5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2014 2:29 PM by Obi-wan Kenobi

InDesign CS6 Cross references

Deejay99

I need to place a non-breaking space between the word Figure and the number x, so they do not end up on two separate lines at the edge of a fully justified column, but I cannot construct the right code to apply in the <paraNum/> “building block”. Normally, I would use ctrl-alt-x in running text, but in the cross reference function, even using the special character feature, I am unable to find the correct solution. I'm sure it has something to do with delimiters and true or false, but how do I define this? Can anyone help, please?

• 1. Re: InDesign CS6 Cross references
          Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

If I understand well, you have a figure with a legend, eg, "Figure 1" and you want insert somewhere a cross reference (= Figure 1) with here a non-breaking space.

Am I right?

• 2. Re: InDesign CS6 Cross references

So …

Capture d’écran 2014-03-30 à 19.36.52.png

Capture d’écran 2014-03-30 à 19.37.02.png

Capture d’écran 2014-03-30 à 19.37.55.png

Capture d’écran 2014-03-30 à 19.38.24.png

• 3. Re: InDesign CS6 Cross references
              Deejay99 Level 1

Thank you, or should I say, Merci. Your last screenshot certainly gives the effect that I'm looking for. This does give some food-for-thought, and I will try this out...

• 4. Re: InDesign CS6 Cross references
                Deejay99 Level 1

Hello Obi-wan:

In attempting to fit your suggestion in with our existing set-up, I encountered a problem, whereby the cross reference in the body text shows Figure Figure x, but indeed, between the first word "Figure" and the second one, there is a non-breaking space. So, it looked promising! It may help to know that in the paragraph style where the notation for the Figures is listed, under Bullets and Numbering, we show the word "Figure", followed by a space, a hyphen and another space. This effectively creates the Style beneath each of the numbered Figures in the document. Here we're not concerned with non-breaking spaces, since this is centered across the column below the image. This, then is why the cross reference is picking up the two instances of the word Figure, since it also exists in the NoBreak building block definition (Figure^S<paraNum/>), as you had shown.

However, in taking part of your suggestion regarding the creation of a NonBreak character style, which is something that we don't regularly use, I was able to apply that style to those instances in the document where Figure and x ended up on two lines, and they rearranged themselves on the same line.

Perhaps there is a more elegant way of doing this, but for the number of times that this occurs in a document (twice in a recent 30-page document), this method works for me...

Merci, encore.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS6 Cross references

Hi,

In fact, the cross-ref. code definition depends on the para content and its para style definition. If you want to add the word "figure", you need to add it somewhere. Maybe in the CR code définition (as I did) if not included within the para text or, if already included: in the auto-numbering, no need, use: <paraNum />, or in the para text (no auto-numbering), no need too, use: <fullPara /> or <paraText />.