13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2014 8:19 PM by A.T. Romano

help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12

gtavetian

I am having trouble with jerky videos when I import them to Premiere Elements 12.  Most of the videos I am using are fine, both from Youtube and from my Canon Rebel T4i.  But when I use videos from another camera (it is not my camera, and I am not sure of the make and model though I believe it is a Nikon of some sort), the videos typically start to fall apart. The sound is fine, but the video gets jerky and separated from the audio.  Is there a solution?  I am trying to find the make and model of the camera.

It is odd that sometimes I will import the same video into my timeline, and the results will vary, sometimes being very jerky and sometimes being okay.

Can you help?

• 1. Re: help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

We will work on this in the morning. Please try and gather the following information:

a. What are the properties of the source media that are involved in the problem

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

The MediaInfo and gspot properties readout out programs would give us this information, but I am hoping the we can figure them out from the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded that video.

http://download.cnet.com/MediaInfo/3000-2169_4-10413046.html

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Setting up the project correctly is very important to a success import, edit, and export.

So, are you or the program setting up the project preset to match the properties of the source media?

What is the intended export for your edited Timeline content?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12
            gtavetian Level 1

SEE MY RESPONSES BELOW.  THEY ARE IN ALL CAPS.

-

"A.T. Romano" <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

A.T. Romano http://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano created the discussion

"Re: help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12"

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6256407#6256407

• 3. Re: help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might try again, using a web browser... if you are using a cell phone, the replies do not always come through

• 4. Re: help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

Thanks for trying to reply. But, your post did not get posted. Please check out John's suggestion about posting from a web browser instead of cell phone.

But, I am not really sure that is the real reason for the post problem since you posted your original thread post just fine.

It might have been the way you did a copy/paste into your thread. Or, you may have varied your posting route/techique from the first time until this latest time.

Please review the details. We will be watching for your post with the problem details. If more problems, we will think about this some more and then try to get input from one of the web people/moderators if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12
                  gtavetian Level 1

Before I write out my answers again, please let me know if you received this email.  if you do, I don't understand why you would not receive the prior one.  But I will just try it again if you can receive this.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6263285#6263285

• 6. Re: help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

Yes. This message is received

Before I write out my answers again, please let me know if you received this email.  if you do, I don't understand why you would not receive the prior one.  But I will just try it again if you can receive this

The only other thing that I can think of is the you are answering the email notification instead of going to your browser, navigating to Premere Elements Forum, signing in, and then replying in your thread.

I am going to be calling it a day soon.

If I do not see your post before then, I will look for it in the morning. If the posting problem is not resolve by tomorrow first thing, I will seek the moderator to see what can be done.

Thanks for the follow ups.

AT

• 7. Re: help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12
                      gtavetian Level 1

My responses from yesterday.  The camera with the balky videos is a Canon 70 D.  Since a friend took the videos and had borrowed the camera, I won't be able to get any more information about it.

The computer I am on is a laptop that runs on Windows XP, 32 bit.  If need be, I could switch to our desktop, which runs on Windows 7 and is 64 bit.  However, I would prefer not to. 

I haven't set up the program to match the properties of the camera.  I don't know the properties of the camera.  Also, the video I intend to make has video from various sources, including other video cameras, videos from youtube, and lots of still pictures (which haven't posed any problems at all).

You asked what is my intended export?  I assume the question you are asking can be answered as follows.  I would export to the computer.  However, I would like to put the video on a disk, if possible.

I hope this email is readable.  I hope I have answered your questions adequately.

Thanks.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6256407#6256407

• 8. Re: help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

Thanks for the reply.

Premiere Elements (any version) allows for only one project preset and that should match the properties of the source files. When you have a mixture of video sizes, then you need to set priorities. Typically, you use the properties of your prime video and then fit everything else to fit as best possible. So, for now let us focus on the Canon 70D as the prime video and determine how that behaves in Premiere Elements 12 and your preference Windows XP 32 bit. You are putting yourself at a resource disadvantage here in view of editing HD footage, but let us proceed nonetheless and then you can decide if you want ot be forced into Windows 7 64 bit.

1. Need to know properties of source media. Let us try to piece the needed information together. Your Canon 70D shots

1920 x 1080 @ 30, 25, or 24 progressive frames per second

or

1280 x 1080 @ 60 or 50 progressive frames per second

or

640 x 480 @ 30 or 25 progressive frames per second.

Since you have no idea which one, then the quick and rough way to get at this.

Open Premiere Elements 12 to the Expert workspace and use Add Media/Files and Folders/ to bring your video file into Project Assets. Right click the video file in Project Assets, select Properties and let me know what it says for Frame Size, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio. Then go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and tell me what it shows for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the fields are grayed out.

That information will

a. let us know the properties of the source that we need to match with the project preset (project settings)

and

b. it will tell us if the program is automatically setting the correct project preset which it does not always....if not correct, then we set the project preset manually ourselves.

That simple test group gives us all the information we need to set up the project correctly so that we can rule out project setup as a factor if there are problems once the editing gets started. If we can get a stable Timeline video from the Canon 70D, then we can move forward with the addition of other source media and fit them into the scheme of things with the Canon 70D as the prime video.

Please review and consider and then let us know the results if you wish to proceed. We are looking forward to the opportunity to be of assistance.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12
                          gtavetian Level 1

Thank you.  I will do this tomorrow. Haven't slept much in a while and

am really tired.

• 10. Re: help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12
                            gtavetian Level 1

Tonight I will try to get the information you requested.  I have two semi-related questions in the meantime. 

First, is there value to transferring the Adobe Premiere program onto my desktop since it is a bit newer and more powerful (the desktop runs on Windows 7  and is 64 bit whereas the laptop is 32 bit and runs on Windows XP).

Second, is it difficult to complete a project on the desktop, publish it, and then transfer it to the laptop?  I would like to take the video across country with me.  If the file is really big, is it hard to transfer it by thumb drive or external hard drive?  I don't want to create a program and not show it anywhere other than where our desktop is located.

Thanks.  I will get back to you tonight.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6267050#6267050

• 11. Re: help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

1. Premiere Elements 12 is a 64 bit application when run specially on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. And, as such, you can benefit from the 64 bit resources which can include installed RAM greater than 4 GB. This does not always translate into faster. More a multitasking perk. Premiere Elements 12 as a 64 bit application shines in getting those larger projects completed at a greater success rate than if you had used Premiere Elements as 32 bit application. Free hard drive space and processor are among the important considerations.

2. If you are going to travel with a Premiere Elements 12 project file (project.prel), then you have to keep the project file with all the source media that it used. For this purpose, see File Menu/Project Archiver (Archiver or Copy option). The resulting "Folder" from Project Archiver can transferred to a USB Flask Drive which comes in a variety of capacities.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

If you are going to export your Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive, then just transfer the file from the computer hard drive save location to a USB Flash Drive or burn it to DVD (data disc) with 3rd party software that might have come with your burner. The standard DVD disc is spec'd at 4.7 GB/120 minutes (in reality that 4.7 GB is 4.38 GB) Those USB Flash Drives come in a variety of capacities - I have seen as high as 64 GB, probably higher. And, of course, there is a USB external hard drive (portable or otherwise) with varied and large capacities.

Computer resources is definitely a major consideration for larger projects with HD formats. Do a mini test run before your travel. What is the file size of the export file that you are planning for?

Please let me know if I have targeted your concerns and questions.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12
                                gtavetian Level 1

A.T.: Here is what I learned.  I went to project assets and found:

Frame size (it says image size) 1920 x 1080

Frame Rate    29.97

Pixel aspect ratio    1.0

Then I went to edit and found:

Editing mode    1080i

Timebase      29.97 fps

Frame Rate   It says display format  30 fps drop-frame timecode

Pixel aspect ratio     square pixels (1.0)

That is all the information you requested, I believe.

As for your other answers about which computer to use, this is what I

got out of your answer.  I should probablyuse the desktop. I will be

able to transfer the project to a dvd or external hard drive and put

that onto the laptop.  Is that correct?  I don't know how big the

program will be.  It will probably be about 10 minutes of video along

with 6 minutes of stills, and stills to go along with audio that is part

of the video (deleting out that portion of the video).  So it is big.  I

hope I am not biting off more than I can chew.

Thanks.

• 13. Re: help with jerky videos on premiere elements 12
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

Thanks for the details.

It looks like the program's automatic project preset is the default NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30.

That is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

From what I have read your camera records

1920 x 1080 @ 30 (29.97) progressive frames per second.

The definitive answer (interelaced vs progressive) can come from a MediaInfo properties readout (Tree View) which can tell us Scan Type: Interlaced or Progressive.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

If you do download and install the program to get the confirming information, just watch out for carryalongs with the program. They can mess up your browser. But the information is important to the project settings.

Right now I going with you having 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second which would direct you to set up the project preset manually. To do that, before importing source media into the project....File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings. In Change Settings, change the project preset to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

I would encourage you to go with the computer which offers the most resources. And, do not stress the resources - keep the pixel dimensions as close to 1920 x 1080 16:9 as possible for those photos. You will not get better results with very high resolution and letting the program drag it down to the resolution of the export standard. All you do is slow down the workflow, how much depending on level of computer resources and how oversized the photos are for the project settings. Sometimes you can stretch that type of classically recommendation, but....

You should do fine. Do not underestimate your talents. Do some mini test runs before the grand project if you need to iron out some workflow details.

Best wishes.

We are just a post away if you need a back seat driver for the project.

ATR