometimes at the same level as the speech from people. Have discussed the problem with the company, but they have no solution. I also wander if the problem  is wrong tracking. The camera from which these films were made has not been in use for 25 years and is of no use now anymore. Any tip ??

Best regards, and have a nice day.

John R.

• 10. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

Thanks for the follow up with the good news that the suggestion worked for you.

Premiere Elements has Audio Effects that can be applied to the clip to try to reduce the audio noise, some are New Blue Hum Remover, New Blue Cleaner, New Blue Noise Reducer. No guarantee that they will help with your particular audio noise, but you could try.

See Audio Effects in the following Adobe document Premiere Elements Effects Reference

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS4B8135DA-083C-42eb-B09E-65070ECBC889. html#WSF8CBE888-6702-4f8b-A85E-71B4B1531883

You could also review the free Audacity to determine if its Effects will reduce that audio noise.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Here is one application of the idea

http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=292

Please let us know if any of the above worked for you to reduce the audio noise.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

Dear friend,

Thanks for answering. I shall investigate your suggestions. Thanks

Best regards

John R.

• 12. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

Dear Romano,

Regarding my videofilms including a bad noicelevel – the Adobe effects as you referred to did not help.

But,- got hold of a program-“ iZotope music and speech cleaner”. This program removed the noiceproblem and created a WAV file that was possible to import to the video.

(Had to remove the original audio first.)

Best regards

John R.

• 13. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

Thanks for that great news about resolving your audio noises issue. You did a great job of identifying the program that took care of the issue. That is not an easy job.

Your follow up was appreciated by all who will benefit from your results if and when they find themselves in the same situation that you were in.

Thank you again.

ATR

• 14. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

Dear friends,

This time I wander how to add several clips to end up with one complete video. Starting out with the first clip- trying to add the next, but when trying to move the clip I get a “unlawful sign” – circle with a line through. Do you have a tip for me ?

John R.

• 15. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

John R.

If we have not mentioned it before in your exchange of posts....when you are adding files to an existing Timeline, hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you drag the file to the Timeline and its place in it. (Some people like to use the Ctrl key for this, but I prefer the Ctrl key.)

As for....

Starting out with the first clip- trying to add the next, but when trying to move the clip I get a “unlawful sign” – circle with a line through.

Keep going downward a bit with the mouse cursor in the clip drag process. You have not dragged the clip far enough into place or near the spot you want.

You are probably starting out with the mouse cursor tip with two vertical bars with an arrow pointing right between the two bars. When you are dragging downward to the Timeline and if you have not gone far enough down, the two bars with arrow can change to a circle with a slash through it. If you drag the clip down a bit further, that circle with slash should turn back into the two bars with arrow.

Please let me know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

Dear Romano,

Thanks for answering. Sorry, but your answer did not help any.  The first clip is Ok. To prepare for the next clip I move the vertical cursor to the end of the clip. From “Project Open” or “Open Recent Project” where the clips are stored, try to move the next clip to the end of the 1st clip holding the “ alt” key. The clip turns into a warning and is not possible to place on the timeline. What am I doing wrong ? Also tried to place clip No 2 on “Project Assets” with no luck.

I have not rendered the separate videoclips, as I want to do rendering with the 3 clips in one videofile.

Best regards

John R.

• 17. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

John R.

Let us see if we can work this out...

a. I follow you to where you say that you move the Timeline Indicator (red stem with blue head) to the end of the lst clip next to which you want to place the next clip.

b. Now here is the critical point in what you wrote

From “Project Open” or “Open Recent Project” where the clips are stored, try to move the next clip to the end of the 1st clip holding the “ alt” key.

The clips are not stored in Project Open and Open Recent Project. The video as project media that you want in the project is imported into the project with Add Media/ followed by your choice, for example Files and Folders. Once you select your files to be imported, they go into Project Assets of the project. That is where you drag your video from to the Timeline (next to the 1st clip).

ProjectAssets.JPG

Are you doing that?

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

Dear Romano,

Thanks for answering. Your answer only gets me halfway- I loose all audio.

Here is what I have done.

Because of heavy humming noise-

1.       have deleted existing audio from original video.

2.       Have washed the troubled audio clip ( got a Wav file without noise) and added this new file to the video clip on the timeline.

3.       Made a “ Link audio and Video” command. ( to sync the video and audio files)

4.       Got a file with extension (.prel), but impossible to link the other two videofiles.

Now, rendered ( separately) all three files to be linked together.

When going to “ Add Media- files, only files of type (.prv) is available.

These files will follow with the “alt key” to the timeline, but with no audio.

Any tip on what I am doing wrong ?

Best regards

John R.

• 19. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

I am with you up to about 2 of your last post.

After you have washed the troubled audio and exported that edited audio from the audio editor to your computer hard drive, you would import that wav file back into the same Premiere Elements project that you have been working in....the one that has video, no audio, and is waiting for the return of the edited audio. You use that project's Add Media/Files and Folders to bring the wav file into Project Assets and from there you drag it to the Timeline and place it under the video with which it is associated. You apply the LInk Audio and Vido command to the video and audio clips.

But what happened between 3 and 4.

You have only one project. And, that project has the video and good audio in this one project. And, the project file is a prel type file.

So where is "...but impossible to link the other two videofiles" coming from. What are these "other two video files".

If "other two video files" are referring to other projects (each which would be a prel type file), you cannot import one prel file into another. You would have to export the content of one prel file and then import that export into the other prel file.

Please clarify. And, then we can look again to determine where we are differing.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I suspect (not sure) that you are looking in the wrong places for your media. It should be Add Media/ and one of those choices and not Open Project or New Project, unless you are involved in combining the contents of different projects (.project files). You should not be involved with .prv files.

• 20. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

Dear Romano,

Thanks for answer. Still very uncertain on how to solve this issue.

Each “analog videofilm” was converted into different digital clips by the external company. As example, analog video no 1 has  been converted into 3 clips digital video with humming audio. ( Have a total of 18 analog videofilms converted into digital video ( several clips each one) but with bad audio) Each of the clips had to have the audio removed and replaced with “Wav files”. I number and edit the new digital  files 1A, 1B and 1C- they are saved and comes out as separate projects and as .prel files.

I want the 3 clips to become 1 – linking them together again as it was as the original “analog video”. The company that made the A/D conversion made cuts random in the video- possibly because of storage problems on his system. I purchased a 500 Gb drive for storing the digital video the company made.

Best regards

John R.

• 21. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

I suspect that matter is complicated by the fact that you have files in different project (project.prel file), and Premiere Elements does not permit you to import one project file into another.

There are several ways to solve this (if I am understanding the situation)

1. Import each of the original files with the bad audio into the same project. Right click each and select Delete Audio. Then after you have cleaned the audio clips, import the cleaned audio into this same project using Add Media/Files and Folder/ to get them into Project Assets from where you drag them to the Timeline to place them with the right video and command Link Audio and Video.

2. The way it is now, you seem to have files in different projects (project files prel). In that case, you would need to export each of the Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive and then import all of them into one grand project to come together.

Please review the above and then let me know if we are getting closer to targeting and solving the matter.

Thanks.

ATR

• 22. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

Dear Romano,

Have tried your first suggestion- and it seems to work for me. Have to go into this within the next hrs.

Thank you so much- much appreciated.

Have a very nice day and a wonderful weekend- wherever you are.

Best regards

John R.

• 23. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

Sounded great. Thank you for staying the with suggestions. Great job.

Hope all is going well for you and that the weather is co-operating for many great photo and video opportunities as well as for just recreation.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 24. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

Dear Romano,

Getting rid of bad humming from the audio, I separated the audio from the Video and washed the audio with a program. But when adding the audio back into the Video and running the link command it will not be properly in sync. Do you have any tip on how to sync audio to the Video.

Best regards

John R.

• 25. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

Before you Group the clips

a. select/highlight the audio clip

b. As you hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, tap the right or left arrow key. One tap = 1 frame move per tap. You can also hold down the Shift+Alt keys of the main keyboard and tap the right or left arrow key. Then, one tap = 5 frames move per tap.

c. You can leave things as is or you can use the Clip Menu/Group command to keep the video and audio together.

(do not use the Clip Menu/Link Audio and Video at this point, instead use Clip Menu/Group as cited above).

Please give that a try and let us know if that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 26. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

Before you Group the clips

b. As you hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, tap the right or left arrow key. One tap = 1 frame move per tap. You can also hold down the Shift+Alt keys of the main keyboard and tap the right or left arrow key. Then, one tap = 5 frames move per tap.

c. You can leave things as is or you can use the Clip Menu/Group command to keep the video and audio together.

(do not use the Clip Menu/Link Audio and Video at this point, instead use Clip Menu/Group as cited above).

Thanks.

ATR

• 27. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

Before you Group the clips....

b. As you hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, tap the right or left arrow key. One tap = 1 frame move per tap. You can also hold down the Shift + Alt keys of the computer main keyboard and tap the right or left arrow key. Then, one tap = 5 frames move per tap.

(Do not use the Clip Menu/Link Audio and Video at this point. Instead use Clip Menu/Group as cited above.)

Thank you.

ATR

• 28. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

Before you Group the clips....

b. As you hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, tap the right or left arrow key. One tap = 1 frame move per tap. You can also hold down the Shift + Alt keys of the computer main keyboard and tap the right or left arrow key. Then, one tap = 5 frames move per tap.

(Do not use the Clip Menu/Link Audio and Video at this point. Instead use Clip Menu/Group as cited above.)

Thank you.

ATR

• 29. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

Dear Romano,

Thanks for the answer. Have tested a V/A file, and your instructions works for me. Have to do several trials to get used to correcting right.

Have a very nice day.

John R.

• 30. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

Great news.

Always appreciate your follow up.

Sounds like great progress there.

Best wishes

ATR

• 31. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

Dear Romano,

Have to ask again.

After having added the washed audio to the video- adjusted the audio to sync the video- and then edited the V/A .

I wanted to make a “grouping” and then a “render” prior to burning Cd.  But , found it difficult to make a “grouping” as now the V/A consisted of a large number of cuts- and it was difficult to know that every cut had been marked. Total length of V/A is almost 45 min. Number of cuts 40-50 – sometimes only 

2 frames.  It was not possible to “render” the V/A- but was allowed to burn a CD.

What have I missed not capable of “Grouping or Rendering”, only  “save” ?

Best regards

John R.

• 32. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

Given that you have the Premiere Elements 12 Windows Expert workspace Timeline expanded.

If you are finished with the edits and everything on the Timeline is where you want it, why not Edit Menu/Select All, and then Clip Menu/Group. Then everything in the Timeline is one Group, nothing should escape. (You do not have to Group to export.)

Now as for Timeline Render of that Group. If the clips before the Group command had a green line over their content, the Group command is not going to turn the green line to orange indicating the need for Rendering. You already have the best possible preview as long as there is a green line (or no colored line) over the Timeline content.

As long as you have a green or no colored line over the Timeline content it is not possible to render the Timeline content. The purpose of Timeline rendering is to get the best possible preview, and the program's indicator system is telling you that you already have the best possible preview.

Now, for some reason, if you do not want to Group the whole Timeline, then you are going to have to select all the clips going into a particular Group.

a. for selection of a bunch of clips, you can use the mouse cursor to draw a rectangle around clips that are next to each other and that you want

or

b. you can still use the mouse cursor to do a drawn rectangle selection technique if you want a bunch of clips near each other clip and you have another bunch a distance away that you want....draw the rectangle for the first bunch and then hold down the Shift key as you draw the second rectangle around the more distance bunch. After Group, those two bunches will move as one. So, just make sure you want to do that.

Please consider and fill in where I could be misinterpreting any of your details. I am particularly interested in the details surrounding the cannot Timeline Render part. As you found out, you can still move forward in the project to export, even if you do not Timeline Render. That Timeline Render is a preview matter, a window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later.

We will be watching for your comments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 33. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music

Dear friends,

Thanks for answering- very helpful.

The color of the horizontal line on my machine is not green or orange but more like yellow.

Have a happy Easter

Best regards

John R.

• 34. Re: How do I adjust audio volum on imported music
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

John R

Thanks for good news.

It was much easier when Adobe went with the red line as the indicator for Timeline rendering. That line that is used now is sometimes called orange, sometimes called yellow. On my computer monitor, it more yellowish orange.

RenderLine.JPG

Thank you for the Easter greetings. Hope you have a wonderful Easter.

Best wishes

ATR