8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2014 2:20 PM by A.T. Romano

Does combining 1080p mp4 videos result in a loss of quality?

zBernie Level 1

If I combine several .mp4 1080p videos (Taken with my Canon SX280), would the resulting video be of lower quality?   Or rather, is there a lossless way of combining these .mp4 videos?

-Thanks

• 1. Re: Does combining 1080p mp4 videos result in a loss of quality?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>resulting video be of lower quality?

What is your intended video... a DVD or a BluRay or ???

• 2. Re: Does combining 1080p mp4 videos result in a loss of quality?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

zBernie

There should not be. Each should have its unique quality whether 1 or more than 1 on the same Timeline.

But, lots of questions to avoid generalizations.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is the project preset that you or the project has set (See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General to see what the set is if you do not know.)

Based on Canon SX280, you should have AVCHD.mp4 1920 x 1080 @ 60 or 30 progressive frames per second (which is it?)

Is your project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 or DSLR 1080p30@29.97

or

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

What is your intended export? Have you gotten to that yet?

Also, what is the Bitrate of your source AVCHD.mp4 from the Canon SX280?

We will be watching for more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Does combining 1080p mp4 videos result in a loss of quality?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

zBernie

Just a clarifiation, I started my reply addressing "quality" as seen in the Edit area monitor when you were looking at the best possible preview (rendered Timeline).

At the end of the reply, I moved on to the export quality in my line of questions.

We can customize the export to an AVCHD.mp4 to be as close as possible to the original and that should be very good, but with more details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Does combining 1080p mp4 videos result in a loss of quality?
                zBernie Level 1

Neither DVD or Blueray.  I just load the videos into my Plex library to watch them, and from there transcode/downloade to mobile devices sometimes.

• 5. Re: Does combining 1080p mp4 videos result in a loss of quality?
                  zBernie Level 1

A.T. Romano wrote:

zBernie

There should not be. Each should have its unique quality whether 1 or more than 1 on the same Timeline.

But, lots of questions to avoid generalizations.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

A. Premiere Elements 12

What is the project preset that you or the project has set (See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General to see what the set is if you do not know.)

A. HD 1080i, 29.97 frames/sec.

Based on Canon SX280, you should have AVCHD.mp4 1920 x 1080 @ 60 or 30 progressive frames per second (which is it?)

Is your project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 or DSLR 1080p30@29.97

or

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

According to ffprobe.  However, it just occurred to me that if I combine videos, I would lose important metadata, namely, the creation_time.  So now I'm not sure I want to combine the videos.

creation_time   : 2014-03-24 14:10:32

Duration: 00:00:47.65, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 24044 kb/s

Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 1920x1080, 23900 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 30k tbn, 60k tbc

What is your intended export? Have you gotten to that yet?

Also, what is the Bitrate of your source AVCHD.mp4 from the Canon SX280?

We will be watching for more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Does combining 1080p mp4 videos result in a loss of quality?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

zBernie

I am not sure we are completely in sync on this yet. Let us see.

I am understanding that you are importing several .mp4 files with the properties which I have described based on the camera source that you named and other details that you did include.

The Premiere Elements Timeline needs to be exported to get those imports out of the program for inclusion in your video library.

But the export is one file with combined streams and different metadata than the individual files that were imported.

Premiere Elements offers export choices to come very close to the overall properties of the originals. Export settings can further be fine tuned under the Advanced Button of the preset selected.

If you are trying to match up to your import for this export file heading for your video library

If 1920 x 1080p60 source

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30

Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, you change the export settings to be 59.94 progressive frames per second along with the other values that you see in the screenshot below:

SettingsToday.JPG

If the bitrate of the original file was greater than the bitrates shown, then you can decide higher bitrates if file size is not an issue.

Please consider.

ATR

• 7. Re: Does combining 1080p mp4 videos result in a loss of quality?
                      zBernie Level 1

You answered my original question regarding quality loss when combining .mp4 files.  But as I said, I'm not willing to lose the metadata, especially the creation_date, so I'll probably just keep my .mp4 files separate.

• 8. Re: Does combining 1080p mp4 videos result in a loss of quality?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

zBernie

Thanks for the reply with the follow up information.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects.

Do not hesitate if you have questions or need clarification on anything written here.

Thanks again.

ATR