5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2014 9:40 AM by Szalam

After Effects CS5 crashing at launch

binford26

Error message at crash

<ASL.ResourceUtils.GetLanguageIDFromRegistry> <0> Unable to obtain the User 'Language' registry key at: Software\Adobe\After Effects\10.0\Defaulting to 'en_US'

(I also get the "dynamiclink" error message when it crashes)

(then the following message appears)

After Effects can't continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. See http://adobe.com/support/products/aftereffects.html for known issues. If you still can't resolve the issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2).

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________

The timeline and what I've done to try and resolve the problem but with no luck so far.

I have tried all of the following and each time tried re-starting After Effects and got the same messages above during the initialization.

Tues. March 25

After Effects working fine.  I worked on a couple of short projects that will go in a final project for my daughter's wedding reception video.  That evening, I purchased another After Effects template from "pond5", a stock media website for video creators, to use in the final project .

Wed. March 26

After the first few tries opening AE with the new template I purchased, and then just the application by itself, and then with other AE projects, I got the error messages above. I then contacted Adobe support and engaged in a chat with one of the support people who did (by remote access) or had me do the following

* Upgraded the video drivers

* uninstall After Effects and re install it

* updated After Effects from Adobe website

* moved all third party plug-ins out of After Effects plug-in folder to descktop

* uninstall the whole CS5 Production Premium suite of Adobe apps that include After Effects, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Media Encoder, Illustrator, Encore, * Soundbooth, etc., and re install that. 

* ran the update of After Effects again.

Thur. March 27

* reset/deleted After Effects preferences using Control, Alt, Shift at startup

* used AVS Registry Cleaner to find and clear any problems with the Windows registry

* continued to look on Adobe and other forums for possible solutions. When searching with the error message on google, I found several hits for the issue. More than one would be found on Adobe forums, and a few on other forums.  One of the Adobe experts replied initially with the following message and then went on to try and help the user with other suggestions.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3949270

1. Todd_Kopriva, Oct 1, 2011 8:02 PM   in reply to von Elling Report

The text of those messages often isn't that useful for showing where the problem is. Often, the error message is just showing you the last logged action.

It would appear that the error message does not have anything to do with the problem.  It just shows up after AE hits the snag, which could be a result of any number of things, and those things are related to all of the various things I've tried, with no luck, to solve the problem.

Fri. March 28

* move the Extensions folder with the Open GL plug-in to the desktop

* move Plug-ins folder containing all plug-ins to desktop

• 1. Re: After Effects CS5 crashing at launch
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you unistalled, did you run the CC Cleaner tool before you reinstalled?

Have you tried installing the trial version of CS6 or CC?

Between it working and not working, did you do anything else besides purchase something from Pond5? For example, did your operating system update itself? Did you install anything?

What template did you purchase?

• 2. Re: After Effects CS5 crashing at launch
            binford26 Level 1

When you unistalled, did you run the CC Cleaner tool before you reinstalled?

No. I ran it in the sequence described. It was after I reinstalled the software. But, I can uninstall AE, run the AVS Registry Cleaner, and reinstall again.

Have you tried installing the trial version of CS6 or CC?

No, I haven't tried a trial version of either. Would this be a good suggestion?

Between it working and not working, did you do anything else besides purchase something from Pond5? For example, did your operating system update itself? Did you install anything?

I don't think there was a Windows 7 update on that day - March 26.  I didn't install anything.  I hadn't yet downloaded the plug-in required for the template, "Sure Target 2" from VideoCopilot.

What template did you purchase?

A rather simple template, in design terms and appearance, called "Photo Frames"  by HomeMadeCinema on pond5.

I also looked at trying to run a system restore but the last restore point  was 3/26/14 at 10 p.m., past the the date and time before AE started crashing. any previous restore points got pushed off the list when the uninstall-reinstall took place.

One more thing: I spent over two hours on chat with part of the time on chat and phone with the Adobe tech support on 3/26, who remotely tried to resolve the problem on my computer from his computer.  At no point did the guy tell me that CS5 was no longer supported by chat or by phone.  He was very patient and determined in his working with me. When he sugessted that I uninstall and reinstall all of CS5 Production Premium and re-start AE, I told him that would take a while.  He understood and ended the session with a request to email him back with the result of that effort.  I did email him back and have yet to recieve an answer.  So, I went back to Adobe support chat  on Friday 3/28 and got a different tech support person.  This person took a look at my case and asked if I was using CS5.  I told him/her, yes.  AE CS5.  The person then told me that CS5 was no longer supported by chat or phone support and to go to the Adobe forum. 

Apparently, the first guy A.) wasn't aware that CS5 was no longer supported (which I seriously doubt), or B.) felt it was more important to solve an Adobe customer's problem than to dismiss me altogether.

Just passing this on.  BTW, thanks so much for your reply.

• 3. Re: After Effects CS5 crashing at launch

The Adobe CC Cleaner is different from a registry cleaner. It might help to run it after you've uninstalled BEFORE you reinstall.

binford26 wrote:

I haven't tried a trial version of either. Would this be a good suggestion?

If CC or CS6 launched and worked properly, it might help us figure out what is wrong with your CS5.

Although, it might also be an excellent chance for you to upgrade to the newest version too.

• 4. Re: After Effects CS5 crashing at launch
                binford26 Level 1

I downloaded a trail version of AE CC.  It crashed at launch.  I've downloaded CC Cleaner.  Before I use it, I need to know if I need to uninstall all of CS5 Production Premium or can I uninstall After Effects CS5 only. Will it effect all of Production Premium to run CC Cleaner?  SEE screenshot below.

That said, the beauty of the Creative Suite is that it includes dynamic link.  I have been able to open Premiere Pro and use dynamic link to import the AE projects that I have completed for my video.  And, whereas I can't use AE currently to create any more AE projects, I do have the ability to continue my video project in PPro which I had planned to do when all of the AE projects were finished and rendered.

But, I'd seriously like to resolve the problem with AE in order to use it again.

CC Cleaner list.png

• 5. Re: After Effects CS5 crashing at launch

If AE CC crashed at launch, there may be something wrong with your machine at a deeper level than just After Effects. What was the message you received when it crashed? Where in the process did it crash?