2 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2007 6:07 AM by Newsgroup_User

Determining if a Variable is defined with if statement.

OrangeHaze
      Hello, I'm interested in anyone knows if it is bad practice to check if a value has been defined using this method...

if(!myVar)
      trace("myVar is not defined)

it should be equivalent to ...

if(myVar == undefined)
      trace("myVar is not defined)

I'm aware that the first method might not be as clear (e.g. someone might immediately think that myVar is a Boolean), but I have been using this method to check if a variable exists, or is undefined for some time now, and have not encountered any problems. However, if there is something wrong with it I would like to adopt the best practice, especially when transitioning to AS3.
        • 1. Re: Determining if a Variable is defined with if statement.
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          there's nothing wrong as long as you realize that myVar may be defined and !myVar could resolve to true (when myVar is 0 or is false) in as 2.

in as 3, the compiler will throw an error if you attempt to access an undefined variable unless you cast the variable as the property of a dynamic class.
          • 2. Re: Determining if a Variable is defined with if statement.
            Level 7
            In AS3 you have a different way of handling variables. Not all variables
            are given the same default values if declared and not defined. Normally you
            would think this to be 'undefined' but with AS3 you'll get:
            var untyped:*; // (or no typing) undefined
            var boolean:Boolean; // false
            var number:Number; // NaN
            var integer:int; // 0
            var unsignedInteger:uint; // 0
            var string:String; // null
            var object:Object; // nulland all other objects also being null. Undeclared
            variables will only work in dynamic classes (like MovieClip) and will be
            undefined. Otherwise, every variable has to be declared with var to be used
            at all. If no value is given to them then, their values will match those
            above (or if any other object type, be null).

When checking them, a non-strict equality (==) should be mostly fine for
            null values, though its possble AS3 will complain. Your best bet is to just
            use null. For Number types you have to use isNaN() (comparing == NaN will
            not work) and for Boolean, int and uint numeric types, there's no way to
            tell since their default values are real values that those types can be used
            for. Sometimes, for uint, you can get away with using an int instead
            (depending on your circumstances) and default its value to -1. Then, you'll
            know the value hasn't been initialized being less than 0.

"OrangeHaze" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:f37r7s$f34$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hello, I'm interested in anyone knows if it is bad practice to check if a
            > value
            > has been defined using this method...
            >
            > if(!myVar)
            > trace("myVar is not defined)
            >
            > it should be equivalent to ...
            >
            > if(myVar == undefined)
            > trace("myVar is not defined)
            >
            > I'm aware that the first method might not be as clear (e.g. someone might
            > immediately think that myVar is a Boolean), but I have been using this
            > method
            > to check if a variable exists, or is undefined for some time now, and have
            > not
            > encountered any problems. However, if there is something wrong with it I
            > would
            > like to adopt the best practice, especially when transitioning to AS3.
            >