5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2014 5:36 PM by George_Johnson

What good javascript editor do you use?

MatLac Level 1

While going through acrobat settings, I found that I can switch the default javascript editor to an external one.  Is there anybody using this function here?  The default editor lacks visual aid and often causes annoying little bugs like hangings, cursor disapearance, even code vanishing sometimes, and not counting jamming the entire adobe environnement because this window is still opened.  For now, I took habit in writing my code in notepad before pasting it in acrobat but if there is a better way to do it, I would change.  I don't need any fancy stuff as I am not a professional coder.  Just color coding brakets and pin point error location would be enough.  Of course, it needs to be fully compatible with the acrobat API as I do not want to translate from standard JS.

• 1. Re: What good javascript editor do you use?
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That feature allows selection to a text editor to be used to edit the JavaScript code. The text editor need to be a text editor and not a word processor. There can be no additional formatting code add to the text.

Users use NotePad, TextPad, or Notepad++ to name a few.

There is JavaScript development environment for Acrobat.

• 2. Re: What good javascript editor do you use?
            try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I don't use this feature because for it to work you have to completely

close the editor each time you want to apply a change, which makes it

useless to me. I use Notepad++ as an external editor where I write the

code, and then I paste it into the internal editor when I want to run it.

Notepad++ offers visual cues, JS-syntax coloring, version comparisons, and

many (many) other features.

In situations where the code is too long for the internal editor and I have

to use an external one, I use Notepad because it's easy to open it, enter

the code (again, having edited it in Notepad++), save and close it in a

matter of seconds.

• 3. Re: What good javascript editor do you use?
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'll second the recommendation for Notepad++ as it's free and fast and it does what you want. I don't find closing the editor each time to be a problem, except on a Mac.

• 4. Re: What good javascript editor do you use?
                MatLac Level 1

I just tried notepad++ and I've got to admit it's pretty much what I need.  However, I can't find how to set JS-synthax coloring.  In the Language tab, the only languages listed are JAVA and JSP although JAVA seems to have a similar synthax.  DO you set it to JAVA or is there a separate JS plugin I need to install?

• 5. Re: What good javascript editor do you use?
                  George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

In my copy, which is the latest version (6.5.5), you can select: Language > J > Javascript

I'm not sure why it would be missing in yours.