6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2014 7:39 AM by A.T. Romano

PE12 does not default to last project video edit setting

audriereed

My PE12 video edit setting is defaulting to HD1080i25 (UK region default). I need AVCHD1080p50.

I have set a new project to AVCHD1080p50 and saved. Exit PE12 then re-start. It still creates new project at 1080i25.

The documentation says PE12 should remember the last used setting.

What is going wrong?

thanks

Audrie

• 1. Re: PE12 does not default to last project video edit setting
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

PrE 11 & 12 have a built-in default, but will usually change the Project's Setting to match the first Video Clip, when it's Imported and dragged to the Timeline. PrE, as of version 11, does not "remember" the last Project Setting. Is that change not taking place in your PrE 12 Projects?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE12 does not default to last project video edit setting
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Audrie

Allow me to go over some details to make sure that your details are not being misinterpreted by me or anyone else here.

1. You open a new project in Premiere Elements 12 and you want to edit your 1080p50 video in it. Who is setting the project preset, you or the program?

a. If you, are you using File Menu/New/Project Change Settings and Changing the project preset = PAL AVCHD AVCHD 1080p50, making sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" before you leave that area. Then, when you are back in the Expert workspace, are you using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets for the 1080p50 import.

or

b. If the program, are you first using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag your 1080p50 to the Timeline? If this is the case, have you determined what the program has selected for the project preset based on the properties of the first drag to the Timeline? (See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio, even if those fields look grayed out.

The program does not always give the correct project preset. When it does not, it does not give you the closest to what you have. It gives its default, which is in your case, PAL AVCHD Full HD1080p25.

Now here is the question...are you saying that, after you save close reopen your program, you discover somehow that you project is 1080p25 instead of 1080p50. If so, how are you making that determination at that time. Once the project preset is set by you or the program for a project, that project maintains that project preset for that particular project.

So when you point to documentation that says

The documentation says PE12 should remember the last used setting.

Please give a link to such documentation. Premiere Elements 12 cannot even remember workspace in the dual monitor set up when the same project is saved closed reopened.

A new project will always open to NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30 or its PAL counterpart. After that

a. You set the project preset based on the properties you know for your source.

or

b. The program sets the project preset based on the first drag of the source to the Timeline (if it cannot, then your project preset is for NTSC or PAL AVCHD Full 1080i30.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-dual-monitor-workflow-concerns.html

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR.

• 3. Re: PE12 does not default to last project video edit setting
              audriereed Level 1

ATR,

1. I am setting the project to 1080p50. I tick Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" . I import a 1080p50 clip. I save. I exit. Note PE12 always crashes after saving when I do this! The projecrt is OK but maybe this is related to the problem.

The project is correctly saved as 1080p50.

When I run PE12, select Video Editor in the splash screen, then New Project, this is always 1080i25.

"By default, Premiere Elements uses an AVCHD preset for the television standard you specify when you install the program. Select a new preset to create projects in a different format, television standard, or frame aspect ratio.

The preset you select becomes the default, which is used for all new projects, until you select another preset"

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/project-settings-presets.html

thanks

Audrie

• 4. Re: PE12 does not default to last project video edit setting
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Audrie

As I wrote

A new project will always open to NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30 or its PAL counterpart. After that

a. You set the project preset based on the properties you know for your source.

or

b. The program sets the project preset based on the first drag of the source to the Timeline (if it cannot, then your project preset is for NTSC or PAL AVCHD Full 1080i30.

Further, once the project preset has been set by you or the program, it cannot be changed without having to start a new project and start over again with the new project preset. (There is exception which I have written about and which is not applicable to all situations.)

I am not sure if we are in sync on this, but, just in case, when you select New Project, that is not the same project that you saved as 1080p50. It is a New Project. You will only get back your 1080p50 when you use the option for Open Project and select the name of your 1080p50.

Main thought is that the project preset is set to match the properties of the source media so that the program is directed to set up the correct space in the Edit area monitor where you edit.

You wrote

I import a 1080p50 clip. I save. I exit. Note PE12 always crashes after saving when I do this! The projecrt is OK but maybe this is related to the problem.

Do you find it makes a difference if you close the program with File Menu/Exit or clicking on the X button at the top right of the Expert workspace?

Please let me know if you are OK with the information so far.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: PE12 does not default to last project video edit setting
                  nealeh Level 5

Thanks for the link to the Help file Audrie. You are quite right in describing what it says, but unfortunately it is wrong. A new project in PAL land is always going to default to 1080i25 (and it's not because of crashing during your save). It's unclear to me if it is a bug or an outdated help file

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 6. Re: PE12 does not default to last project video edit setting
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Audrie

Let me go a step further to clarify this inclusion in the Adobe document

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/project-settings-presets.html

The preset you select becomes the default, which is used for all new projects, until you select another preset. If you choose a preset temporarily, change it when you’ve finished using it.

Regardless of what that quote says, I have describe in detail what actually exists. In the times of versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 11, most of the time the new project dialog would remember the project preset from one project ot the next. But, those were the days when the user was the first in the workflow to set up the new project dialog and the project preset.

The only "bugs" I find in the new project setting system for Premiere Elements 11 and 12 is that the program automatic way does not always do it correctly. The user needs to be aware of that eventuality and be prepared to set the project preset manually.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

We need to focus on the crash aspects of your projects at closing. From what you wrote, they appear to be a sort of post closing type crash. There is no known closing bug in Premiere Elements 12 as far as I have ever encountered. We need to explore the details of your project and computer environment to try to get at an answer for the post closing crash issue.

Lots to explore.

But, I would compare notes with you on this matter with regard to a very infrequent happening on my Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. I would say 1 out of 100 times, I close a project or save/close it, and after the close or save close is completed successfully, I will see a message about Premiere Elements 12 being forced to close.

Please review and then let us know if you have questions or need clarification.

Thanks.

ATR