5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2014 1:12 PM by Dave LaRonde

Render items prior to a main render

rsukhram@tgioa.com Level 1

Hey sorry but couldn't think of a better way to title this.  First off thanks for all your help in the past.  I am slowly learning but you guys have always given me good direction and great advise.

I was wondering what do you do in the case of using items created in AE within another AE project?

I created an animation which will be placed multiple times on a ribbon sized project.  I notice that all of my renders of the ribbon always hangs up around the same frames.

What are best practices when using projects within projects?

thanks again for your help.

• 1. Re: Render items prior to a main render
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Prerendering is a very common part of the workflow for many people.

You should also look into things like proxies.

The help files should help with both of these things.

• 2. Re: Render items prior to a main render
            bogiesan Level 4

I learned how to prerender back in the olden days. Any layers (or groups of layers) that I knew would not change (at least not significantly) were always prerendered as either full rez movies or as low rez (what we called proxies back then before proxies were conveniently automated). One example would be chromakey foregrounds rendered out as movie with alpha. Saves an incredible amount of processing time.

• 3. Re: Render items prior to a main render

will do.  thanks.  

I was also wondering about commonly used assets.   Would you use one asset file and resize in the composition or would you make a second asset file already resize and then use that on a composition.   Example would be a logo splash initially created at 1080 but is needed now for a lo-res reason.  Would you use the 1080 in your lo-res composition or would you recreate the 1080 to a lo res and use that on the composition.

thanks

• 4. Re: Render items prior to a main render

Hey thanks but I am very new to understanding the terms you are using....but its great that you are using them.   I will use these as keywords for searching for some knowledge.

thanks again!

• 5. Re: Render items prior to a main render
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Would you use one asset file and resize in the composition or would you make a second asset file already resize and then use that on a composition.   Example would be a logo splash initially created at 1080 but is needed now for a lo-res reason. 

I presume you're talking about creating a Standard-Definition version, using High-Definition footage.  Don't worry about a render time hit with that workflow -- it's fine.

Now, If you were using 4K footage in an SD comp over and over again, doing such a thing might be helpful.  Downscaling is more for things like a 20,000 x 20,000 still in an SD comp, and you have no plans to use the Ken-Burns-style zoom-in treatment.  It's helpful in that instance.