5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2014 12:11 PM by A.T. Romano

pixelated pictures in slide show

mechof3 Level 1

I am making a slide show.  I have good clear pictures, but when I push play or watch it they become pixelated.

• 1. Re: pixelated pictures in slide show
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mechof3

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Let us back up for a moment, what are you using to create this slideshow - Elements Organizer Create Slideshow Slideshow Editor or just the Premiere Elements workspace?

As we dig deeper for the whys, answers are needed for

a. What is the project preset for the Premiere Elements project involved?

b. What are the pixel dimensions of the pictures and how many of them are there?

When you say

I have good clear pictures, but when I push play or watch it they become pixelated

where are you doing this play back? And, if in Premiere Elements, is there a red or orange line over the Timeline content that you are playing back in the Edit area monitor?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: pixelated pictures in slide show
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, before you play your timeline, you'll need to render it (by pressing Enter).

Second, do remember that you're working in video resolution, not photo resolution. So your end product is never going to be as clear as your original photos -- as we discuss in this article.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0

• 3. Re: pixelated pictures in slide show
              mechof3 Level 1

Hi Steve,

I did render it and it did not help. Would the Elements Photoshop work better for just a picture show?  I have a Mac and iphoto made a clear show, but I use Elements when I need to make a DVD.

Sent from Eric

• 4. Re: pixelated pictures in slide show
                mechof3 Level 1

Hello,

I am using Elements 12 on a Mac using the 10.8.5 OS. I AM USING THE premier Elements Editor. I have about 142 pictures and I am using them to make a year end slide show. I have transitions between each picture, but this problem was there before I added them. I have an orange line running below the timeline and a yellow one above the picture tiles themselves.

Sent from Eric

• 5. Re: pixelated pictures in slide show
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Eric

Thank you for the helpful additional information.

I am still not sure what the pixel dimensions of your photos are, so there is always the quality expectation versus "that is the best DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc can offer because of the industry standardized format. But, you do mention work from another program which is giving you better results for DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc.

So, in the name of trying to get better for your Premiere Elements slideshow destined for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen, then I would suggest the following

a. Start with photos not to exceed 2200 x 1238 16:9 pixels The project preset is going to be a 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 progressive frames. Not to worry. There is a method to this.

b. Open Premiere Elements project to the Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

(I know that you are working on Mac, but I am not sure if it is set up for NTSC or PAL. For now, I will assume NTSC.)

Change the project preset to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Before you exit that area, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Preset on This Project".

c. Back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/ Project Assets to import your photos into the project.

It is normal for you to have an orange line over the Timeline in this case. So, to get the best possible preview of what you are seeing in the Edit area monitor, press the Render button above the Timeline. Do your photos look sharper and better than before you started the suggested workflow?

d. Typically the disc menus present "poorly" in Disc Menu Preview, so not to worry about that for now.

e. The moment of truth will come when you look at the end product on your TV player.

I would suggest

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

disc

with Presets for NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

If you want to talk about taking the same Timeline to AVCHD format on DVD disc, we can do that next.

Please review and consider and let us know the results. The answers will be in the details. So please include all information for us to help you.

Thanks.

ATR