1 2 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2014 6:12 PM by A.T. Romano

Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD

Lou216 Level 1

I have had Premier Elements for a year, but have not used it so I know zero about how to use it.  I sent old movies to a company to have them scanned.  After doing so, I got conflicting information from that company about being able to edit the movies with PE. One person said I would have to "unzip" the files first, yet another person said I would have to order "raw files" which are so big I would have to order them to be sent on an external hard drive ($199 extra!).  I just got a clarification from them and some of  their reply is following:

That is, the DVD's we provide you are not copyright protected. So, you will be able to copy them on to your computer and edit it. However, for editing video files you will need a ripping software.

Please make use of any of the following ripping software's to copy the files on your hard drive. After ripping the video files you need to save them in MPEG format.

When you have saved them in MPEG format you'll be able to edit them as you like.

1) Avidemux (Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Windows)
      2) Blender VSE (Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Windows)
      3) VideoLan Movie Creator (VLMC) (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)
      4) Lightworks (Windows and Linux; Mac OS X versions in the making)
      5) Kdenlive
      6) Jahshaka (CineFX)

Does this sound correct?  I don't know what "ripping" means and what kind of "ripping software" should I use?  I will be keeping these files on an external hard drive and then plan to import to Premier Elements.  So, do I "rip" them before copying or moving to my external HD?

Any help in language that this Premier Elements dummy can understand will be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou216

We can take all the "mystic" out of the project. But, what version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

Besides that,

When you put your DVD disc in the DVD burner tray of your computer and explore the DVD, what do you see...is there a folder names VIDEO_TS? And, if you double click the VIDEO_TS to open it, can you find a file named VTS_01_1.VOB? If yes, then we are ready to go.

Once I have the above information, I will give you a step by step for ripping (extracting) the video files (VOBs) from the DVD-VIDEO format represented in the VIDEO_TS Folder, provided you do have a VIDEO_TS Folder on your DVD disc.

This will be easier than you think. But, some factors to consider....Is the quality on the DVD disc good to begin with? And, does your version of Premiere Elements recognize your burner and the brand/type DVD disc that you use?

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
            Lou216 Level 1

ATR - I have Premier Elements 11; Version 11.0 (20120830.r.32025) and my OS is Windows 8 (I have NOT upgraded to 8.1).

Inserted DVD> double-click Computer> single-click DVD RW Drive> Single VIDEO_TS folder> there are lots of folders and, yes, I have VTS_01_1.VOB.  I also have VTS_02_0.VOB; VTS_02_1.VOB; VTS_02_2.VOB; VTS_02_3.VOB; VTS_02_4.VOB; and VTS_02_4.VOB as well as other non VOB folders.

I received a DVD with scanned movies November 2013 and chatted with Adobe at that time because I was not able to view the videos on my DVD, nor did I have any idea what to do.  The tech got on my laptop and did some "magic" which I couldn't follow, ending up with a VIDEO_TS folder on my Desktop.  He said I could copy this folder to my external HD and could import to Premier Elements and edit.  I don't believe I did anything, because I wanted to look at the Elements tutorials first.  I still was not able to view the videos after he put the VIDEO_TS folder on my Desktop, so he did some more "magic" and I think he downloaded a VLC Media Player folder on my desktop, enabling me to see the videos.

Please let me know if I left anything out or an unclear.  THANKS!

• 3. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Editing... or Ripping a VOB to edit using a note from Jim Simon

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322647

• 4. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou216

Let us see what we have.

The VIDEO_TS could represent DVD-VIDEO standard or DVD-VIDEO widescreen. So, unless you know which one, we will guess to start.

Let us go with DVD-VIDEO standard for now.

Open Premiere Elements 11 to its Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings. Change the project preset to

NTSC

DV Standard

Before you close out of that area, you will see the new project dialog. Make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" before exiting that area.

Now, back in the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, go to Add Media/DVD Camera or Computer Drive/Video Importer. In Video Importer dialog

• Make sure the Source: is directed to the drive in which your DVD disc is inserted.
                • Make sure that you have designated a Save In: location (change this location for each new DVD from which you are ripping the video files VOBs) ...right now we are dealing with one DVD disc with a VIDEO_TS Folder.
                • Select the video file(s) in the Video Importer (look for VTS_01_1.VOB, have a check mark next to Add to Timeline, and click Get Media to get them into the opened Premiere Elements project.. It is possible to have also VTS_02_1.VOB and other of this kind in series. More later. We will dig deeper into all this as we progress. Focus now is the video file VTS_01_1.VOB.

Once you get your video file (VOB) into Project Assets, right click its thumbnail there, select Properties, and then tell us what it says for frame size, frame rate, and pixel aspect ratio. Depending on what it says for pixel aspect ratio, we will change the project preset that we set at the beginning from NTSC DV Standard to NTSC DV Widescreen.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou216

Just a reminder that what I have described is specific for Premiere Elements user and what I believe will give you the results you seek.

ATR

• 6. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                    Lou216 Level 1

ATR - I hope I can explain this.  I did not start following your directions yet because I viewed some of the VIDEO_TS folders and I believe the scanning company, ScanCafe, set up the DVD to be viewed on TV with a DVD player.  The reason I think this is because VTS_01_1.VOB is a 19 second video showing graphics advertising ScanCafe with music background

VTS_01_0.VOB is a 2:03 minute video(152,536KB) with music and options to "Play All" or "Main Menu," but they do not respond when I click on them or double-click.

I sent several reels of 8mm film to be scanned, but ScanCafe just ran these reels together.  VTS_02_1.VOB is a 14:12 minute video (1,048,544KB) which starts out at the first reel they scanned.

VTS_02_2.VOB is a 14:12 minute video (1,048,544KB)

VTS_02_3.VOB is a 14:12 minute video (1,048,544KB)

VTS_02_4.VOB is a 14:12 minute video (1,048,544KB)

VTS_02_5.VOB is the final 2:44 minute video (202,392KB)

ScanCafe ran all reels together and are apparently putting videos in VOB folder based on a maximum size of 1,048,544KB.

My guess is that rather than selecting VTS_01_1.VOB in the Video Importer, I should select either VTS_02_1.VOB by itself, or select all 5 VTS_02 videos.  Is that correct?

• 7. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou216

The VTS_01_1.VOB is just the first of a series of video files in the VIDEO_TS Folder. If there are more than just that one, then explore the others to determine where the video is that you seek.

This relates to what I wrote back in post 4

Select the video file(s) in the Video Importer (look for VTS_01_1.VOB, have a check mark next to Add to Timeline, and click Get Media to get them into the opened Premiere Elements project.. It is possible to have also VTS_02_1.VOB and other of this kind in series. More later. We will dig deeper into all this as we progress. Focus now is the video file VTS_01_1.VOB.

Based on your latest report, I would suggest going through the VTS_02_ series to find the video that you seek and then dealing with each VTS_02_1.VOB to VTS_02_5.VOB separately. More on that later.

Please let us know if you are OK with the information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                        Lou216 Level 1

ATR - The actual videos I want are the 5 videos VTS_02_1.VOB through VTS_02_5.VOB.  I will follow the directions you sent for the VTS_02.1.VOB folder first and will get back to you regarding the frame size, frame rate, and pixel aspect rate.

Lou

• 9. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                          Lou216 Level 1

ATR - I got to the point where the video is in the Project Assets box at the top-left corner of the screen.  However, nothing happens when I right-click on it, nor when I left-click or double-click.

Lou

• 10. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD

The link I provided in reply #3 has more information about editing VOB files from Bill Hunt... well worth reading

• 11. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                              Lou216 Level 1

JTS - Read the Bill Hunt article "DVD - VCB Files - The Lowdown" and, in fact, read it twice.  What he is saying is way above my comprehension.  I'm not sure how this forum works, so you trying to help my along with ATR?

I got to the point in ATR's instructions where the video shows in the Project Assets box, but it doesn't look like my pointer is recognizing that box and nothing happens when I right-click.  Any advice for this novice?

Thanks,

Lou

• 12. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                Lou216 Level 1

ATR - I may have found the information you needed.  I went near the bottom of the screen to the Video 1 line that has a blue line column half way across my screen.  I right-clicked on ith and got the following information:

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 1024.0 MB

Image Size: 720x480

Frame Rate: 29.97

Total Duration: 00.19:51:18

Average Data Rate: 879KB/second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.9091

Does this give you the information you wanted?

Thanks,

Lou

• 13. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou216

Looks like your are progressing. Great. Please review the instructions again to make sure that there are no missing steps from the beginning to the appearance of the VOB file in Project Assets.

Open Premiere Elements 11 to its Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings. Change the project preset to

NTSC

DV Standard

Before you close out of that area, you will see the new project dialog. Make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" before exiting that area.

Now, back in the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, go to Add Media/DVD Camera or Computer Drive/Video Importer. In Video Importer dialog

• Make sure the Source: is directed to the drive in which your DVD disc is inserted.
                                  • Make sure that you have designated a Save In: location (change this location for each new DVD from which you are ripping the video files VOBs) ...right now we are dealing with one DVD disc with a VIDEO_TS Folder.
                                  • Select the video file(s) in the Video Importer (look for VTS_01_1.VOB, have a check mark next to Add to Timeline, and click Get Media to get them into the opened Premiere Elements project.. It is possible to have also VTS_02_1.VOB and other of this kind in series. More later. We will dig deeper into all this as we progress. Focus now is the video file VTS_01_1.VOB.

Once you get your video file (VOB) into Project Assets, right click its thumbnail there, select Properties, and then tell us what it says for frame size, frame rate, and pixel aspect ratio. Depending on what it says for pixel aspect ratio, we will change the project preset that we set at the beginning from NTSC DV Standard to NTSC DV Widescreen.

If all the steps are accounted for, then

a. Could you post a screenshot of the opened Project Assets to show the VOB file there? What is the name of the file and its duration that appear at the bottom of the Thumbnail.

Please stop there and let me know what is happening. We might consider starting a new project to see if your result is repeatable.

But, we should do a recap on your computer resources since you are working with large VOB files. Your Premiere Elements 11 is on Windows 8. Is that 64 bit or 32 bit? How much installed and available RAM? How much free hard drive space?

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD

>not sure how this forum works, so you trying to help

This is an OPEN forum, not Adobe support, so we are ALL trying to help

The "main" point of Hunt's article is that "not all VOBs are created equal" and some do not edit well because they are not just "plain" video... they contain other elements that get in the way of editing

The last part of that link is a note from Jim Simon about a program to RIP your VOB files and create files that are easier to edit

• 15. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                      Lou216 Level 1

ATR - I double-checked and I did follow your directions the first time.  The file name is VTS_02_1.VOB and the duration is 00:19:51:18.  Screenshot below

PE screenshot.png

• 16. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                        Lou216 Level 1

Thanks, JTS.  I need all the help I can get

• 17. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                          Lou216 Level 1

Sorry, forgot to answer your questions.

Windows 8, 64 bit.

8GB RAM - 7.88GB useable

C: drive is 134GB used - 524GB free

I don't use my C: drive for my photos and videos, but use an external HD.

Ext HD 172GB used - 2.55TB free.

Lou

• 18. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou

I did not see your latest post until after I had post my latest post.

Great job. That is exactly the information that we needed. Yes, you are working with standard and not widescreen footage. You can tell that from the Pixel Aspect Ratio which is shown as 0.9091. If you had had widescreen footage, the Pixel Aspect Ratio would have been 1.2121.

That readout is the Properties that I was seeking when you right clicked the thumbnail for the file in Project Assets. Bottom line: we are OK with the instructions setting up the project with the project preset NTSC DV Standard.

When you reported your problem getting to Properties for the thumbnail, were you at where the arrow is pointed in the screenshot?

projassets.jpg

However, it sounds like your right click the footage on the Timeline and selected Show Properties.

video-1.jpg

Whatever the case, you did a great job of getting the information that we needed. But, I am a bit concerned about the unresponsive thumbnail in Project Assets so we may need to look into that more sooner or later.

Now that you have the VOB on the Timeline, if you hit the End key of the computer keyboard, the timecode above the Timeline should read 00;19;51:18 (hours; minutes; seconds; frames) which is the Total Duration listed in Properties. If you hit the Home key of the computer keyboard, the timecode above the Timeline will be 00;00;00;00 (the start of the Timeline).

Did you find an orange line over the Timeline VOB content. Please press the Enter Key of the computer keyboard. Does a Render dialog pop up? Or do you get just playback of the Timeline VOB in the Edit area monitor?

Please let us know where you want to go from here?

a. Take segments of each DVD into one project with destination DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc.

b. Other.

If other, then you might want to review and consider the following.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

You might also want to explore mini test runs for procedures before the grand project.

Looking forward to your progress. Sounding good. The VOB files that we are dealing with should be easy enough to edit.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                              Lou216 Level 1

ATR - When I had the problem getting to Properties for the thumbnail I was at the spot of you arrow on the screenshot.

Rather than hitting the END key as you directed, I missed that and went to the the next paragraph and hit the ENTER key, which started playback of the video in the monitor area.  I didn't get a Render dialog popup. I noticed that I had missed the previous paragraph of your instructions, so I had the video go back to the start (didn't know exactly how to stop it and was afraid to hit ESC) and then when I hit the END key the time code above timeline went from 00-00-00-00 to 00-00-00-01 and advance 1 every time I hit the END key.  When I hit the HOME key it didn't go back to zeros, but decreased the time by 1 every time.  That is, 00-00-00-04 went to 00-00-00-03.

The first thing I would like to do is to separate and combine the 5 videos files into videos by subject.  For example, let's say the 5 VOB files have videos from Germany, Florida, and Kentucky.  If the Germany videos are on the VTS_02_1.VOB and on half of VTS_02_2.VOB, I want to add the 2.VOB Germany video to the 1.VOB and save it as one file that I will get into editing after I have watched a bunch of tutorials.  I would then put all of the Florida videos together as one file and put the Kentucky videos together and the final file.

After I learn to edit and add audio, yes, I would like to burn to DVDs to give to family.

Since I messed up by hitting the ENTER before seeing what happens when I hit END and HOME, is there something I should do now to check that out?

Really, really appreciating your help!

Lou

• 20. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou

I think that some of our messages got out of sync, but they are just about caught up.

Just some miscellaneous

a. VIdeo Track. You can get 4 different displays for your VOB on the Timeline. To do that, you toggle the filmstrip icon to the left of the video track name...with those repeated single clicks, you can get

.....all thumbnails appearing in the Timeline clip

.....one thumbnail just at the beginning

.....one thumbnail just at the end

.....no thumbnail, just a horizontal line

Audio Track. You can get 2 different displays for audio on the Timeline. To do that, you toggle the speaker icon to the left of the audio track name...with those repeated single clicks, you can get

.....waveform type

.....just horizontal line

b. I just noticed that your VOB does not have an audio portion linked to it on Audio 1. Is this VOB supposed to have sound associated with it. If so, we have a problem. On rate occasions, audio out of sync can be a problem with some VOB ripping, but I have never VOB ripping result in no sound extracted in the process. So, I am hoping for the good news that your VOBs do not have sound portion.

More later.

ATR

• 21. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                  Lou216 Level 1

Yes, I did get the vertical orange line at the beginning of the timeline and it moved to the right as the video was playing when I hit the ENTER key.

Lou

• 22. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                    Lou216 Level 1

ATR - My video did not have any audio.  Old 8mm movies from the 1960's.  I want to add music to the video after I combine and edit them as best I can.

Lou

• 23. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou

Look like the last 2 posts hit the forum at the same time.

I will be watching for your answers on the audio situation for the VOB that you demo'd in the earlier screenshot.

The blog post mentioned previously should worked well with the project workflow that you envision.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organizatio n-for.html

Before moving forward,

1. Assure that you are getting good quality results as seen in the Edit area monitor when there is no colored line over the Timeline content or a green line over the Timeline content.

2. If you have not already read the blog post mentioned, do a test run. At this time, can you double click the VOB thumbnail in Project Assets and get the Preview Windows to open?

I will be away from the computer for about an hour. When I return, I will check for further messages from you and will suggest what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 24. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou

Just saw the message about no audio linked to the video. Great.

Thanks.

ATR

• 25. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                          Lou216 Level 1

ATR - At the screen below, I double clicked on the VOB thumbnail in Project Assests and nothing happened.  Is that because the project is already in a Preview Windows?  Not sure what you call the window in the middle of the screen with my video.

PE screenshot2.png

At the above screen I hit the ENTER key and the Rendering window opened.  Rendered 35748 Frames and took 3+ minutes.  At the end I wanted to look at the Render Details, but as soon as it finished rendering, the window disappeared and the video started playing.

To get out of this, do I SAVE it or do I SAVE AS?  I want to be able to come back to this project later and try some editing.  I would also like to try to add VTS_02_2.VOB using your directions.

After I start doing some editing I would like to have this original video saved, but would also like to save versions as I preform some edits.  Can you suggest how I should do that?

I know Adobe has some tutorials for PE, but I don't think there is a "Premier Elements for Dummies."  Do you have any suggestions about the best way for a complete novice to learn?  Since I know almost nothing about PE, would their be any benefit in me upgrading from my PE 11 to the new PE 12?

THANKS!

Lou

• 26. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou

You are doing great.

What you have in your screenshot is the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace. You have Project Assets open, you video on the Timeline in the "unrendered state". That orange line over the Timeline content is the program telling you that you do not have the best possible preview of what you are seeing in the Edit area monitor. That is the monitor showing in your screenshot.

To get the best possible preview, you press the Enter key of the computer keyboard. A Render dialog appears and rendering begins. When rendering is finished

a. the orange line over your video will turn green (you are not seeing the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor playback.

(In Edit Menu/Preference/General is an option for the program to "immediately" playback the Timeline after the render. That is the default. If you do not want the automatic playback after this rendering, remove the check mark next to the option.

There will be two possible "monitors" - the one in your screenshot which I refer to as the Edit area monitor. The other is the Preview Windows with its Set In and Set Out points which you get to pop up if

a. You double click the file's thumbnail in Project Assets (this is what we are going to be using as soon as we can figure out why this is not working - I have an idea that I will look into shortly).

b. You double click the file on the Timeline.

Are both these choices not working?

Preview-Window.jpg

I going to be doing road testing of your Project Asset/Thumbnail/Preview Window situation. I will be back in a few hours or less on that.

In the meantime, the following will help you develop the background to get through this project

http://help.adobe.com/archive/en/premiere-elements/11/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organizatio n-for.html

Please review the above.

To be continued...

ATR

Add On...I will also directly target all the questions in your last posts. I will do that within the next few minutes.

• 27. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou

Here is a run down with answers to the questions in your post numbered 25

1. You should be able to double click either the VOB thumbnail in Project Assets OR its copy on the Timeline and get the pop up of the Preview Window (window with the Set In and Set Out points that we are going to use to trim/split the VOB) See my screenshot in post numbered 26.

2. You wrote

Rendered 35748 Frames and took 3+ minutes.  At the end I wanted to look at the Render Details, but as soon as it finished rendering, the window disappeared and the video started playing.

That is normal. Also see my explanation in post numbered 26. What is being played back in the Edit area monitor after the render is the rendered (best preview) playback.

3. You wrote

To get out of this, do I SAVE it or do I SAVE AS?  I want to be able to come back to this project later and try some editing.  I would also like to try to add VTS_02_2.VOB using your directions.

When you go to close the project, you will be greeted with a pop up that asks if you want to save the project. Click Yes. That will save the project with "up to the minute" edits.

Here is the specific link in the Premiere Elements 11 Help PDF for Saving Projects.

We can talk about this as soon as you read through the Adobe document. At that time we can go through you specific questions after you try to work through the details. Items up for discussion will the AutoSave (See Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave) and Project Archiver (File Menu/Project Archiver/Archiver or Copy option). Key to remember that you project is saved according to what was entered in the new project dialog way back when you set up the project.

3. You wrote

After I start doing some editing I would like to have this original video saved, but would also like to save versions as I preform some edits.  Can you suggest how I should do that?

You can always save a copy of a project using File Menu Save A Copy. Also see Adobe document on saving.

You are just going through something new. You have done exceptionally well so far so do not unestimate your skills.

I wanted to develop a recipe type approach and then fill in the color as you felt comfortable with the tasks.

Right now my biggest problem is trying to figure out why you are not bringing up the Preview Window with your double clicks.

There is where I am heading for now - road testing of that.

More later.

ATR

• 28. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                                Lou216 Level 1

ATR - I went to dinner and don't have any time to work on this tonight.  Tomorrow I will be out of town all day, so won't get back to you until Thursday.  I think I will have time to read some of the information you sent me, so I printed out the following from the Help and Tutorials link you sent:

Workspace

Creating a project

Saving and backing up projects

Project settings and presets

Viewing a project's files

Viewing clip properties

Undoing changes

I Saved my video in PE (it didn't ask me where I wanted to Save it), got out of PE, and powered off my laptop before I went to dinner.

Hope to chat with you Thursday!

Thanks again!

Lou

• 29. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou

Thanks for the update.

Until Thursday or when you get the time.

I will be doing my homework to see what could be preventing the Preview Window from opening when you double click the VOB in Project Assets.

ATR

• 30. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                                    Lou216 Level 1

ATR - Regarding your 27 I have some good news.  I opened my existing project and opened the Project Assets window.  Clicked on the Video 1 and the Preview Window opened.  Also, I right-clicked on the Video 1 in the Project Assets window and I now get the drop-down menu.  Don't know why it works now now why it didn't work before, but I'm happy!

I hit ENTER and it started rendering.  After it finished Rendering I now have the green line above my timeline.  The Video 1 in the timeline still has the orange line near the bottom of that row.

• 31. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                                      Lou216 Level 1

ATR - Re: your 26 a & b, when I double-click on the file thumbnail in the Project Assets and when I double-click on the file in the Timeline, both open the Preview Window.

LOu

• 32. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                                        Lou216 Level 1

ATR - Re: 26, I went to Edit>Preferences> General and unchecked "Play work area after rendering previews."

Lou

• 33. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou

Thanks for the update. Great news. I think that we are on a clear course to success. Thinking very positive thoughts.

The next step for you is to be able to take each of those DVDs, pick and choose what you want from each, and then get them into one grand project for the burn to.

But, first, you need to make sure that you are OK with the details of gathering and organizing the assets that will be from the first DVD. So, I would ask at this point "Have you read and understand the how to for the blog post

If not, I will go over the details step by step.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 34. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                                            Lou216 Level 1

ATR - I have read the blog a couple of times and semi-understand it.  I have the one video that I have imported into PE, so I suppose I will first need to import the 4 videos at some point.  One question first:  Will I be able to put more than one completed video on a DVD, assuming the files are not too big?

Video 1 - (a) I have movies from Germany and France that I want as one video.  (b) Has home movies from Washington DC, KY, & MA, but I'm not sure if I want to keep them together, plus adding some more home movies from Video 2, or to break them up into some separate videos.

Video 2 - (a) Has more home movies from various locations. (b) Has movies I took with friends that I want to break out as a separate video. (c) Has some Concord, MA, videos that I want to combine with some more Concord, MA, videos on Video 3.

Video 3 - (a) Concord, MA, videos that I want to combine with the Video 2 Concord, MA, video. (b) More home movies from various locations that I do not know if I want to make them separate videos or to combine with other home movies on Video 1 and Video 2. (c) Camping trip with kids that I want to combine with the rest of the trip on Video 4.

Video 4 - Camping trip with kids to combine with same trip on Video 3. (b) More home movies from a couple of locations. (c) Florida trip that I want to combine with Video 5.

Video 5 - Florida trip to combine with some of Video 4.

I assume that after I complete making a video of one subject (say, Florida Trip) that I can do editing, adding audio, etc., before completing and burning to DVD, right?  I see editing as being a long learning process for me because these movies are about 50 years old with a lot of deterioration.

Lou

• 35. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou

Just wanted to let you know that I saw your latest post. I will be replying in the morning.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 36. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou

Sorry for the delayed updating to see how you are doing with your project.....

Recap

The following is the suggested workflow if you have a collection of DVD discs, each with DVD-VIDEO format and you want to isolate certain segments of each and combine them into one Premiere Elements project. You can modify the following to fit the level of the complexity and the size of the task.  For now, we are assuming 5 DVD discs, each with numerous VOBs representing the video files.

Your DVD1 contains 5 video files named VTS_02_1.VOB, VTS_02_2.VOB, VTS_02_3.VOB, VTS_02_4.VOB, and VTS_02_5.VOB. Insert that disc into the DVD burner tray.

1. Open Premiere Elements to its Expert workspace and go to File Menu/New/Project to set manually the project preset = NTSC DV Standard.
                                                                                2. Go to Add Media/”DVD camera or computer drive”/Video Importer where you will see thumbnails for  files from your DVD1 disc.
                                                                                3. In the Video Importer
                                                                                • Click on Uncheck All to do just that
                                                                                • Presets = File Name
                                                                                • Name (ignore in this case)
                                                                                • Check mark next to “Add to Timeline”
                                                                                • Save In: DVD1 Folder in My Videos

(This DVD1 Folder is created by clicking on the folder icon to the far right of the Video Importer's Save In field. This will bring up the Browse for Folder dialog (then navigate - Libraries/Videos/My Videos where you click on the new folder option to create the DVD1 Folder where copies of your VTS files will be saved)

In the Video Importer, click on Get Media which will import your selected VTS files into the Premiere Elements project into both Project Assets and the Timeline. DELETE the files that are found on the Timeline. You want to end up with just the 4 VTS files in Project Assets.

In Project Assets create a folder named DVD1. In Project Assets, double click the first file, VTS_02_1.VOB  to bring up the Preview Window with its Set In and Set Out points. The trims as subclips for VTS-02_1.VOB (what you want to keep) will go into the DVD1 Folder in Project Assets.

Repeat the process for each of the remaining VTS files, dragging the subclips into that same DVD1 Folder in Project Assets. (After finishing with all 5 VOBs for DVD1, if you want to delete the original VTS files outside the DVD1 Folder, you can do that to avoid confusion.

Please refer to the techniques described in the blog post

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

If your computer resources cannot handle the above, then do one VTS of DVD1 at a time and, if necessary, extend the grabbing of scenes from the DVD1 to multiple projects.

The use of folder in Project Assets is a major advantage in the organizing and maneuvering. So, please learn the ins and outs of that in Project Assets before you get into the task.

Any questions or clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Looking forward to learning of your progress when you get the time.

Thanks.

ATR

• 37. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                                                  Lou216 Level 1

ATR - Thanks for following up with me.  I've been away and haven't had a chance to follow your instructions.  I feel like I have trouble following the most basic instructions, so I'm sorry if my questions seem so crazy.  I have some questions regarding the start of your directions, as follows:

Your DVD1 contains 5 video files named VTS_02_1.VOB, VTS_02_2.VOB, VTS_02_3.VOB, VTS_02_4.VOB, and VTS_02_5.VOB. Insert that disc into the DVD burner tray. (Back on step 4. on 3/31/14 I put VTS_02_1.VOB into a New Project, but have done almost nothing to it as yet.)

1. Open Premiere Elements to its Expert workspace and go to File Menu/New/Project to set manually the project preset = NTSC DV Standard.  (I went to Open PE>Video Editor>New Project>Expert>File menu>New>Project and a small New Project window opened.  That window has a file name of "My Project" and I assume I could change that to anything I want, such as "Germany."  For the "Save In" it had "C:\Users\Louis\Documents\Adobe|Premier\11.0\."  I save all of my photos in an external hard drive F:| so I assume I should change the "Save In" to a Movies folder on my F:\ drive, correct?  I didn't do that yet.  I clicked on "Change Settings" and set it as NTSC DV Standard.  Unsure of what I was doing, I did NOT click the OK on the New Project window.  On 3/31/14 in step 4. you said to make sure that I have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" before exiting that area.  Should I do that this time?  That's why I did not click on the OK in the New Project window.)
                                                                                  2. Go to Add Media/”DVD camera or computer drive”/Video Importer where you will see thumbnails for  files from your DVD1 disc.  (I did not see this "Add Media," but I assume that is because I did not OK the New Project window.)

This is where I stopped.  At the local library I found "Adobe Premier Elements 10 Classroom In A Book."  I have been reading it, but haven't used the CD with sample procedures that came with the book because I have PE 11, not 10.  I'll see if I can find a similar book/CD online for PE 11.  In addition to helping me with my concerns lited above, could you help with my confusion about Saving videos?

(1) As you noted above, my DVD1 contains 5 video files named VTS_02_1.VOB, VTS_02_2.VOB, VTS_02_3.VOB, VTS_02_4.VOB, and VTS_02_5.VOB.  Should I make a folder in external hard drive "F:\Movies|DVD1" which will contain all 5 VOB videos or should I make a folder for "F:\DVD1\VTS_02_1.VOB" and another folder for "F:\DVD1\VTS_02_2.VOB" and so on?

(2)  If I have the entire VTS_02_1.VOB on my Timeline and I delete the non-Germany clips from it, are the deleted clips simply deleted from my Project, but are still part of my VTS_02_1.VOB file for usage later in another project?

(3) Once I get only the clips from VTS_02_1.VOB that I will use on my "Germany" video, should I then do a "Save As" and name it "Germany"?  I assume that at a later time I could import "Germany" to a New Project and make some edits of quality, add transissions, add audio, etc.

ATR - If I'm asking more of our time than is practical for you, please let me know.  I can't believe I'm asking questions that seem so basic.

Lou

• 38. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                                                    Lou216 Level 1

ATR - Just wondering if you are able to help many any longer?

Lou

• 39. Re: Importing movies that have been scanned to a DVD
                                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lou216

Yes. Always ready to help you move forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

I was away for a few days and have been trying to get caught up ever since. Glad you posted since I am always getting detoured.

Where are you now in your project? Which one of your posts represents best where we are now.

When I last looked at your goal, there was a lot of work to be done and organization strategy decided on.

ATR

1 2 Previous Next