15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2014 9:11 AM by Rain4LA

Hard Drive Configuration question....

Rain4LA

Hi,

I just ordered a new custom Qosmio.  It has an i7 4700MQ Processer and 16GB DDR3L 1600MHZ SDRAM.  The Primary HD is a 256GB mSATA SSD.  The second and third HDs are both 500GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial ATA)

I'm looking for the best installation configuration for Premeier Pro on the hard drives for best results regarding speed and efficiency.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your consideration.  This is a big deal for me and I'm in kind of uncharted waters with multiple hard drives.  This is a big step up.  (I'm not a professional.  This is all hobby related)

• 2. Re: Hard Drive Configuration question....
          JEShort01 Level 4

Sounds like a pretty strong laptop setup!

I suggest doing a RAID 0 of the two HDs and putting most all data files (media, projects, exports) on the RAID. This should give you the best performance for your hardware.

For scratch and cache files you can experiment with trying them first on the boot/OS/programs drive (SSD) vs. the RAID 0 array.

Good luck and please report back your findings for your particular projects.

Regards,

Jim

• 3. Re: Hard Drive Configuration question....
            Rain4LA Level 1

Thanks for your reply.  I'm new to some of this and spent some time learning about RAID 0.  It sounds like a good plan.  I'm just wondering if I can just set it up on Windows 8 when I get my new laptop without any extra software.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Todd

• 4. Re: Hard Drive Configuration question....
              JEShort01 Level 4

Todd,

You will need Intel's applicaton to set this up (assuming that the RAID ports are Intel); you can download that from your motherboard vendor's site (Toshiba in this case for a Qosmio).

Setting up a RAID 0 array is pretty simple and easy to do unless it is for a boot array.

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Hard Drive Configuration question....
                Rain4LA Level 1

Very helpful.  Thanks so much.  I'm always so glad to find people like you online.  Amazing world we're living in - despite all the negativity and nonsense!

• 6. Re: Hard Drive Configuration question....
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Amazing with some of these new laptops.  With the new USB3 high speed drives you can have all your media stored on a USB3 drive and use it as a third functional drive (your mSATA OS and application drive your RAID array for all the project files plus the USB drive for media files).  You have to be very careful on the USB3 drives to pick the proper one as you can see from this Tom's Hardware Review that performance varies all over the place.  I happen to have a 128 GB PNY that I am using for that exact purpose, but after reading that article I have ordered one of the Sandisk Extreme 64 GB units to test it out.

The read speed on the PNY is as good as any hard disk drive in that it is over 180 MB/sec.  It does not have a great write speed but for a media drive it is perfect.  My master media storage is on a desktop but many times I need the portability of a laptop and a third drive is very useful.  Of course I am jealous of your RAID capability, but I do have instead a extremely fast project SSD in my laptop.

• 7. Re: Hard Drive Configuration question....
                    Rain4LA Level 1

Thanks Bill.

Just to clarify, you're talking about using the 3rd (4th) drive to draw the raw media files that you're working from, right?  Just an additional external location to use to keep free the space on the RAID and SSD for the actual work and rendering, etc.?

I know I don't always use the right terms.  Everything I know, I've taught myself - so my terminology probably has to be deciphered at times.  Hopefully you know what I mean?

THANKS GUYS!

• 8. Re: Hard Drive Configuration question....
                      JFPhoton Level 3

Hello Bill!

I am chuckling right now, as last night I too ordered the PNY 128GB USB3 thumb drive...how can you go wrong for $59 ??? I had been using a cheap USB3 dock for the last three years with great success in combination with my Asus i7 laptop...but, this is WAY more convenient when travelling! I congratulate you on your new Asus! Three years ago I did like you....maxxed out memory,put quality SSDs in the two internal HDD bays, and added a third high speed drive using the external dock. Although my i7 740QM was not the absolute fastest on the PPBM 5 test.....the machine ranked third or fourth for a long time......I still use it with great success!! Speccy shows the CPU running at 2.3GHZ under full load, all cores running and over 3 with a single core application. YOURS must REALLY be kicking butt!!  One recent development has helped MY "old" machine......the now FREE version of Cineform available at Go Pro.

If dealing with three or more tracks loaded with GPU accelerated effects, it is possible to edit at full resolution in real time without rendering previews. This technique helps especially when the original video is Canon dslr MOV files!!!  I can actually monitor the GPU getting increasingly saturated using MSI Afterburner, as I add effects to the limit.

Bill, I am curious how well YOUR new laptop is working using the most recent version of CC PPro? How far can you push it before before it starts choking.....does the new feature in CC eliminating the old " 32 bit QuickTime Canon dslr MOV files" actually work? I am sure your new Asus is A quantum leap over mine!  I am also curious what you think of the upcoming Haswell E desktop CPUs.....and all the new features included. Thanks again Bill!......you and Harm have been such a great help to so many of us here who have read your valuable contributions!!

• 9. Re: Hard Drive Configuration question....
                        Rain4LA Level 1

Hi Jim,

Are you talking about something like this:

Toshiba Qosmio X70-A Intel RST Driver 12.0.4.1001 for Windows 8 64-bit

If so, I'm hoping that I can do it without having to go through the whole BIOS thing.  Any help - again - is appreciated.

Thanks.

Todd

• 10. Re: Hard Drive Configuration question....
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think I have a MOV file here some place, I will attempt to find it and try it on the laptop.  Needless to say Ihave run our PPBM-DE testing many, many times under many different configurations.  Harm on his Tweakers Page under Tuning has posted the results of the original (as received condition) and after a lot of tweaking, tuning and finally I have found that at least with my GTX 765M that the GPU can be immensely speeded up by increasing the memory clock, in my case from 1000 MHz to 1500 MHz. 

Rain4LA,

"Just an additional external location to use to keep free the space on the RAID and SSD for the actual work and rendering, etc.?"

Yes, and it also minimizes contention for the same drive to do multiple tasks.  And allows a very convenient way to move projects between computers.   I do initial editing on my faster two screen desktop and then can take the project to the customer for final tweaking and tuning at their site.  Of course I carry an HDMI cable along to plug into their HDTV.

• 11. Re: Hard Drive Configuration question....
                            Rain4LA Level 1

Thank you, thank you, thank you.....

By the way, I don't have customers or anything like that. Video editing is just a passionate hobby I have.  I do stuff for myself, my family, and friends.  My workstation will be my new laptop.  It will be at least a 3Xs upgrade from my 4 year-old Vaio.  I'm very excited about getting it set up and I really appreciate the suggestions and input.  Any work I do now is excruciating and painstakingly slow.  Almost prohibitive.

Thanks again!

Todd

By the way, I don't have any idea how to "increase the memory clock"?

• 12. Re: Hard Drive Configuration question....
                              JEShort01 Level 4

Todd,

No, I'm not talking about the driver, but you will need that too.

Look for the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" application tool.

Regards,

Jim

• 13. Re: Hard Drive Configuration question....
                                Rain4LA Level 1

Hey Jim,

I don't want to be a pain.  This sounds like it should be fairly simple.  But those types of softwares don't seem to have any updates since 2009 - 2010.  I've stumbled across a couple of Youtube instructional vids that lead me to believe that Windows 8 already has the necessary drivers and tools to be able to set up a RAID without going to Intel for this.  If I'm overlooking something, it wouldn't surprise me.  But I'd also like to know if I'm on the right track?

Thanks,

Todd

• 14. Re: Hard Drive Configuration question....
                                  JEShort01 Level 4

Todd,

I don't have much Win 8/8.1 experience, but some quick searching on the www seemed to indicate that the simple and easy to use Intel Matrix Storage Manager tool is not supported for the latest versions of Windows!

Toshiba's site shares very little about the support of RAID on the Qosmio line, but a user review on Amazon did appear to indicate that a RAID 0 can be configured by the user.

Sorry, but I simply don't know much about either your Toshiba model or Win 8.

Regards,

Jim

• 15. Re: Hard Drive Configuration question....
                                    Rain4LA Level 1

Hey, I really appreciate your help.  I'll figure it out, I'm sure. 

Thanks for everything.

Todd