14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2014 2:43 PM by WRABVideo

Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?

WRABVideo

I have a Panasonic camera which records HD videos on SDHC cards.  Recently, I recorded an event on more than one card.  When I went to download the clips into the computer for editing, I saw that the clip names on both cards were identical.  The computer asked me if I wanted to overwrite the older clips.  I asked Panasonic if there was a setting to continue the numbering sequence from one card to the other, but they told me it is not possible.  If I allow the computer to rename the clips as 00000 (1) and 00000 (2), etc., then the clips will be out of the order in which they were recorded.

My question is: does Premiere Elements sort the video clips by clip name or time code when imported into the project folder?

Bob Bonardi

• 1. Re: Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

WRABVideo

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with and on what computer operating system is it running?

Pending that information, I would give you a generalized Premiere Elements 12 Windows response

Project Assets will display thumbnails according to its Panel Options/Sort By which gives 2 choices

a. File Name (ascending)

or

b. Duration (ascending)

As an aside, best name and order your assets in a folder before import into Premiere Elements, followed by import of the whole folder into Project Assets from where the whole folder is dragged to the Timeline to present the folder contents sequentially sorted. Another approach is to order the assets in the Elements Organizer in the Album feature.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?
            WRABVideo Level 1

I'm using Version 12.1 of Elements on a computer running Windows 7 Professional.

Here's the situation.  This past weekend, I recorded an event covering two days.  I used a different SDHC card for each day, but I did not reset the time code counter or the clip counter on the camera for the second day.  When I downloaded the second card into the computer (not Elements) into the same folder as the first card, I saw that the clip names had been reset by the camera starting at 0000.  If I didn't interrupt the process, the previous day's clips would have been overwritten.  I created a separate folder for the second card and downloaded the clips into there. Before importing a total of 90 clips into Elements, I had to rename the first day's clips (5 of them) so that they could be integrated into the whole project.  I contacted Panasonic about this problem, and they told me that the clip numbering sequence cannot be carried over from one card to another.

By the way, as a practice, I don't erase the SDHC card until the project is completed.

If I did not rename the first day's clips, would Elements have sorted all 90 of them by their time code and not their clip name, and displayed them in the Assets panel in the order I shot them?

My main concern is that, in the future, where I may have 90-100 clips on each card, will Elements be able to organize all of them into one project?  If not, then my alternative would be to treat each set of clips as a separate project, edit it, save it as an MPEG file, and import that file into another project in the same way as Premiere Pro works with sequences.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Bob Bonardi

• 3. Re: Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

WRABVideo

See if any of the following observations are to be elaborated on....

On the Premiere Elements 12 side of things..Using Folders In Project Assets

Given 18 files with names CIMG0023 to CIMG0042 on Memory Card 1.

The file naming from the camera reflects the sequence (time/date) in which the files were recorded.

Memory Card 1 is oldest batch. CIMG0023 oldest file and CIMG0042 newest file.

(I suspect the naming is involved rather than a read of any timecode.)

Given 18 files with names CIMG0024 to CIMG0042 on Memory Card 2

The file naming from the camera reflects the sequence (time/date) in which the files were recorded.

Memory Card 2 is the newest batch. CIMG0023 oldest file and CIMG0042 newest file.

(Again, I suspect that the naming is involved rather than a read of any timecode.)

The 18 files from Memory Card 1 are transferred to Memory Card 1 Folder on the computer desktop.

The 18 files from Memory Card 2 are transferred to Memory Card 2 Folder on the computer desktop.

Premiere Elements 12 Project Assets offers 2 Sort By: choices, Name or Duration. Duration is going to help here.

So we leave the Project Assets Sort by = Name.

(a) Import both Memory Card 1 Folder and Memory Card 2 Folder (as whole folders) into Premiere Elements 12 with its Add Media Files and Folders/Project Assets. In Project Assets both folders can be opened or closed there.

(b) Test of speciality. You can open Memory Card 1 Folder in Project Assets and drag its CIMG0023 file to the Timeline. You can open Memory Card 2 Folder in Project Assets and drag its CIMG0023 file to the Timeline. Now, if you right click the Timeline’s CIMG0023 (Memory Card 1) and select Reveal in Project, it will highlight the CIMG0023 in the Memory Card 1 Folder in Project Assets. In a similar fashion, if you right click the Timeline’s CIMG0023 (Memory Card 2) and select Reveal in Project, it will highlight the CIMG0023 in the Memory Card 2 Folder in Project Assets.

Elements Organizer Side of Things..Using Folder Approach

The Elements Organizer offers Sort By choices of Oldest, Newest, Import Batch. I selected Oldest.

When I import the contents of Memory Card 1 Folder and Memory Card 2 Folder into the Elements Organizer set with Sort By: Oldest, the 36 files will display in the Elements Organizer in a date time sequence even though we are dealing with 18 duplicated file names underneath all this.

In the left of the Elements Organizer space will be a column with "My Folders" which will be in this example Memory Card 1 Folder and Memory Card 2 Folder. An Elements Organizer Album is best created for each and that used for the command "Edit with Premiere Elements Editor" in order to assure the wanted ordering of the files once in Premiere Elements Timeline. Creation of folders in the Project Assets or organizational purposes would be encouraged.

The interesting thing is that Premiere Elements Reveal In Media for the TImeline file knows which of the duplicated named file to trace to.

Please review and consider the above. Determine if any of it gets you closer to your goals.

If you have questions or need clarification on any of this time, please let me know. The above represents my actual road testing of what I wrote.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?
                WRABVideo Level 1

Thank you.  The most logical solution appears to be to import the entire folder rather than individual files into the Project Assets folder.  I'll give it a try.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob Bonardi

• 5. Re: Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Bonardi

Thanks for taking a look at the suggestions.

It will be interesting to learn if they worked for you.

Looking forward to your follow up when you get the chance.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?
                    WRABVideo Level 1

FYI.  I just did a test video importing a few clips from two cards into two sample folders.  I then imported both folders into a project and dragged like-named clips into the timeline.  They functioned perfectly.  Apparently the timeline looks at the time code and not the clip name.

Thank you again for all your help.

Bob Bonardi

• 7. Re: Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Bonardi

Thanks for the follow up with the good news.

Much appreciated learning of your results. They will be very helpful to others in a situation as the one you faced. Good job.

ATR

• 8. Re: Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?
                        WRABVideo Level 1

Mr. Romano,

Thank you for all the help you've been giving me with problems related to my Premiere Elements 12 issues.  Now, I have another question regarding audio transitions.

When I insert a video transition, I'm given the option of inserting it in the left clip, between clips, or the right clip.  I normally choose the "between clips" option.  When I try to do the same for audio transitions, the clip positioning is grayed out and the transition jumps to the left clip.  I then have to drag the transition manually across the two clips.  Is this a problem with the software, or is this option not available for audio transitions?

Thanks again,

Bob Bonardi

WRAB Video

Freehold, New Jersey

• 9. Re: Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Bonardi

Thanks for the follow up. What you describe is a program glitch which I have written about and mentioned best way to deal with it.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-audio-transitions-problem.html

Please review and then let us know if that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?
                            WRABVideo Level 1

Mr. Romano,

I read the article and tried it out.  It worked to the point where the audio transition remained between the clips by clicking on the "X" instead of "Done", but it wouldn't work if I tried to change the duration of the transition.

Hopefully, Adobe will develop a fix for this problem and include it in one of their updates.

Thanks,

Bob Bonardi

WRAB Video

• 11. Re: Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Bonardi

Thanks for the reply and for looking into the comments.

Where are you changing the duration of the audio transition?

ATR

• 12. Re: Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?
                                WRABVideo Level 1

I have the default duration of both video and audio transitions set at 2 seconds.  Occasionally, I need to reduce it to 1 second for a different look at one point in the video.

Bob Bonardi

WRAB Video

• 13. Re: Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Bonardi

Just a thought for you to explore if you have not already.

If your Audio Transition Default Duration is set at 2 seconds in preferences and you want a Between Clips aligned/1 second Audio Transition from time to time on that TImeline in that project, have you looked at

a. in the Transition Adjustment pop up, set duration for 1 second and click Done. That will get you the Left Clip/1 second Audio Transition.

b. then, with the mouse cursor, move this audio transition to the right to make it a Between Clips aligned/1 second Audio Transition.

ATR

• 14. Re: Does Premiere Elements sort clips by their clip names or their time code?
                                    WRABVideo Level 1

Thanks, that is what I do now.  Before you told me about clicking on the X 

instead of Done, that is what I had to do with all the audio transitions 

regardless of duration.

Bob Bonardi

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Droid