8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2014 10:14 AM by A.T. Romano

Best export settings for SVHS video from Premiere Elements 12

TD1459

Hi

when I view my SVHS video on screen via premiere elements 12 the quality looks very good. However, when I edit the video and save, the quality is quite poor.

I need to know what is the best settings to save my video. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thank you Tom

• 1. Re: Best export settings for SVHS video from Premiere Elements 12
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What device did you use to digitize your analog video? This makes a huge difference. If you want the best capture quality, you MUST use a device that attaches via FireWire connection. Lower end USB devices often produce okay looking video -- but not video that's of editable quality.

In fact, open one of your captured video clips in G Spot or Media Info and post its resolution, frame rate and, above all, audio and video codec to this forum. This will better tell us what we're dealing with.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 2. Re: Best export settings for SVHS video from Premiere Elements 12
            TD1459 Level 1

Hi Steve

Many thanks for your very quick and helpful reply. I bought a ADVC-55 specifically to capture the video.

I have just download gspot (didn't know this existed) and have opened the whole avi file (not a clip)

Audio info 48000Hz  1536 kb/s tot (2 chnls)

Video

dvsd

DVC/DV Video

Frms 67,808

kbps 14238

Qf 1.373

Pics/s 25.001  Frames/s  25.001  Fields  50.00

Pic w  720 x 576

sar  1.250 (5:4)   par  1.067 (16:15)   dar  1.333 (4:3)

not sure if this info is what you asked for

many thanks

Tom

• 3. Re: Best export settings for SVHS video from Premiere Elements 12
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You appear to be in PAL land, not NTSC... is that correct?

What are you trying to publish/share your video FOR... a DVD or a computer file?

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has several SHARING links that may help

• 4. Re: Best export settings for SVHS video from Premiere Elements 12
                TD1459 Level 1

I am in the Uk, I would like to compile the video and then save it in the best quality as a computer file or save it straight to DVD for sharing with family.

It is quality that I am aiming for. I just need to know which file type I should use from the huge list in the drop down menu, there are also

more advanced options which are available and I do not have a clue which ones to pick to maximise the end result.

• 5. Re: Best export settings for SVHS video from Premiere Elements 12
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This type of captured video should load perfectly into Premiere Elements and give you excellent output results.

To output your DVD, just use Publish & Share/Disc and select the DVD option. Your DVD video should look virtually indistinguishable from your original captured video.

Don't worry if that doesn't seem to be the case when you are viewing this video in Premiere Elements. The program may be scaling back the quality of your preview video. But this has no effect on what your final output will look like.

• 6. Re: Best export settings for SVHS video from Premiere Elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

TD

I have some questions to ask and some suggestions to make for your consideration after you have concluded your discussions with SG.

1. Am I assuming correctly that you used a firewire connection for your ADVC-55 capture? And, if so, what did you capture into - Premiere Elements 12 Capture Windows to give you DV AVI Type 2? In the gspot readout (to the left of the dialog), what does it say about the Container.

2. Assuming that you have DV AVI Type 2 (4:3) files saved to your computer hard drive, have you tried

For DVD-VIDEO PAL Standard Format on DVD disc

a. Open Premiere Elements 12 new project to Expert workspace, File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings....Change project preset to PAL DV Standard....before leaving that area, making sure you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

b. Then back in the Premiere Elements 12 workspace, Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag you DV AVI to the Timeline.

c. After edits and maybe menu application,

Publish+Share/Disc/DVD burn to disc

check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"

Preset = PAL Dolby DVD

Before hitting Burn in the burn dialog, note what the readings are in the burn dialog for Space Required and Bitrate. If the Bitrate is 8.00 Mbps at that point, that is good. More on that later.

For Export To File (AVCHD.mp4)

If you want to export, your Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive, please consider

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

MP4 - PAL DV Standard

If your details are other than that which I assumed, please let us know.

We will be watching for further discussions and results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Best export settings for SVHS video from Premiere Elements 12
                      TD1459 Level 1

Hi ATR

1. Using a firewire connection, Yes

Thank you for your advice, in the container it reads as follows

Note: 4.59 GB uneeded bytes at end of file

DV Type 2 AVI

Multipart OpenDMLAVI (5 parts)

(67808 frames in first part, 0 frames follow)

The program is on my computer at home and I will use the settings you have suggested in your reply a,b,c when I get home.

I think the information you have provided is exactly what I wanted help with.

Thank you very much

• 8. Re: Best export settings for SVHS video from Premiere Elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

TD1459

Sounding good.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR