6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2014 2:54 PM by A.T. Romano

preview/play

aln

I can't figure out how to preview/play my clips when I'm in the midst of editing. When I push the little play button nothing happens. Any insights??

• 1. Re: preview/play
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

1. First, what version of PrE are you using?
          2. What OS version are you running it on?
          3. What Edit Mode are you using, such as Expert, or Quick (for later versions), or Sceneline, or Timeline (earlier versions)?
          4. Have you dragged the Clips to the Timeline, or are you in the Source Monitor?
          5. Does the Spacebar not play the Timeline for you?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: preview/play
            aln Level 1

Thanks for you help, Bill!

1. PrE 12

2. Mac OS X 10.6.8

3. I've tried both Expert and Quick and it doesn't work in either.

4. I'm 99% sure they're in the Timeline. But, I don't know what the Source Monitor is. Could you help me out on that one?

5. Spacebar does not play it for me.

• 3. Re: preview/play
              aln Level 1

Do I need to "Render" my clips in order to preview?

• 4. Re: preview/play
                A.T. Romano Level 7

aln

Thanks for your helpful information.

Premiere Elements 12 Mac

Problem: Wanting to know how to play back the Timeline content in the Edit area Monitor.

Be it Premiere Elements 12 Mac or Windows or an earlier version of Premiere Elements, I have no idea what Hunt is referring to with "Source Monitor".

There is one main monitor in the Edit area. And, then there is a Preview Window with its Set In and Set Out points which can be used for trimming (splitting) your video. Hunt may be referring to the main monitor versus the Preview Window. Do you want to trim your video or just preview it in the main monitor?

If you want to enter the Preview Window for trimming or other, you can double click the clip on the Timeline or in the Project Assets area.

Please review the following Adobe document on Premiere Elements previewing movies and then let us know if we are targeting your questions.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS64B7E535-DDDF-4e54-BCB6-7D3EAD039996. html

About "Render". There two types of rendering in Premiere Elements - one to get the best possible preview of what you have on the Timeline - one with render = export. The program provides a color line indicator feature to let you know if you are getting the best possible preview as seen in the main monitor

No color line or green line over the Timeline content = you are getting the best possible preview

Orange line over the Timeline content = you are not getting the best possible preview, so you hit the Render button so that the orange line turns green, indicating you are now getting the best possible preview.

You do not have to do this type of render, but it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. In the orange line over the content state, there are times when the Timeline is so unstable without it that you need it to see what you really have. Lots more details. More later if necessary.

But, what exactly is your issue

a. You press the spacebar or hit the play button of the main monitor and the Timeline Indicator is stuck and you are not getting playback in that main monitor

or

b. Are you simply asking how to bring up the Preview Window for trimming of some clips? Best do that from Project Assets. More on that later also.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: preview/play
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

The Source Monitor is the playback module/monitor, that is invoked when one Dbl-clicks on an AV Asset in the Assets/Project Panel. It provides a way to play the Asset and to also set In & Out Points. When one does set the In & Out Points, and drags from the Source Monitor to the Timeline, an Instance of that original Asset is placed, Trimmed, onto the Timeline. Unlike the GUI in PrPro, the Source Monitor in PrE is a pop-up, separate Panel.

Hope that clarifies the Source Monitor.

Hunt

• 6. Re: preview/play
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Your "Source Monitor" description appears to sound almost like one for the Preview Window in Premiere Elements (going back at least as far as version 4).

Thanks for the clarification so that we know that you were referring to the Premiere Elements Preview Window and not its Edit area monitor.. I had never heard the Premiere Elements Preview Window with it Set In and Set Out point ever referred to as Source Monitor.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organizatio n-for.html

But, on a "guess", I decided to look into what Premiere Pro calls its area with Set In and Set Out points. Sure enough there is our "Source Monitor" name on the Premiere Pro side of things.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/source-monitor-program-monitor.html

The ID has indicated that Premiere Elements 12 is being run on a Mac computer.

ATR