3 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2007 1:36 PM by Greg Dove

Capture audio with microphone and save to disk

jcavardfromneta
      Hello,

I would like to know if there is any way to record audio from user's output? Let's say I capture it using its microphone, and I want to create an audio file with it, or a swf file or whatever file it is. I need to save that audio for further playback. Can someone point me in any direction!? I have been surfing on this topic but I didn't find anything, apparently it can't be done, but I would love otherwise.

Thank you,

JCA
        • 1. Capture audio with microphone and save to disk
          Greg Dove Level 4
          You can't do this in flash. You can do it with Flash Media Server and flash.

To clarify: Flash media server can save the audio on the server. You can't save it on the client side.
          • 2. Re: Capture audio with microphone and save to disk
            jcavardfromneta Level 1
            I just read an article on FMS, it's whooping expensive (4.500$US).

Can you just tell me I understand well, let's say USER_1 visits mysite.com , on that site, there is a flash application that capture USER_1's audio using his microphone, then it save that audio file onto mysite.com server and after that it can be accessible from evertwhere just using a movieclip that would load the audio file?

thanks a lot for the help, it's really appreciated!

JCA
            • 3. Re: Capture audio with microphone and save to disk
              Greg Dove Level 4
              Yes that's the way it could work. FMS is designed for streaming audio, video and data around keeping things synchronised in real time, but it can save the streams to be played back later as well.
              It would be an expensive solution if that's all you want to do.... there is an open source 'version' in development... called red5, but I think you need to know how to program in java, although I'm not sure.

Or you could look at adobe connect/formerly macromedia breeze - It prebuilt and is a pay for use service, but does much more than what you're looking for. I'm pretty sure you can custom logo it etc. You might want to try the free trial account and check it out.