6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2014 2:56 AM by hemanthR

edge animate or dreamweaver or ???

leefromaz Level 1

i'm starting here, but frankly i have no clue where to ask this question.

i have seen images on web pages that change when i mouse over them.  for example, display a picture, but then have a text overlay appear if i mouse over the object.    remove the mouse and the text overlay disappears.

is that something you create in edge animate or dreamweaver?  may seem like a dumb question but i have never created a web page -- and i don't really want to.  i just want to create an "image" -- i can upload to some other web service (like an online photo gallery such as smugmug) that will exhibit the behavior i describe.

1. is dreamweaver of edge animate the way to create this "picture".

2. do i need to have control of the entire web page to make a mouse activated animation work or would this "thing" be a standard type of "picture" supported on photo sharing sites like flikr, picasso, smugmug, etc.

the limit of my skills now is to create an animated GIF in photoshop that cycles the text overlay on and off, but it is out of control of the user.

thanks

Lee

• 1. Re: edge animate or dreamweaver or ???
          hemanthR Adobe Employee

To create a text overlay over  a image on mouse over

You can create it using both Animate or DW. Its a little bit easer to create in Animate

There is no need ot control the entier website

"would this "thing" be a standard type of "picture" supported on photo sharing sites like flikr, picasso, smugmug, etc."

I didnt understand this.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: edge animate or dreamweaver or ???
            leefromaz Level 1

>> I didnt understand this. <<

i'm not surprised.  i'm so far down the learning curve i don't know what question to ask.

i am willing to invest time and energy to learn Animate or DW.  i have never used either and it sounds like Animate might be simpler for my simple task.  what i meant by that question relates to what is the output of Animate or DW?  i know how to upload "images" to a web site (jpg, TIF, GIF).  is the output of animate an "image" or is it some code snippet i have to learn how to integrate into the webite i want to publish to?

did that make sense?

• 3. Re: edge animate or dreamweaver or ???
              justincode Level 1

Personally if you dont know what questions to ask i would head over to youtube for some small tutorials on adobe edge... Spend a few hours looking through them and try to build something simular to your requirements using the examples from the videos.. Trust me.. just have a play around!!!

It wont be long before you start thinking about structure and most importantly.. what questions to ask here..

• 4. Re: edge animate or dreamweaver or ???
                leefromaz Level 1

i guess the real first question was should i be spending those startup hours with adobe edge or dreamweaver.  i will start with adobe edge and see where i end up.  thanks.

• 5. Re: edge animate or dreamweaver or ???
                  justincode Level 1

I dont think it matters where you start but adobe edge will be more than suited for your needs at present and you have one big advantage with edge.. Its a purpose built interface with JQuery... so lots of the technical stuff is hidden away until you need it...

check out udemy.com & skillfeed.com .. they are two great places to hit after your youtube journey..

• 6. Re: edge animate or dreamweaver or ???
                    hemanthR Adobe Employee

To answer your question on Animate output:

Animate will output html and java-script files along with your image,which you will need to integrate with your website code.

1 person found this helpful