5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2014 2:41 PM by lisalip

object styles help

lisalip Level 1

how would I make an object style based on below

it also has a paragraph style set

I have many of these to do and it seems silly to keep punching in the dimensions

I need the style to be 5mm high for example and as long as the box needs to be to fit in the length of text (all captions are different lengths)

thanks

Lisa

Capture.JPG

• 1. Re: object styles help
          Javed_ali Adobe Employee

Maybe i am not understanding your problem clearly.

From what i understand you can simply create a Obejct style with the Paragraph Style attribute set to the style you want. Also from the Text Frame Auto-size Options chose Width only and as the option.

But please note if you have generated a live Caption this may not work you will have to create a Sattic caption for Auto-Size to work correctly.

• 2. Re: object styles help
            lisalip Level 1

no, not using live captions because doing this way.

I want a white box behind the black text. 

text has been set in parag. styles

and I tried to do in object styles the white box, to set it at 5mm height and width of text wide but can't do this.

• 3. Re: object styles help
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There are at least two ways you can get the white behind the text. First is to add a [Paper] fill to the text frame (which can be part of the Object Style). The second is to add a paragraph rule with the weight and offset required to make it a background. You will probably want to set such a rule to text width, with some negaitve left and right indents t make an even box around the text. This can be defined as part of a Paragraph Style that you use in the Object Style.

The rule technique is less usable if there are multiple lines, though it could be set up for both Rule Above and Rule Below and work well with both one- and two-line situations where either the rules are set to column width or the two lines of text are identical in length.

• 4. Re: object styles help
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

lisalip wrote:

no, not using live captions because doing this way.

I want a white box behind the black text. 

text has been set in parag. styles

and I tried to do in object styles the white box, to set it at 5mm height and width of text wide but can't do this.

Did you try Mohammed's recommendations? Why you can't do this?

• 5. Re: object styles help
                  lisalip Level 1

peter, paragraph rules wins!!

although lol with time difference I had manually done them all!

oh well will know next time...

I have to check the two lined ones, they may need some adjustment or their own style if it can be done but most are one lines so if I have to manually do two liners that's ok

thank you again.

Lisa