18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2014 2:25 AM by Gilbert Br RSS

I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

Gilbert Br

I open a 1a, choose convert to 2a and adobe won't no longer do it.

Before I had XP, now I have 8.1

I made a document in Wordperfect 16 (legal version) and converted it to pdf1a and the document opened in Adobe. It was a good pdf1a because adobe shows me the blue ribbon on the top of the page.

Then I choosed for: save as pdfa - with settings 'to pdf2a' and all went good - in XP.

Now I do the same and it is converted to a non-pdfa...  - (in XP I made more than 2.000 pdfa's that way)

Prefetch tells me something I just don't understand and ... how do I interprete those prefetch-textes?  (is there somewhere a tutorial?

• 1. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)
          Test Screen Name CommunityMVP

Please tell us what these messages are, exactly and in full (or a screen shot).

• 2. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)
            Gilbert Br Community Member

thanx for your quick answer !

here it is:

Plaatje.jpg

• 3. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

This is interesting. It looks to me as if the file has overprinting switched on, for ICC profile colours. PDF/A-2 forbids this.

You need to stop this. You might be using an "overprint blacks" option somewhere.

• 4. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

euh... I have to stop something  (overprinting)

This is the first time I hear about an "overprint blacks" option

(I'm a noob on pdf creating - I just know the way I discribed in my first post)

BTW: how can I solve it , can you show me the way?

(because I didn't change any setting, I just installed WordPerfect and Adobe Acrobat X a few days ago)

• 5. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

I have not used Word Perfect in many years, so I have no personal advice on this, sorry.

• 6. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

Shoud it be caused by Wordperfect?

When I save a WP document as pdf1a, I get a good pdfa-document  (I can see it at the blue bar (telling that the document is a pdfa)

Its just when I convert that 1a to a 2a that Acrobat refuses to do it...

PS I make those pdf's to keep them in an archive of an organisation. Is the difference between 1a and 2a important for the future?

• 7. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

Let's be clear: When I save a WP document as pdf1a, I get a good pdfa-document you get a document CLAIMING to be PDF/A. The blue bar is only there because of the claim. You can use preflight to see if it is right.

However, it may be that the overprint rule is new to PDF/A-2.

Its just when I convert that 1a to a 2a that Acrobat refuses to do it... Acrobat is checking and applying the rules of PDF. It has only two choices: to fix the problem or reject the file. It might be that Acrobat XI fixes it, I don't know. Or it might be felt that it is an important element of the file that the document creator must choose.

Why such a rule? No need to know the details, the key thing is that, without this rule, you can have one PDF which views in two different ways according to settings/defaults/apps, and that is the bad thing that PDF/A is designed to avoid. Each new PDF/A has more and better rules, and will reject more PDF files (naturally, the committee has to show it has something to show) as well as, in some cases, accepting more. Arguably the new standard is "better" in some way.

The difference between PDF/A-1a and -2a may be unimportant to your organisation. Who made the rule and how did they choose?

• 8. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

Well, I got a new experience: I opened such a pdf1a (that wouldn't convert to 2a), let preflicht control is and it tolds me: no problems found ( "analyse and correct") - but when I do it for 2a it tells me something about 'overprinting is out'

So: my 1a seems to be a correct pdfa and not only a claim that it should be a pdf(1)a - correct ?

And than it looks strange to me that in the past (under XP the last week and year before) with the same WP-installation-file and the same Acrobat X-installation-file,

that at this moment it doesn't no longer go... (but I know computers can be strange )

"The difference between PDF/A-1a and -2a may be unimportant to your organisation. Who made the rule and how did they choose?"

I am retired and help in an archive of a congregation that keeps all the things that appear in the news about that congregation: articels of newspapers and so on.

The purpose is that people can read and consult this articles in the future...

(ps: Test Screen Name: thank you for your help !)

• 9. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

Agreed, the file is indeed PDF/A-1a (not just claiming to be.

Now, if WP hasn't changed, and Acrobat hasn't changed... well, Windows has changed. It provides the print driver, so...

How do you make the PDF, exactly? Step by step, and what options are chosen?

• 10. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

Plaatje-3.jpg

edit:  strange: I opened a NEW document in WP, typed only one space and saved it to pdf1a

It opened in Acrobat and there I saved it to pdf2a and still I got the message:

Plaatje.jpg

(the document is saved but couldn't be converted to the selected standardprofile: convert to pdf/a. Use preflight ....

Message was edited by: Gilbert Br

• 11. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

euh...  Test Screen name... where are you?

(or someone else ? ?)

• 12. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

I've been thinking about this one too. Thank you for the very detailed screen shots. I can see nothing there that could cause this. It might be an accident. Since Word Perfect is making the PDF entirely without Acrobat, it could be worth checking a WP forum.

Some thoughts.

1. You can try Acrobat XI, preflight contantly improves. Doesn't make the problem go away but it might fix it. (Be sure you can reinstall X, with serial number etc.)

2. You can stick to PDF/A-1a. For your archiving purposes it should be fine. The point about PDF/A-1a is that it is a fixed target, and in the decades to come software can stay on the target. Arguably in coming up with endless revisions of PDF/A the commitee is violating its own principles, but committees have a momentum all of their own, and standard churning is now a serious problem for everyone but the people on committees... (e.g. electicians have to constantly retrain in the new standards, yet electricity hasn't noticeably changed).

3. You could try the preflight profile "flatten overprint". It could work.

• 13. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

Test Screen Name,

thank you again for your detailed answer.

Main thing for me is that the saved pdf's however are pdfa 's because thats the purpose.

Still one question: I don't know what you mean bij point 3 - can you explain where I should try to use this 'flatten overprint' ?

PS and, after all, I 'm stil thinking that the problem is not caused bij WP because - by opening a pdf1a - in the blue ribbon on the top appears this text:  "the file you opened is confirm the pdf-a standard and is opened read-only to prevent changes" ...  However...

• 14. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

Flatten overprint is the name of a preflight profile, perhaps under Fixups.

I think you can forget your argument that WP is not doing this. After all, you are trying to use a simple message from Acrobat to prove a different part of Acrobat is broken. Yet the message is complete and true. It conforms to PDF/A-1a.

As I see it, here are the possibilities

- the file actually does use overprint on RGB. If so, this is the fault of how it was made, certainly, as Acrobat won't have changed it.

- the file does not actually use overprint on RGB. If so this is a fault in preflight. Seems less likely.

• 15. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

I opened a pdf1a,

clicked Preflight,

dubbelclicked Flatten overprint and got a explorer-window where I could safe the file.

I saved it under a different name and saved it.

Preflight told me there where no problems as far as concerned Flatten overprint.

So I opened the new-saved pfd-file and it opened with the blue ribbon...

Did I now saved it as a pdf2a .... ? ?

(and if so, how can I set these option as default?)

ps TSN: thank for your patience 

• 16. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

Yes, you can try a second preflight to PDF/A-2a. Might work. No idea what you mean by "set these options as default". You just run the preflight. I think it's possible to combine two preflights into one, but I've never tried it.

• 17. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

"can I set these settings to default": can I change somewhere some settings so that - when I clik Save as pdfA and choose for pdf2a - it wil to wright?

When I do as told in my answer here above, it is everytime a long(er) way...

And: "you can try a second preflight to PDF/A-2a" : now its me who doesn't understand, what do you mean ?

(and 'combining two preflights into one' : thats also Latin for me...) - remember: I'm just a noob in producing pdfs - I just know (knew) my way to make a simple pdfa, that's all.

Beside that, I have two questions:

1 can you (I ?) see if a document is a pdf1a or 2a ?

2 And at once I thought: can't I make a macro to save a pdf1a to pdf2a ? (and can I than place it in my Quick ... bar ?(how is the English translation?)

• 18. Re: I can't save a pdf1a to pdf2a  (acrobat X)

May I kick my topic ?