4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2014 10:47 PM by Laubender

Pen Tool, add new point keeps previous point selected?

Gaurki Level 1

This has bugged me immensely ever since the new versions of inDesign adopted this habit, is there a work-around?

Say I want to make a customly shaped frame around a photo that's imported in the standard rectangle shape and I don't want it to be a circle, rounded rectangle, or polygon that I can simply "convert shape" to. I could try editing the path with the pencil tool but typically that will create 100+ anchor points of vector disaster.

What I used to do in CS2, CS3, CS4 is grab the handy pen tool, add a point  and  move it where I want with the direct selection tool by simply holding CMD (ctrl).

But now, (not sure if it started in CS5, CS5.5, or CS6) when I add a new point it keeps the previous points selected. Rubbish, now I can't move the new point where I want it without moving the previous however many I created. And there's no simple 1-click method of only selecting the point I just made (that I know of). Re-clicking with the direct selection tool does nothing and clicking other selected points does not deselect them.

So in order to move the point I just made, by itself, I have to deselect all points then reselect the point I want to move, which is really tricky if it's under other objects.

Does anyone know how to have ONLY the new point selected when I add a point? Or even have no points selected so I can easily CMD+click the ones I want to move?

• 1. Re: Pen Tool, add new point keeps previous point selected?
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you use the Pen tool, or the Add Anchor Point tool?

I would suggest first selecting the Add Anchor Point tool (shortcut: =). Then deslect all (edit>deselect all; there's a default shortcut which I can't remember as I changed it to F3 a long time ago). Then go right in and click the point on your frame where you want to add an anchor point.

Only the anchor point will then be selected and nothing else.

Just tried it in CS6.

• 2. Re: Pen Tool, add new point keeps previous point selected?
            Gaurki Level 1

The Pen tool becomes the Add Anchor Point tool when  held it over the line in an existing shape. So yes, I use the add anchor point tool to add the points. If you have deselected-all (CMD+SHIFT+A by default) the first point you add will be selected only (yay). But after moving it and adding the next point it keeps the first one selected, so I can't move the new one by itself yet. So I would have to do a deselect-all between add each anchor point, which incidentally also hides the line I'm trying to edit unless I have the annoying "show frame edges" toggled on, showing every line in the document.

• 3. Re: Pen Tool, add new point keeps previous point selected?
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It looks like what is needed is some way to deselect all the points on a selected object, while keeping the object itself selected.

Using the built-in InDesign tools, the way to do that would seem to be: switch to the direct selection white arrow tool (by pressing CMD) as you have been doing. Click anywhere on the path of the object. This clears all selected points while keeping the object selected. Now release CMD to get back to the Pen tool, and add your point.

If this is too fiddly (it can be tricky to click on the path itself, although the white arrow changes subtely to show you that you're over the path), you can alternatively use the following one line script:

try {app.selection[0].select()}catch(_){};

This does the same thing: It deselects all selected points on the current page item.

To use, copy this line to a text editor. Save with the extension .jsx and place in your InDesign scripts folder. You can then assign a keyboard shortcut to the script, so that it should be very easy to deselect all the points.

• 4. Re: Pen Tool, add new point keeps previous point selected?
                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Gaurki wrote:

But now, (not sure if it started in CS5, CS5.5, or CS6) when I add a new point it keeps the previous points selected.

@Gaurki – I want to add:

I can observe this even in CS3 (CS4,CS5 and CS5.5 as well).
                Cannot remember, if it was different in CS2.

@Ariel – cool!

Your script snippet is working extremely well. :-)
                Thank you for sharing…

Uwe