5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2014 2:25 PM by Roger Breton

About Masters

Roger Breton Level 1

I would like to know why the Master "None" cannot override the "Base" Master created at the time of a new document.

You see, every new InDesign document gets two masters, None and the "A-Master".

Suppose further that Margins were defined with some positive values, like 0.50 inch.

Suppose I would like Page 1 to be the Cover of my publication. But I don't want Page 1 to show any margins.

So, I reason, naively perhaps, that assigning the master None to page 1 would rid it of its margins, but no?

Why?

• 1. Re: About Masters
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

I tried here and get same thing. How a bout to create a new master with margins set to zero, and apply to the cover page.

• 2. Re: About Masters
            Roger Breton Level 1

Yes, Salah, that is exactly the only solution. I guess, the "None" master *does* inherit the margins and column definitions from the New Document dialog.

So many things to learn and understand!

Thank you / Roger

• 3. Re: About Masters
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The None master is not actually a master page. It is *no* master page. So I wouldn't say that inherits margins definitions from the Document dialog, because there's nothing there to inherit. Applying None simply means removing all master pages from a given document page.

Just a semantic issue, I suppose (though it's useful especially if you ever need to script InDesign), but perhaps it makes it a little more intuitive to understand why it doesn't apply 0 margins to a page.

• 4. Re: About Masters
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

As the names says, none is not a Master, only Master A is a master. If you want to change margins you have to do it on the page or on the master which is the basic of the pages.

• 5. Re: About Masters
                  Roger Breton Level 1

I hear you guys. Why did I have this idea that setting a document to Master page = None would void it of *any* page formatting attribute?
                  I guess out of simplicity.

Thank's for your patience and help.

/ Roger