26 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2007 12:50 PM by roguewave2007

FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8

janericster Level 1
      Just got the CS3 Web Premium boxed collection about a week ago and was very excited about the new features in Fireworks 9.

However, after using it for a few days, I'm going back to FW8 for all of my production work until Adobe releases a patch and fixes some of these issues. I've already reported some of these bugs on the Adobe bug form.

1) Very very slow. Takes up to 10 seconds for the interface to fully launch, and then it freezes up for about 20 seconds after that before it finally responds to any interaction. Note that this is very similar to the problem that many users had with Photoshop CS2 after it was released. If we try to click anything during this first 30 seconds, the program "crashes" with NOT RESPONDING. If we just wait and ignore it, then FW9 finally comes to life after 30 seconds.

2) Some things don't work like they did in FW8, i.e. using PageUp and PageDown to navigate between frames.

3) Buggy: open a multiple frame FW8 file that has custom named frame labels, make changes, save and close. Then open the same file in FW9 and almost all of the time the custom labels have been deleted.

4) Many 3rd party plugins that work with FW8 are now crashing FW9.

5) The Photoshop Live Effects feature is flaky...also crashes a lot.

Curious if anyone else has similar issues?

Windows XP SP2
      2 GB RAM
      over 300 GB free space

• 1. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
          Wade S Zimmerman Level 1
          Takes between five and six seconds to launch and ready to go. MacPro FW9 seems very responsive and doesn't crash here.
          • 2. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
            danwent
            I've noticed that the backspace and delete keys don't work in the Text Editor window, unless you select the text first (Mac OSX). I've always found Fireworks to be buggy and flaky.
            • 3. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
              Wade S Zimmerman Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: danwent
              I've noticed that the backspace and delete keys don't work in the Text Editor window, unless you select the text first (Mac OSX). I've always found Fireworks to be buggy and flaky.

This is very strange as I am able to back space and delete just fine and can use the forward delete key as well just as expected.

I have to say to both of you I think you have some conflicts on your computer or some much more serious problems.

However if you are on a Mac definitely repair your permissions and then from the install OS install disk run the disk utility to verify the integrity of your start up. I expect it needs to repaired. Disk Warrior would be good for that and then you might want to get a free cache cleaning utility called Cache Out X.

You guys definitely have problems
              • 4. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                Level 7
                For me it started in seconds for weeks. Now, suddently it does exactly what
                you describe when launching but I have to wait for MINUTES for FW to come to
                life instead of seconds. It's desesperating.

I've been trying to find a fix without success. Now I have to launch
                Fireworks CS3, take a coffe and back to work everytime.

Regards,
                Angel.

> 1) Very very slow. Takes up to 10 seconds for the interface to fully
                > launch,
                > and then it freezes up for about 20 seconds after that before it finally
                > responds to any interaction. Note that this is very similar to the problem
                > that
                > many users had with Photoshop CS2 after it was released. If we try to
                > click
                > anything during this first 30 seconds, the program "crashes" with NOT
                > RESPONDING. If we just wait and ignore it, then FW9 finally comes to life
                > after
                > 30 seconds.

• 5. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                  ll600
                  When I have multiple windows open and I switch to Fireworks CS3, there is a long delay of many seconds before I can use the application. This is unlike any other application on my system, including any of the other CS3 programs.

I'm running Windows XP Pro, and I had the same problem with the last version of Fireworks as well.
                  • 6. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                    Level 7
                    ll600 wrote:
                    > When I have multiple windows open and I switch to Fireworks CS3, there is a
                    > long delay of many seconds before I can use the application.

There's your answer. Fireworks is a processor intense app. Shut down
                    other programs while you are working with it, especially thing that run
                    in the background, like virus scanners.

--
                    Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.projectseven.com
                    Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                    CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                    http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                    • 7. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                      ll600 Level 1
                      Thanks for your reply, Linda. I'll try an experiment with less apps open - but one point.....

If I can't run Fireworks with Dreamweaver CS3, Photoshop CS3 and Bridge CS3 open, what is the point? It is a suite of applications and will become almost useless (like it is now with the long delay) if I can't move back and forth as I am working with Fireworks. You tweak something, export a new slice and go into Dreamweaver, then back to Fireworks, etc.

And, isn't Photoshop CS3 a processor intensive app? I don't have any delay issues at all with that program.
                      • 8. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                        Level 7
                        ll600 wrote:

> If I can't run Fireworks with Dreamweaver CS3, Photoshop CS3 and Bridge CS3
                        > open, what is the point?

How much RAM is available on your machine? What do you need Photoshop
                        and Bridge open for?

It is a suite of applications

That doesn't mean you are supposed to run them all at the same time.

> if I can't move back and forth as
                        > I am working with Fireworks. You tweak something, export a new slice and go
                        > into Dreamweaver, then back to Fireworks, etc.

Why aren't you waiting to you completely finish the mockup before you
                        export?

> And, isn't Photoshop CS3 a processor intensive app?

Not the way vector based apps like Fireworks are.

--
                        • 9. FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                          ll600 Level 1
                          Hi, Linda,

With all due respect, are you kidding?

Why would I want to have multiple programs open at the same time? Why would I want to have Bridge open at the same time with Fireworks?

Did you ever copy or drag images from Illustrator to Photoshop. Did you ever use Bridge to prioritize and sort your images, or look at stock photos? Or use Photoshop, inDesign and Illustrator to create a brochure?

Did you ever refine design elements in Fireworks and then see what it looks like in Dreamweaver and then continue tweaking?

Sincerely, I don't understand how you work without doing these things. Remember MS-DOS when you could only run one application at a time?

By the way, Ilustrator is a vector app and doesn't delay for 30 seconds when you switch to it, and Photoshop has plenty of vector features. The only program that has this kind of delay is Fireworks, not just in the Adobe suite but of any program I run on both Windows or OS X. Somethings wrong.

> If I can't run Fireworks with Dreamweaver CS3, Photoshop CS3 and Bridge CS3
                          > open, what is the point?

How much RAM is available on your machine? What do you need Photoshop
                          and Bridge open for?

It is a suite of applications

That doesn't mean you are supposed to run them all at the same time.

With all due respect, are you kidding?

> if I can't move back and forth as
                          > I am working with Fireworks. You tweak something, export a new slice and go
                          > into Dreamweaver, then back to Fireworks, etc.

Why aren't you waiting to you completely finish the mockup before you
                          export?

> And, isn't Photoshop CS3 a processor intensive app?

Not the way vector based apps like Fireworks are.

• 10. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                            Level 7
                            ll600 wrote:

> Did you ever copy or drag images from Illustrator to Photoshop.

No. I use Photoshop for photo editing, and illustrator for print work.
                            If I'm designing for the Web, I do all my images for the Web in
                            Fireworks and never import anything from either Photoshop or Illustrator.

Did you ever
                            > use Bridge to prioritize and sort your images,

I use Windows Explorer.

> Photoshop, inDesign and Illustrator to create a brochure?

Illustrator but not inDesign or Photoshop.

> Did you ever refine design elements in Fireworks and then see what it looks
                            > like in Dreamweaver and then continue tweaking?

I mock up entire pages in FW, including text and mock forms, and nearly
                            always do my tweaking in Fireworks before I export anything to
                            Dreamweaver. I expect it to look the same in Dreamweaver as it does in
                            Fireworks.

>
                            > Sincerely, I don't understand how you work without doing these things.
                            > Remember MS-DOS when you could only run one application at a time?

I sincerely don't need to use more than Fireworks and Dreamweaver for
                            Web design. In fact, I rarely use Dreamweaver because I'm a design
                            subcontractor and don't do markup for sites myself.

> With all due respect, are you kidding?

It mostly comes down to whether or not your machine is powerful enough
                            to handle all those applications at once. My Win XP Pro desktop isn't.
                            My new laptop with three times the RAM, dual Processor, and lots of
                            video RAM is.

--
                            • 11. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                              pixlor Level 4
                              I can have Fireworks, Photoshop (smallish images, <2M), and Dreamweaver (CS3), as well as my email (The Bat!), TextPad, Firefox, IE7, NOD32 (my antivirus), a couple of Windows Explorer windows, and *ahem* Live Messenger open at the same time.

I have Vista running on 2G of RAM. I even have gadgets in my sidebar, and those are hogs.

The antivirus solutions from the best-known companies tend to use up a significant fraction of your computer's resources. (I've seen estimates as high as 25%, but that's so dependent on the system.) If you're using a household name, start up your Task Manager and add up all the resources used by the AV processes. NOD32 has one of the smallest footprints available...without compromising security.
                              • 12. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                                I regularly have Fw, Ps, Bridge, Outlook (minimized), a Browser open and sometimes jump to Dw or Flex all on a 1 gig of Ram, 2.3 processor winxp pro. Also always with services running in the background particularly Norton, MySql and SqlServer. All this and sometimes more programs with no fuss.

h
                                • 13. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                  Level 7
                                  heathrowe wrote:
                                  > I regularly have Fw, Ps, Bridge, Outlook (minimized), a Browser open and
                                  > sometimes jump to Dw or Flex all on a 1 gig of Ram, 2.3 processor winxp pro.
                                  > Also always with services running in the background particularly Norton, MySql
                                  > and SqlServer. All this and sometimes more programs with no fuss.
                                  >
                                  > h
                                  >

XP PRO on my Intel Celeron laptop. 2 GB RAM, 60 GB harddrive. I can run
                                  FW, PS, Bridge, Thunderbird, Firefox and DW without any noticeable
                                  issues. AVG running virus protection. Although PS is only in use when
                                  I'm working on RAW files or high res images.

Make sure you have all the latest patches for FW installed as that may help.

--
                                  Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                                  Extending Knowledge, Daily
                                  http://www.communityMX.com/
                                  CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                                  http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                                  ---
                                  .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                                  news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                                  news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                                  • 14. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                    pixlor Level 4
                                    quote:

Originally posted by: heathrowe
                                    ... Norton, MySql and SqlServer ...

Wow.

Just a note.... Right now, XP outperforms Vista in benchmark tests, so upgrading to Vista on the same hardware will take you down. I like the look of Vista better than XP and over all happen to prefer it to XP, but all my tech friends still prefer XP. I've been reading lots of complaints about Leopard over Tiger, many apps (not just Fireworks) that won't run, won't load, or crash on exit. New operating systems always need some shake-down time.

Other than antivirus programs, do you have toobars in your browser? These can use up lots of resources, especially if they are adware/spyware communicating your browsing habits back to the marketing agency (or whoever). In that vein, have you downloaded any free screensavers lately? Those often come bundled with malware. If your system has suddenly started to respond more slowly, malware is another concern to check out, especially if you don't have a firewall and run antivirus and antispyware software.

• 15. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                      Level 7
                                      Linda -

I ahve to disagree with you here ... this is a problem I have had since day
                                      one with FWCS3 (my machine is quite fast with 2gb ram; vista with Aero
                                      off). Whenever I open FWCS3 (at home, or on a less-powerful machine at work
                                      with vista sans Aero) the program itself opens as fast as would be expected
                                      but I have to wait 20-45 seconds before anything (e.g. the file menu; the
                                      quick start window; or in the case I am diectly opening an img, the tools on
                                      the left) becomes clickable. In fact, if I try to click anything FW grays
                                      out and the title bar says "not responding" until the 20-45 seconds is up.

I've done some searching on google and found that others are seeing this
                                      behavior as well. People responded to my complaints about FW8 requiring that
                                      I turn Aero off by (rightly) saying that Adobe/MM did not design FW8 for
                                      vista because it was not available yet... well, vista was available to Adobe
                                      during the FWCS3 yet I still need to turn off Aero for the same reasons the
                                      OP gave.

Any other thoughts?

Alex

"Linda Rathgeber" <lightly@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
                                      news:fjubl7$e7n$4@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > ll600 wrote:
                                      >> When I have multiple windows open and I switch to Fireworks CS3, there is
                                      >> a long delay of many seconds before I can use the application.
                                      >
                                      > There's your answer. Fireworks is a processor intense app. Shut down other
                                      > programs while you are working with it, especially thing that run in the
                                      > background, like virus scanners.
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                                      > --------------------------------------------------------------
                                      > http://www.projectseven.com
                                      > Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                                      > CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                                      > http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                                      > --------------------------------------------------------------

• 16. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                        pixlor Level 4
                                        quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                        Linda -

I ahve to disagree with you here ... this is a problem I have had since day
                                        one with FWCS3 (my machine is quite fast with 2gb ram; vista with Aero
                                        off). Whenever I open FWCS3 (at home, or on a less-powerful machine at work
                                        with vista sans Aero) the program itself opens as fast as would be expected
                                        but I have to wait 20-45 seconds before anything (e.g. the file menu; the
                                        quick start window; or in the case I am diectly opening an img, the tools on
                                        the left) becomes clickable. In fact, if I try to click anything FW grays
                                        out and the title bar says "not responding" until the 20-45 seconds is up.
                                        Any other thoughts?

Alex

Alex,

I'm running Fireworks under Vista on a 2G machine with Aero on....plus a bunch of other stuff. When I start Fireworks, the menu is only greyed out for about the length of time it takes me to move my mouse up to it. My version is 9.0.0.118. I really don't think it's Fireworks per se, but probably something specific to your hardware or other software. My machine is home-built, therefore it has no vendor crapware on it to gum it up. I have an efficient, small-footprint antivirus and no programs of dubious provenance.

I guess my main point is, that not everyone is having the same trouble, so it can't be Fireworks. It's possible it's an interaction with something else, but it can't be Fireworks alone.

• 17. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                          Level 7
                                          ll600 wrote:
                                          > When I have multiple windows open and I switch to Fireworks CS3, there is a
                                          > long delay of many seconds before I can use the application. This is unlike any
                                          > other application on my system, including any of the other CS3 programs.
                                          >
                                          > I'm running Windows XP Pro, and I had the same problem with the last version
                                          > of Fireworks as well.

I really comes down to computing power. I typically run more apps than
                                          you do when working on a Web design (typically Fireworks, Dreamweaver,
                                          Studiometry, MindManager, a couple of browsers all at once and I can
                                          fire up Illustrator, Bridge, Photoshop, Office apps or Thunderbird as
                                          needed. I never run into any slowdowns in any of the apps. But I do have
                                          4GB of Ram in a AMD Athlon X2 5200+ Dual Core 64 with a graphics card
                                          with 640 MB of on board Ram (NVidia 8800GTS). All that under Vista 64
                                          Ultimate. So I run the suite under a full 64-bit environment and
                                          although the Suite apps are not optimized for that yet, it does make a
                                          difference in how the OS managers resources.

The one question you've been asked I didn't see you answer is the amount
                                          of Ram you have in your computer. I'd also ask what is your processor's
                                          make and speed and what type of graphics card you have. You do need some
                                          serious processing power to run multiple suite apps nowadays. I do
                                          agree with you that you should be able to run all the apps you listed
                                          concurrently, your hardware may just not be able to handle it.

--
                                          Stéphane Bergeron
                                          reach:connect:communicate
                                          www.webfocusdesign.com
                                          blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                                          www.pixelyzed.com
                                          • 18. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                            Level 7
                                            pixlor wrote:
                                            > Just a note.... Right now, XP outperforms Vista in benchmark tests,

Not in 64-bit environment and it really depends on what hardware. My
                                            conputer was built specifically for Vista 64 Ultimate and it outperforms
                                            any XP machine I've tried. Vista does need more RAM than XP though and
                                            1GB will just not cut it with Vista. If you give it enough though, it
                                            runs amazingly well and has been more stable than XP for me.

--
                                            Stéphane Bergeron
                                            www.webfocusdesign.com
                                            www.pixelyzed.com
                                            • 19. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                              Level 7
                                              Pixlor:

For me, nothing is grayed out ... just not clicakble. From the moment the
                                              start screen loads, there is a delay (20-45 seconds) before I can actually
                                              click on "New Document," or for that matter before my mouse turns to
                                              "pointer." I assume you do not see this delay.

My machine is a Dell Inspiron E1505 but I have been very thurough about
                                              removing all the garbage they put on it (with the exception of McAfee
                                              Security Center)... I just spent the last hour killing processes and
                                              starting FW ... As far as I can see, Mcafee AV is not the problem and
                                              neither is any other process I can find ...

Other thoughts: what video card do you have? Mine is an ATI Mobility Radeon
                                              X1400...

Alex

"pixlor" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                              news:fk2bo4$pn9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                              >
                                              quote:

> Linda -
                                              >
                                              > I ahve to disagree with you here ... this is a problem I have had since
                                              > day
                                              > one with FWCS3 (my machine is quite fast with 2gb ram; vista with Aero
                                              > off). Whenever I open FWCS3 (at home, or on a less-powerful machine at
                                              > work
                                              > with vista sans Aero) the program itself opens as fast as would be
                                              > expected
                                              > but I have to wait 20-45 seconds before anything (e.g. the file menu; the
                                              > quick start window; or in the case I am diectly opening an img, the tools
                                              > on
                                              > the left) becomes clickable. In fact, if I try to click anything FW grays
                                              > out and the title bar says "not responding" until the 20-45 seconds is up.
                                              > ...
                                              > Any other thoughts?
                                              >
                                              > Alex
                                              >

>
                                              > Alex,
                                              >
                                              > I'm running Fireworks under Vista on a 2G machine with Aero
                                              > on....plus
                                              > a bunch of other stuff. When I start Fireworks, the menu is only greyed
                                              > out for
                                              > about the length of time it takes me to move my mouse up to it. My version
                                              > is
                                              > 9.0.0.118. I really don't think it's Fireworks per se, but probably
                                              > something
                                              > specific to your hardware or other software. My machine is home-built,
                                              > therefore it has no vendor crapware on it to gum it up. I have an
                                              > efficient,
                                              > small-footprint antivirus and no programs of dubious provenance.
                                              >
                                              > I guess my main point is, that not everyone is having the same trouble, so
                                              > it
                                              > can't be Fireworks. It's possible it's an interaction with something else,
                                              > but
                                              > it can't be Fireworks alone.
                                              >
                                              >
                                              >

• 20. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                                pixlor Level 4
                                                Alex,

No, I see no delay. I start Fireworks, I get the gold startup splash, then I have menu available.

My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS. (I have a widescreen monitor, and it was one of the compatible cards.) It's moderately powerful, but certainly not anything to make a gamer drool, even though it's for that market.

Hmm. Under Control Panel, System and Maintenance, Performance Information and Tools, what does your system rate? Mine is overall a 4.1:
                                                Processor 5.3
                                                Memory: 5.7
                                                Graphics 4.1
                                                Gaming graphics 4.3
                                                Primary hard disk: 5.6
                                                • 21. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                                  Level 7
                                                  I have slightly less impressive numbers, but I really dont think that FWCS3
                                                  should choke like this (not to mention I'm having the identical problem on
                                                  two seperate computers at work... my home machine's numbers:

BASE: 3.6

Processor: 4.9
                                                  RAM: 4.5
                                                  Graphics: 3.6
                                                  Gaming: 3.7
                                                  HD: 4.9

"pixlor" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                  news:fk3qvg$fr8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                  > Alex,
                                                  >
                                                  > No, I see no delay. I start Fireworks, I get the gold startup splash, then
                                                  > I
                                                  > have menu available.
                                                  >
                                                  > My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS. (I have a widescreen monitor,
                                                  > and
                                                  > it was one of the compatible cards.) It's moderately powerful, but
                                                  > certainly
                                                  > not anything to make a gamer drool, even though it's for that market.
                                                  >
                                                  > Hmm. Under Control Panel, System and Maintenance, Performance Information
                                                  > and
                                                  > Tools, what does your system rate? Mine is overall a 4.1:
                                                  > Processor 5.3
                                                  > Memory: 5.7
                                                  > Graphics 4.1
                                                  > Gaming graphics 4.3
                                                  > Primary hard disk: 5.6
                                                  >
                                                  >

• 22. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                                    Level 7
                                                    Alexander Ross wrote:
                                                    > I have slightly less impressive numbers, but I really dont think that
                                                    > FWCS3 should choke like this (not to mention I'm having the identical
                                                    > problem on two seperate computers at work... my home machine's numbers:
                                                    >
                                                    > BASE: 3.6
                                                    >
                                                    > Processor: 4.9
                                                    > RAM: 4.5
                                                    > Graphics: 3.6
                                                    > Gaming: 3.7
                                                    > HD: 4.9

Fireworks gives me no problem on 2 machines including 3 years old
                                                    computer at work with 1.5GB Ram running XP Pro. It's not incredibly fast
                                                    but I don't get the delays during which FW becomes unresponsive.
                                                    Actually, I didn't get them either on my old computer that died last
                                                    summer which was a 2001 era AMD Athlon 1GHz with 1GB of Ram. Fireworks
                                                    took a long time to load in that machine but once running it was usable.

My Vista machine is different story though as everything basically flies
                                                    in it. My Windows Experience Index rate is 5.1:

Processor: 5.1
                                                    Memory: 5.9
                                                    Graphics: 5.9
                                                    Gaming graphics: 5.9
                                                    Primary hard disk: 5.8

The fact that this is a 100% 64-bit system probably makes a huge
                                                    difference too. But I agree with you, Fireworks should not choke on your
                                                    machine. I really have no idea what may be the problem but the really
                                                    serious performance issues seem to have only ever affected just a small
                                                    number of users. At least according to the number of reports we get
                                                    here. I don't know if there is any common thing that may cause it on
                                                    affected systems. It sounds like FW CS3 ran better on my 2001 system or
                                                    the crappy computer I have at work than it does on your current machine
                                                    which really doesn't make any sense.

The one thing common between the machines I've used in the last 10 years
                                                    is that they were all custom built to my exact specifications by a local
                                                    computer shop and had clean installs of Windows, not "customized"
                                                    installs with boatloads of crapware. All my friends running brand name
                                                    machines whether they come from Dell, HP or Gateway all have had serious
                                                    issues with them, often times, hardware based. All ran better after a
                                                    clean install of a full Windows version. Maybe you should try that?

--
                                                    Stéphane Bergeron
                                                    www.webfocusdesign.com
                                                    www.pixelyzed.com
                                                    • 23. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                                      Level 7
                                                      This computer has a clean install of Vista... whats strange is that FWCS3
                                                      performs very well on my machine once it finally loads. Very frustrating

"Stéphane Bergeron" <new@webfocusdesign.com> wrote in message
                                                      news:fk50u4$o1d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                      > Alexander Ross wrote:
                                                      >> I have slightly less impressive numbers, but I really dont think that
                                                      >> FWCS3 should choke like this (not to mention I'm having the identical
                                                      >> problem on two seperate computers at work... my home machine's numbers:
                                                      >>
                                                      >> BASE: 3.6
                                                      >>
                                                      >> Processor: 4.9
                                                      >> RAM: 4.5
                                                      >> Graphics: 3.6
                                                      >> Gaming: 3.7
                                                      >> HD: 4.9
                                                      >
                                                      > Fireworks gives me no problem on 2 machines including 3 years old computer
                                                      > at work with 1.5GB Ram running XP Pro. It's not incredibly fast but I
                                                      > don't get the delays during which FW becomes unresponsive. Actually, I
                                                      > didn't get them either on my old computer that died last summer which was
                                                      > a 2001 era AMD Athlon 1GHz with 1GB of Ram. Fireworks took a long time to
                                                      > load in that machine but once running it was usable.
                                                      >
                                                      > My Vista machine is different story though as everything basically flies
                                                      > in it. My Windows Experience Index rate is 5.1:
                                                      >
                                                      > Processor: 5.1
                                                      > Memory: 5.9
                                                      > Graphics: 5.9
                                                      > Gaming graphics: 5.9
                                                      > Primary hard disk: 5.8
                                                      >
                                                      > The fact that this is a 100% 64-bit system probably makes a huge
                                                      > difference too. But I agree with you, Fireworks should not choke on your
                                                      > machine. I really have no idea what may be the problem but the really
                                                      > serious performance issues seem to have only ever affected just a small
                                                      > number of users. At least according to the number of reports we get here.
                                                      > I don't know if there is any common thing that may cause it on affected
                                                      > systems. It sounds like FW CS3 ran better on my 2001 system or the crappy
                                                      > computer I have at work than it does on your current machine which really
                                                      > doesn't make any sense.
                                                      >
                                                      > The one thing common between the machines I've used in the last 10 years
                                                      > is that they were all custom built to my exact specifications by a local
                                                      > computer shop and had clean installs of Windows, not "customized" installs
                                                      > with boatloads of crapware. All my friends running brand name machines
                                                      > whether they come from Dell, HP or Gateway all have had serious issues
                                                      > with them, often times, hardware based. All ran better after a clean
                                                      > install of a full Windows version. Maybe you should try that?
                                                      >
                                                      > --
                                                      > Stéphane Bergeron
                                                      > reach:connect:communicate
                                                      > www.webfocusdesign.com
                                                      > blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                                                      > www.pixelyzed.com

• 24. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                                        Level 7
                                                        I have found the solution (for me at least)...

To solve the issue of bitmap editing tools working terribly, it was
                                                        suggested that I turn off Aero ... I didnt, rather I right-clicked on the
                                                        shortcut to FWCS3 and under the compatibility tab I checked "disable desktop
                                                        composition." From then on, starting FWCS3 would switch my system from Aero
                                                        to Classic and the bitmap tools worked fine ..... but FWCS3 still had a long
                                                        delay between the time I saw the startup screen (the one lisintg recent
                                                        images, etc...)

The solution is this: I had to

a) completely turn off Aero (not just switch the compatibility settings on
                                                        FW)
                                                        b) Leave aero on, but remove transparency (rightclick desktop,
                                                        personalize->windows color & appearence and uncheck "enable transparency"

In either case, you MUST NOT check "diable desktop composition" when
                                                        rightclicking the shrotcut to FWCS3 and looking at "compatibility"

Hope this helps others ...

"ll600" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                        news:fjpken$3r0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                        > When I have multiple windows open and I switch to Fireworks CS3, there is
                                                        > a
                                                        > long delay of many seconds before I can use the application. This is
                                                        > unlike any
                                                        > other application on my system, including any of the other CS3 programs.
                                                        >
                                                        > I'm running Windows XP Pro, and I had the same problem with the last
                                                        > version
                                                        > of Fireworks as well.
                                                        >

• 25. FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                                          ll600 Level 1
                                                          Hi, Stephanie,

I'm running an XP Pro Service Pack2, Dell Dimension 8400 system with 3.4GHz Hyper-Threaded Pentium processor, an Nvidia GeForce 6800 and 2GB of Ram and a 2 Drive Raid array.

It has been extremely reliable and stable with virtually anything I have run on it since I bought it. The previous system I owned, on which Fireworks 8 had the same problem, was a custom built system I put together myself and it was otherwise fast, stable and reliable (until it's fan stopped one night and the processor fried). Totally different system, same problem.

Switching to any other app, is almost instantaneous, including every single app in the CS3 Suite. Fireworks CS3 is the only app that behaves this way, as did the last version of Fireworks. I was involved in the Fireworks CS3 beta test, and noted the same problem there.

Since not everyone is having this problem, I would have to assume it is because of some interaction with other software. I had a similar problem running Camtasia, and Techsmith was able to point out the offending app. After two releases, apparently Adobe has not yet figured it out. I really wish they would, since it greatly limits the utility of Fireworks. I do not like working with it since there is a 30 second or more delay everytime I switch to it.

quote:

The one question you've been asked I didn't see you answer is the amount
                                                          of Ram you have in your computer. I'd also ask what is your processor's
                                                          make and speed and what type of graphics card you have. You do need some
                                                          serious processing power to run multiple suite apps nowadays. I do
                                                          agree with you that you should be able to run all the apps you listed
                                                          concurrently, your hardware may just not be able to handle it.

• 26. Re: FW9 is slow and buggy...going back to FW8
                                                            roguewave2007
                                                            MAC PRO 4G memory

I will say compared to CS2 it has done (CS3) some wacky things but overall its been great. I really think (not to sound like an apple snob) but I have friends that are on vsita and its not treating their CS3 very well either. Personally my only real bad habit is keeping WAY too much stuff open because I use Matrox Dual head to go and have 3 screens. Another thing to do sometime is completely wipe ( I know this sucks) your computer when upgrading. When I went to Leopard I completely started at square one and I could totally tell the difference from when I tried only upgrading in the past.