9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2014 9:44 PM by A.T. Romano

I can't see the thumbnail in the Assets Panel.

lugeman13

I have downloaded the newest version of PE 12 and when I download the AVI files into the assets panel, they appear, but appear black and not as any thumbnail that I can identify when trying to do my editing.  I can view them in the timeline and they play just fine, but I have a lot of clips and I can't sort through the ones that I want to use if I can't identify it in the panel.  All of the other clips show up just fine, but these AVI files (mpeg2) won't give me the thumbnail view that I need.  I'm using Windows 7.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: I can't see the thumbnail in the Assets Panel.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lugeman13

Where are these MPEG2.avi clips coming from? Please give the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded them.

Please verify the properties of these files in a free properties readout program such as gspot..

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Our interest is in

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

file extension (I have my doubts about ."AVI files (mpeg2)

pixel aspect ratio

We will be watching for your details and then decide what next based on your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I can't see the thumbnail in the Assets Panel.
            lugeman13 Level 1

The files came from 2009 from a JVC Everio hard disk camcorder.  I have no idea about what you mean by compression but the info on gspot says:  DVD "VOB" format, MPEG2, Sys Bitrate 10080 kb/s VBR, 29.97, 720x480, sar 1.500(3:2), par 0.889 (8:9) dar 1.333 (4:3)

• 3. Re: I can't see the thumbnail in the Assets Panel.
              lugeman13 Level 1

Discovered that they are MOD and not AVI

• 4. Re: I can't see the thumbnail in the Assets Panel.
                lugeman13 Level 1

My raw original file says MOD but after I import it into PE and read the properties of the file, it says AVI, that's why I mentioned AVI before.  Why would PE say it's AVI, when it's an MOD file?

• 5. Re: I can't see the thumbnail in the Assets Panel.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lugeman13

We have a lot to sort out here. Your information has been very helpful but still some gaps.

1. When you look at the file on the computer hard drive (before it ever see Premiere Elements, what is the file extension, .mod or .avi?

2. When these video were originally recorded by the JVC camera, were they recorded as mod 4:3 or mod widescreen 16:9?

3. Mod standard and especially Mod standard widescreen have been highly problematic for Premiere Elements (any version). Is there any chance that you or someone else could have been trying to convert these files to something else and that the something else might be the problem now?

4. Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of the Properties readout that you get for the file when you right click its thumbnail in Project Assets and select Properties?

There have been two classical remedies for .mod file

a. standard or standard widescreen, rename the file extension from .mod to .mpg before file import into Premiere Elements

and

b. for mod standard widescreen, use Premiere Elements Interpret Footage to correct the 4:3 look for the intended 16:9 video

More on those matters later.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: I can't see the thumbnail in the Assets Panel.
                    lugeman13 Level 1

1.  MOD

2. 4:3

3. Never been converted or attempted

So, just changing the file extension from mod to mpg works?

• 7. Re: I can't see the thumbnail in the Assets Panel.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

lugerman13

If you know for sure that you have .mod standard 4:3, then, at the hard drive save location, rename only the file extension of the file from .mod to .mpg. Then import that MPEG2.mpg file into Premiere Elements 12. Do a manual setting of the project preset which will be NTSC DV Standard.

Open new project.to the Expert workspace

Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In the Change Settings dialog, change the project preset to NTSC DV Standard

Before you close of that area, in the last dialog, the new project dialog, put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project"

Then back in the Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag your MPEG2.mpg to the Timeline.

Did that work?

ATR

Add On..Two of the major hangups with .mod has been the file extension and the 16:9 flag of the standard widescreen version.

• 8. Re: I can't see the thumbnail in the Assets Panel.
                        lugeman13 Level 1

That worked, thanks for the insight...

• 9. Re: I can't see the thumbnail in the Assets Panel.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

lugeman13

Thanks for that great follow up news. Great job also.

Continuing success. and please do not hesitate to ask if further questions on this or other Premiere Elements workflow matters.

Best wishes

ATR