7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2014 9:24 AM by Aske

Cross dissolve transition fails

Aske

I have loaded an mp4 file into Premiere Elements 11 and used the Auto Analyze procedure to split the file into scenes. Then I tried to put in a cross dissolve transiton between two scenes. It looked OK on the timeline but when I ran the edited video no cross dissolve could be seen. Everything looked as before the insertion of the transition. I repeated the operation in a test version of PE 12 but it also failed. Have I missed anything?

• 1. Re: Cross dissolve transition fails
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Whenever you add a transition between clips, the program must use a little video beyond each clip's cut to produce the transitional segment.

If you are using a bunch of video clips that are all trimmed down from the same larger clip, this transitional segment is actually a part of the next clip -- so you're essentially transitioning from a clip to itself, which makes the cross dissolve invisible.

Try trimming a second off of the beginning and end of each clip you're transitioning to and from and then add your cross dissolve. This creates about a second of transitional material for each clip, and your cross dissolve should work just fine.

• 2. Re: Cross dissolve transition fails
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve points out, one needs Handles (extra Frames) for most Transitions, such as Cross-Dissloves. This Tips & Tricks article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/701768?tstart=30

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Cross dissolve transition fails
              Aske Level 1

I have used the advice I got from Steve on a couple of transitions and it looks quite promising. More “training” and I might be satisfied. Thanks Steve!

Also thanks to Bill for the link to the article that explains the “theory” behind transitions. I think that I now understand why I have to spend a lot of time to edit my first video (I have only used PE for slide shows earlier and transitions between stills did not present any problems).

However, I am a little disappointed that the PE help files did not help me.

Aske

• 4. Re: Cross dissolve transition fails
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Aske

Hope the following work that I have done will contribute to answering your questions about Premiere Elements transitions.

The following contains how transitions work (with graphics) for Premiere Elements 10 and 11. The Premiere Elements 11 information would be applicable to Premiere Elements 12

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe-video-transitions-part-2-how-they.html

If Premiere Elements 12 transition duration less than 1 second (as well as minimum transition duration) is of interest for your projects

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/03/pe-minimum-duration-for-transition.html

ATR

• 5. Re: Cross dissolve transition fails
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I've also got a free 8-part Basic Training tutorial series for Premiere Elements that you may find helpful.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=30

We can also direct you to step-by-step books and well as a detailed video course on the program on http://lynda.com.

I agree that the Help files aren't always completely helpful. But that's why Bill, ATR, Neale, the others and I spend so much time on these forums, helping people out and creating courses, tips and books!

• 6. Re: Cross dissolve transition fails
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Aske

You wrote

However, I am a little disappointed that the PE help files did not help me.

And SG has responded to that with

But that's why Bill, ATR, Neale, the others and I spend so much time on these forums, helping people out and creating courses, tips and books

Premiere Elements Help PDF, courses, tips, and books are important assets in navigating the Premiere Elements learning curve. However, often troubleshooting is needed targeted at the details of the particular issue. That is where I believe the forum resource shines, allowing us to try to customize an answer/solution for you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Cross dissolve transition fails
                      Aske Level 1

I am overwhelmed! What a response to my call for assistance. All the information you have provided will certainly improve my knowledge of transitions considerably. So, again, thank you all for the help

Regards

Aske