4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2014 1:58 AM by [Ariel] RSS

Problem with setting InDesign CC as default

jjjgriff

Why can't I set InDesign CC as default to open my Indd files? My only choice is Acrobat.

• 1. Re: Problem with setting InDesign CC as default
          BobLevine CommunityMVP

I don't know but with CC it's so easy to uninstall/reinstall that it's

probably the best advice I can give you.

• 2. Re: Problem with setting InDesign CC as default
            Monica Singh Adobe Employee

if you are on windows, try setting on system the default application setting to InDesign CC

• 3. Re: Problem with setting InDesign CC as default
              Dov Isaacs Employee Hosts

FWIW, simply setting the default application for .indd files doesn't do what you think it might.

InDesign installs registry entries and a “shell extension” that controls both the icon display for InDesign files (the correct icon for the particular InDesign version) and the program to execute.

Setting for InDesign 9.0.2 (CC) on my Windows system in registry as viewed with regedit:

InDesign Reg Entry.png

If you have multiple versions of InDesign installed, only the last version's registry entry survives. If you uninstall any one of the multiple versions, the registry entry is lost and you get the situtation which you describe. Thus, if you uninstall a version of InDesign, you really need to reinstall the version that you want to survive in order to make sure the InDesign registry entries are restored and kosher.

Bottom line is that InDesign really isn't fully setup to support multiple versions installed in parallel under Windows with integration with Windows Explorer.

- Dov

• 4. Re: Problem with setting InDesign CC as default
                [Ariel] Community Member

You may be able to get some joy by using Rorohiko's Soxy program. It lets you control exactly what gets opened when you double click various InDesign files, and the files of other software.

Search for "rorohiko soxy".