4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2015 3:49 PM by vfxKid1024

Nvidia 3D vision support

vfxKid1024 Level 1

I'm working on an upcoming 3D film, and I would like to use nvidia 3d vision to view my comps in 3d.  Problem is... there doesn't seem to be any way to do this now!  I don't like the interlaced 3d monitors with the passive glasses because the image quality suffers and the viewing angle is bad, and I'd rather not hook my computer up to a tv because... well that sounds like a huge hassle and a bit clunky, not to mention the side-by-side squeeze will mean I'm losing half of the resolution, which was more or less the same problem with the passive 3d displays.

Now looking back through the forums, I know this has been done in the past: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3406934#3406934 Unfortunately, this Gadget Stereo 3d preview seems to be out of business -- their website seems to have disappeared!

LUCKILY I already purchased the plugin (barely a week passed before I noticed that their website just vanished!) and it works great... but there's a few issues with it that could be better.  For one, it forces me to work in 8bpc mode.  In 16bpc mode the image is super dark, and in 32bpc mode it's all noise, which leads me to believe it's doing something silly like reading only the first byte of each channel, which would explain why 16bpc is darker (integer values?) and the 32bpc is just noise (float values?).

The way it works is I have to move everything onto my secondary (non-3d) monitor, and the plugin makes my primary monitor display the full-3d image in full screen, all I have to do is make a comp with the 3d images side by side (though not squeezed, so I have a comp that's 3840x1080).

It works fine, and I could certainly learn to live with it, but there are a few things that are less than ideal.  Say I make a new solid... well I have to completely close down the 3d preview (which takes a few seconds) because the "new solid" dialog box is on my primary monitor, behind the full screen preview.  Also, if I save the project when the preview is active, the save box sort of sticks to the screen and doesn't go away until I shut down the preview mode.  It does this for many other boxes as well.

I suppose this isn't so much of a question, as it is a request to Adobe to add 3d vision support to after effects.  It would be really nice to have a "3d preview" panel, instead of having the 3d image monopolize a whole monitor.  (Side note: please don't require quadro cards!  I'm just a lowly geforce series card owner)

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

Trevor