23 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2014 12:35 AM by KazzAw

How to use Photoshop CS6

KazzAw

Hi Peeps,

I have been using Photoshop Elements 4.0 but now I have to switch to Photoshop CS6 as there are some printing issues with Elements 4.0.

I would like to seek for your kind advices how to use Photoshop CS6 as I can't seems to find the answer in support link.

In Elements 4.0, there is a Pencil mode we can use and set the size but i did not find it in CS6 except the Pen mode.

As well as in Elements 4.0, i can show grid lines as i need to make the images centralised but i cant find in CS6 also, the option is greyed-out.

May i seek for the users/experts of Photoshop CS6 to enlighten me?

Thank you so much.

Best Regards,

Kazz

• 1. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The pencil tool is in the fly out with the brush tool. (lowercase b) Holding down the shift key will cycle through the tools in that fly ouy. You can also hover over the brush tool or right click the brush tool to see the flyout.

For the grid:

View>Show>Grid or ctrl + ' (windows)  cmd + ' (mac)

• 2. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6
            KazzAw Level 1

Hihi Silkrooster,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

May I still seek further assistance from you? As I simply can't get the pencil line that I wants.

In Elements 4.0, I just have to simply select Pencil -> Size: 3 px, Mode: Normal Opacity: 100% and I can get the size of the pencil line that I need.

See attached screenshot below: -

Image 1.png

But in CS6, i tried the combination of 2B pencil -> Size: 3 px, Mode: Normal Opacity: 100%, but it does not work so i go to extend to set Brush Tip Shape. 

See green box 1: its the pencil line that I want.

See green box 2: its set to 3px, square pointed, softness: 100% but it's too big and looks faded.

See green box 3: All is the same except is 2px but at least it looks so much alike to the one i need (dark, black solid line) but it's too thin.

Image 2.png

Can enlighten me how to go about it plssss?

Thank you so much.

Best Regards,

Kazz

• 3. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6

Ok, maybe this will help. You were using the brush tool not the pencil tool.

Brush tool 100% softness:

brush-100 soft.png

Brush tool 0% softness:

brush-0 soft.png

Pencil tool 0% hardness:

pencil 0 hardness.png

Pencil tool 100% harness:

pencil 100 hardness.png

See the tool on the left side of screen, hover over it to change it from brush to pencil.

• 4. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6
                KazzAw Level 1

Hihi Silkrooster,

Thanks thanks once again for your reply.

Yes, i did change it to 2B pencil but it is still a brush icon.

I can't hover on the left menu flyout to change. But i changed via the top icon and change it to 2B pencil but it is still a brush icon. Why is this so? Is there a problem? Can advise me how to overcome?

The pencil line at brush tip 30 and 100% hardness seems ok but it's like grey not black.

I can't try out due to I still can't get the pencil icon.

Screenshot as below: - You see, I have already selected 2B pencil but the icon still does not change.

Image 1.png

Pls assist, thank you so much.

Best Regards,

Kazz

• 5. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6

Don't choose from there, choose from the toolbar on the left.

brush-pencil tools.png

• 6. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6
                    KazzAw Level 1

Oh so you can see this screen.

But i cannot. I mouse over it, there is no selection.

Not only this brush icon, all icons at the left menu, i mouse over there is no selection.

Click on it also no selection given.

How?

• 7. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6

Have you tried right clicking on it? Apparently the hover mode changed or I think it did. I now have to hold down the mouse button while over the icon. Maybe I was just imagining that it was hover over only.  Sorry about that...

• 8. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6

One more thing, holding down the alt key while clicking the left mouse button will cycle through the tools in the flyout. Something new I guess.

• 9. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6
                          KazzAw Level 1

I got it already. Right click works!!!! Thank you so much!!!! 

And i must change the color to be black else will be grey.

OMG! CS6 is so difficult to use then?? It is just an underline!!!

• 10. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6
                            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Silkrooster wrote:

One more thing, holding down the alt key while clicking the left mouse button will cycle through the tools in the flyout. Something new I guess.

Hey!  I didn't know that.  Nice one Bruce.

• 11. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6

Why not use the underline that is part of the text?

underlined text.png

• 12. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6

Trevor Dennis wrote:

Silkrooster wrote:

Hey!  I didn't know that.  Nice one Bruce.

Thanks, yeah I am always learning something new. Which is one reason why I love helping others. As some features I may never use otherwise. We all benefit...

• 13. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6
                                  KazzAw Level 1

But i am underlining the image not a part of the text, can it still be used?

Silkrooster, can i ask you, in elements 4.0 there is this undo/redo arrow, but in CS6 there isnt.

I can undo/redo using ctrl Z but only 1 time, by clicking edit can also use 1 time.

But in elements 4.0, i can undo and redo many times.

See the screenshot boxed up in red circle : -

Image 1.png

How to do it in CS6?

Thank you.

• 14. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6
                                    Ged Traynor Adobe Community Professional

You can do muliple undo's by holding the ctrl and alt keys together and hitting the Z key on the keyboard, you can also use the History Panel's pull out menu on the right hand side to undo changes, see screen shot

Untitled.jpg

You can draw a straight line with the brush tool by

Selecting a small hard round brush, click on the canvas and then hold down the shift key and click on the next location where you want the line to finish

You can also use the line tool, see image below, holding down the shift key will keep the line horizontal.

Untitled1.jpg

Plenty of help from this link

http://help.adobe.com/archive/en/photoshop/cs6/photoshop_reference.pdf

• 15. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6
                                      KazzAw Level 1

HI All,

Thank you so much.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Thank you thank you!

• 16. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6
                                        KazzAw Level 1

Dear Silkrooster, Dear All,

May i ask why in CS6, i cant find any A4/A3 etc in the preset list: -

See below: -

CS6 1.png

But in Elements 4.0, there is, as I would need to select the paper size accordingly to A4 or A3

See below: -
                                        Elements 1.png

Thank you.

• 17. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6

The clue is in the words 'International Paper'. 

A4.jpg

• 18. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6
                                            Nguyen Van Dau

holding down the alt key while clicking the left mouse button will cycle through the tools in the flyout

• 19. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6
                                              KazzAw Level 1

Ohh manz! Thanks Trevor!

May I also ask why the i cant resize the image? When i click on the move icon, it does not shows me the coordinates to adjust the image size.

See screen below: -

CS 1.png

But in Elements 4.0, i can directly resize and it will shows the coordinates

See screenshot below: -

Elements 1.png

Thanksss.

• 20. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6

AFAIK the 'Show Transform Controls' option with the Move tool, has all the functionality of Free Transform, but you need to click on one of the handles before the other options become available. After clicking on a handle, all the size, rotation, etc. boxes appear on the Options bar, plus you can right click inside the image and chose other FT options like Warp, Skew, and Perspective etc.

I can't say as I ever use it though, because if I want to transform an object, I go straight to Free Transform.

• 21. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6
                                                  KazzAw Level 1

Dear Trevor Dennis,

Thank you so much for replying.

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you are referring to.

I do not need free form actually.

I just want to adjust, making it bigger or smaller only.

I do not know why the coordinates just does not show, not allowing to re-size.

Thank you.

• 22. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6

It will do.  If you have the Move tool selected, and 'Show transform handles' checked in the options bar, when you click on a layer, the resize handles will appear at the boundry of the layer's contents.  But there will be no size options in the Options bar.

But if you click on any of the handles, those options will appear and be usable.

Transform Handles.jpg

• 23. Re: How to use Photoshop CS6
                                                      KazzAw Level 1

Oh yes oh yes! Thank you so much!

Yes it showed on the top. I still thought is one of the option, like you right click on it, it will give u a few selections.

Did not notice the top.

I can do it now!!! Thanks so much!